December 2013 Moms

Formula Help Please!

I've been giving LO a 4 oz bottle of formula a day since we're going out of town and my freezer stash is short by one day.  We started about a week and a half ago and she took the bottle just fine.  She did get pretty fussy/crabby for a couple days but I wasn't sure if it was the formula introduction or something else (wonder week, 4 MW, etc).  At one point I considered contacting the pedi because she was so inconsolable at times.  I switched her from Similac advanced to Similac for fussiness and then she turned a corner and my happy baby was back (like, sleeping like she's never slept before, so happy and smiley, etc). 

Then last week, I googled something about Similac for fussiness and it came back that the first two ingredients are corn syrup and sugar.  I was pissed!  I'm not exactly crunchy granola or anything but there's just no reason for my almost 5 month old child to be getting corn syrup and sugar right now. 

Now I switched AGAIN and my fussy/crabby baby is back.  Is it possible that the Similac for fussiness really did THAT much for her and this new formula is upsetting her stomach again?  How long does it take for them to get used to a formula?   

Thoughts?  Sorry for the novel.  TYIA!

Re: Formula Help Please!

• Sorry your LO is being a fussypants. Iirc, it takes a few days when you swtich. We use Gerber Good Start Gentle and it doesn't have corn syrup. They have a "for fusiness" version called Soothe that I don't think has corn syrup either.
  • Have you tried other brands other than similac? There was a thread a while back about ingredients in formula that may help you choose some others to potentially try. We have had good luck with Gerber Good Start Protect. Some have luck with some of the organic brands, etc.
    imageimageimage

Sebastian: March 3, 2010

2nd Tri Angel Baby: November 2012

McKenna: December 2, 2013

• Loading the player...
  • The Gerber Goodstart is what we started with yesterday and she was up every three hours and crying at night, almost inconsolable again.  I gave her some gas drops last night because we didn't know what else to do.  She'd been doing so good, 8-10 hours straight and waking to eat and going right back down.  I just don't know if it's the new formulas or a "baby being a baby" ;).   

• GTown08 said:

To answer tour question, yes, it is possible that the Similac formula made the difference.  My LO gets really gassy and cries on anything but Similac Sensitive.  I don't love the ingredient list, but like @osajia said, I'd rather have a happy healthy baby than worry whether he's eating too much corn syrup.  I can worry about good eating habits with the solids I feed him.  (And re-reading, I realize this could come off as judgey. I'm not.  Just saying that for me, non-gassy baby trumps possible issues with corn syrup.  For others, the math might come out differently). 

If you want to try another formula, just make sure to switch gradually - sudden changes are often more upsetting to their tiny systems than the actual formula. 

All of this, right now to the formula type.
  • We tried all brand of the fussy/gassy formulas and the only one that helped my baby was the Similac Sensitive, so I agree with PP as long as the my baby is happy and not in pain I will keep feeding her with this formula and then when I start solids then I can worry about helathy eating habits.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• GTown08 said:

To answer tour question, yes, it is possible that the Similac formula made the difference.  My LO gets really gassy and cries on anything but Similac Sensitive.  I don't love the ingredient list, but like @osajia said, I'd rather have a happy healthy baby than worry whether he's eating too much corn syrup.  I can worry about good eating habits with the solids I feed him.  (And re-reading, I realize this could come off as judgey. I'm not.  Just saying that for me, non-gassy baby trumps possible issues with corn syrup.  For others, the math might come out differently). 

I don't take that as judgey and I hope my original post didn't come off that way either.  I meant it more towards the formula companies than the moms that use it, if that makes sense.  But what do I know about making formula....;) 

• osajia said:
    It's totally possible that the formula was making the difference. I am pretty opposed to the first ingredient being corn syrup also, but so it is in Nutramigen and that's what saved DS. We are just now trying to get him off that and back onto AR which doesn't have corn syrup as first ingredient. 

I guess for me it came down to seeing DS happy and comfortable was more important that my reservations about the corn syrup. The majority of formulas I have found have that as the first ingredient. Unless you go organic, etc. Also in my experience a baby should be reacting to a new formula within a couple of days. Maybe not 100%, but if there will be a difference it should be seen by then I think.

That's a good way to look at it!  I hope I don't seem like I'm a crazy anti corn syrup/sugar lady, I was just disappointed that we couldn't hold off on that stuff for just a tad bit longer, say at least a couple more months or so.  Just kidding ;).

• Honestly, I think the corn syrup is just because it's easier to digest. Think: if you snack on something high in sugars, you get hungry faster and short bursts of energy. Our babies can't digest heavy slower to digest proteins yet. They need something quicker, such as a sugar. They need the short bursts of energy and the easier to digest. That's why I think corn syrup is first in the sensitive tummy formulas. @VCGolfNYC‌ can totally call me on this. This is just my thinking, and how I'm comfortable giving a formula with corn syrup as the first ingredient.

I know nothing about this topic and am only responding because I was tagged! 

My only comments: 

Corn syrup solids can be used to encapsulate human milk fat analogs. It's also a way of adding calories from carbohydrates vs. traditional lactose, partly for babies with issues digesting lactose.

Feel free to rip them apart! ;)
    Oh man, is it nice to have you around again.
    Lilypie - (V9Ze)
  • VCGolfNYC said:

My only comments: 

Corn syrup solids can be used to encapsulate human milk fat analogs. It's also a way of adding calories from carbohydrates vs. traditional lactose, partly for babies with issues digesting lactose.

I knew you would know all the nutrition stuffs! That's why I tagged you!! All that encapsulating analogs and things ;)

My only comments: 

VC, I'm stupid and don't know what you mean....:(

• You could try enfamil gentlease. If nothing else works then similac sensitive may be all you can do. If that's what makes LO happy then stick with it. I feel the same way about the corn syrup and sugar thing so don't feel like it's weird to feel that way.

• No advice on types, but as for the getting through it mentally...I remind myself that a) breast milk has a very high sugar content as well (babies need it!) b) as a human in our society, LO will be having sugar soon in all it's forms no matter what I do (birthday parties, grandmas, etc.) and I'd rather teach moderation than freak out, and c) so many happy, successful adults I know were formula fed. Good luck : )

Pregnancy Ticker
  • VCGolfNYC said:

My only comments: 

We missed you! So riddle me this - does it really matter what TYPE of sugar is in formula? Is there a difference between corn syrup, sucrose, brown rice syrup, etc? GMO/Non-GMO and organic/non-organic issues aside.
    **Warning: Losses and living child mentioned**
    BFP#1 1/31/12, EDD 10/6/12 Harrison Gray born sleeping @ 18w6d. You changed our lives little guy.
    BFP#2 EDD 10/29/13, C/P 2/25/13, Bye little Ish, we barely got to know you.
    BFP#3 EDD 12/21/13, Baby Boots born 11/23/13 My rainbow baby!

imageView Full Size Imageimageimage
    January PAL Siggy Challenge: Good Advice

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"