Breastfeeding

Not enough Milk :(

I started out really good, had a plan, pumped the opposite breast every time my little guy was nursing, I had a stash I was very proud of... but slowly and surely my stash has started to shrink. I've made it 4 months with BF exclusively and I know that's a big accomplishment. I really wanted to go 1 year. 

I'm not producing enough milk now and I feel like I'm letting my little guy down... like I've failed   I feel like I've tried everything natural that I can think about- gatorade, fenugreek, more milk, more milk plus, lots and lots of water- and not sure how I feel about prescription drugs to help?! I'm stressing about it and I know that stressing about it isn't helping. I know formula isn't all that bad and that nursing/BM for this long is very good, but I still can't help but feel like I failed. UUUGGG... 

I'm still continuing to pump and instead of every 4-5 hours, I've gone back to 2-3 hours hoping that my body goes back to the 'ol supply and demand and I'll get more milk. We've started adding a little bit of formula to his BM because I know in time I will either run dry or I won't have enough BM on hand to feed him, so I figure slowly introducing him to formula is the best thing to do. 

what have you guys tried to bring your milk supply up? 

Re: Not enough Milk :(

• I'm pumping during the day while at work and BFing at night and weekends. Sounds like I need to go on a pumping mission! I will definitely try it! 

Thank you!
  • I'm dealing with the same thing. LO was EBF until 4 mo. I have tried everything to boost supply and I've failed. I can't nurse/ pump as often as many of the ladies on here recommend. I'm supplementing too. Trying to bf and supplement is so hard! It takes my little guy like 40 min to eat and he's 6.5 mo! I understand why people give up, because I'm super close to giving up. But, like you said, I'm proud for hanging on this long! GL! You aren't alone !
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm not the op but my little guy needs 35-40 oz a day... Honest!! He was not growing at all when he was getting less than that. It was alarming actually. Now he is still small but better. He was even small on the bf charts. Just goes to show not all babies grow the same.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"