August 2013 Moms

Another Poll! For the working Moms

ludaliludali member
edited April 2014 in August 2013 Moms
Crap, sorry its not Wednesday...but I won't remember these next week. :-) One more for now...

For the working Moms, do you consider what you do for work today your job or your career? I think there's a difference between the two - my first job out of college felt more like a career, because it had a path and its what I went to college for. But what I'm doing now...feels like a job vs. a career but I love it and hope to be with the same company for the rest of my life. Do you differentiate the two? Explain yourself! :-)

Another Poll! For the working Moms 87 votes

Job
31% 27 votes
Career
60% 53 votes
SS - might as well throw it in the mix
8% 7 votes

Re: Another Poll! For the working Moms

• Job. I'm doing this for survival (money and insurance). It has nothing to do with what my degrees are in. It does not interest me. I will not be here for the long haul.

A career is the opposite.

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerLilypie First Birthday tickers

BFP 3/29/2014 2u2 Let's do this!

BabyFruit Ticker

photo crunchy_zps41233998.gif

• Job. I'm doing this for survival (money and insurance). It has nothing to do with what my degrees are in. It does not interest me. I will not be here for the long haul.

A career is the opposite.

I feel exactly the same way. 

• Loading the player...
  • SS. I consider this a stepping stone. Even though, I've had this company for 8 years now. I don't love it, but I don't hate it either and it pays the bills, and enables me to work towards my next venture.
       image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
    photo s622_zps5a9557e5.jpg photo 7ed57166-3187-446e-8404-f2ef169fe40f_zps238c4d05.jpg photo s620_zps504f3ce2.jpg
  • SS. I consider this a stepping stone. Even though, I've had this company for 8 years now. I don't love it, but I don't hate it either and it pays the bills, and enables me to work towards my next venture.
    Hmmmm this may be more of where I'm at it...
  • @mwalker710 What do you teach right now? What are you aiming to teach? 

• I voted job, but that is not entirely true.  I could see myself moving up the ladder here and I really like what I do.  It's just not something I imagined I would be doing for the rest of my life. 

Picture the Moment Photography: Liam &emdash; 938A7372-Edit       

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Career. That factored into my decision about whether to be a SAHM or a working mom -- my job is perfect and I really love it. I'm using my degree, and I'd NEVER be able to find something like it ever again.

• Cosmic+LoveCosmic+Love member
    edited April 2014

Job.

Is it sad that I feel like I'm not smart or talented enough to have an actual career? Still waiting for my "calling", but I do hope to get my Masters in the next ten years after our family business closes.

ETA: Subtracted words.

"The cleaning, the scrubbing will wait til tomorrow,
    For children grow up, as I've learned to my sorrow.
    So, quiet down cobwebs. Dust go to sleep.
    I'm rocking my baby and babies don't keep."
  • edited April 2014
    @truebeliever925 Currently I have a long-term position in a K. I am certified in Early Childhood and Elementary so I can teach in all grades K-6. K is fun, but very unstructured in regards to curriculum so that's been hard for me. I'm torn between 2nd grade and 5th grade. I LOVE the curriculum in 5th grade. There is so much going on and they are older but not too old, you know. 2nd grade is also awesome because they have a pretty good curriculum too, but age wise they are perfect. They are still too young to act like hooligans, but old enough to not need you to be babysitter in the class as well.

Scratch that- After 6 years of subbing I would love to just have an actual job! :-P
    I'm working on EC right now. I'd like to get into K, but I've recently been thinking about focusing on Title I or Special Ed. I'm not sure yet. 

eta: I subbed a combined 5/6 classroom for a while. They were DEFINITELY hooligans! 

• KQuinonez said:

I voted job, but that is not entirely true.  I could see myself moving up the ladder here and I really like what I do.  It's just not something I imagined I would be doing for the rest of my life. 

This is me, too. I may go back to school to be a paralegal, but even that isn't necessary where I am.

• Sp.Ed. would DEFINITELY get you a job sooner. I know I don't have the personality for that kind of work, but I contemplate getting a certificate so I can actually get a job. 
    I've done a lot of 1:1 work so I feel like I could handle it, but I'd much prefer working with younger kids. I always feel like their more receptive to me (and probably I to them).

• "The cleaning, the scrubbing will wait til tomorrow,
    For children grow up, as I've learned to my sorrow.
    So, quiet down cobwebs. Dust go to sleep.
    I'm rocking my baby and babies don't keep."
  • Job. It pays the bills and provides us insurance. It is a career for others but since it's not what I want to for the rest of my life I don't consider it a career.
  • Job. I personally don't want to do customer service for my whole working career. But it pays the bills for now.
  • Career. I left a job almost 6 years ago to remake my professional life into the career I have today :)

• RevezRevez member
    Career, this is what I have my degrees in and plan on staying in the field.

• Career. I do love what I do and work for a great company. But if DH was ever in a position that could support our family financially (and we could live comfortably) I would love nothing more than to be a SAHM!

• Career. I am exactly where I want to be. I teach honors level British literature - exactly my specialty. I love my sophomores! Next year I'm dumping my junior sections and switching back to freshmen. Never thought I'd want to do that, but I've had it with all the extra crap that goes with teaching juniors. This is exactly what I went to school for (BA in English, M.A. in Education) and what I've always wanted to do. I can see myself retiring from this school.

• @carrotcake06
    Me too! I left a job about 9 years ago to go back to school for my career, and it was a sacrifice for my hubby and me to take on more loans and not go on vacations for a few years, but totally worth it now because I have a career I love! I am a Special Education teacher for K-2. Don't like my student loan payments, but so glad I took that leap!!
  • I'm lucky enough to have a career. My degree has nothing to do with my career though.
        DS born 8-16-2013
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Career. I am in the field I want- even if I don't retire at this company it will be in this field I think.

Also, just to clarify, a person can have multiple careers. Just because a job isn't forever doesn't mean you don't use it to define your working life and the path that goes with it.
    Married DH <3 : 7/7/12; 3 fur babies (2 dogs and 1 cat)
    DS born 9/3/13; DD born 7/22/15; LO due 5/28/18
    FS (age 5) and FD (age 2) to become AS/AD very soon!

• SS.  I love my boss and company, but currently I am an executive assistant.  There is no direction from here unless I were to step into a completely different roll, which I hope to do, but what I am doing "right now" isn't a career.  Where I am is a company worth having a career with.  Make sense?
    This is exactly where I am, except I can't step into a different role (small financial company and I don't have a degree in finance).  I don't mind it because I like who I work for, and I'm only doing this to pay the bills, so I'd rather stay here and like who I work for rather than moving elsewhere and maybe not liking it as much.  I used to LOVE teaching martial arts, but it stopped paying the bills so I had to look elsewhere.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie - (HKbp)Lilypie - (WKbt)
     Lilypie - (2DqE)  Lilypie - (1KYE)
    Lilypie - (RlhZ)Lilypie - (1CAm)
  • starshower22starshower22 member
    edited April 2014
    Career. This is exactly what I want to be doing and after a couple more years of experience under my belt I'll start looking to move up the food chain.

ETA: that kind of sounds contradictory now that I re-read it. I mean this is the field I want to work in and the job I have now is what I wanted to get my foot in the door. I'm hoping to move to a higher ranking position in the same field after getting more expeirence in this current position.
  • Happy to say I consider mine a career :) I worked hard to get my degree and specialty and working in the field I love. I would still like to go back to school and perhaps have my own business some day in child mental health... just not sure what I want to go back for yet.
    **July Siggy Challenge**

• Career

I work, because I like to work. I do what I do, because I can't imagine doing anything else.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"