Postpartum Depression

Have to wean off meds - afraid (vent)

Two years ago, after many years of searching, I found a medication that works for my bipolar-depression and anxiety. Unfortunately, because it's a brand name (meaning no generic form for a few more years) it is damned expensive. MH and I had to change our insurance type for various reasons and now, with this insurance, we can't afford to continue it (literally a choice between rent and medication).

I had awful PPD but was finally able to get control over it after much tweaking of existing meds. Well, my pill bottle is starting to get low, so I have to start tapering. I am absolutely terrified of doing this. Medication changes never go well with my body. I'm afraid because I only just recently got everything under control, and now I have to go and fuck with things.

I'm afraid the depression will return. I don't want to go back to that dark place! All because there is no fucking way to afford it ($600/refill to give you an idea). I have to go back to the drawing board to find what, if anything, will work for me again.

I'm an absolute mess. I don't think MH understands how bad I'm scared, either.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Have to wean off meds - afraid (vent)

• I had the same problem. Try getting it from Canada. I get my meds on DrugWorldCanada. Go on their site and see if they have your meds, then order, then You just have to fax or email them your script, and they will mail it to your home.  I do this for Lamictal because the generic version doesnt work for me and its about 400 per month to get it here.
  • I looked into it (buying from Canada) and the prices were better. Unfortunately my DH is a fucking dbag and doesn't want to do it unless it goes toward our deductible for insurance. We're still waiting to hear back from HR.

• Loading the player...
  • Can I ask what med it is?  Many of the brand only drugs will help you out if you call them and tell them you cant afford it or will send you coupons. Or your doc can give you samples
  • So, I was wondering, do you have any family/other support outside of your spouse?  I know it's an odd question but work with me on this one. . .
  • @sleepingbeauty79 Latuda (Lurasidone). The patent doesn't run out until 2015.

@JSNoto I have family in the area, but by "in the area" I mean an hour away. My friends are 45 minutes away. I am a part of a moms group, but I don't feel close enough to them yet to discuss PPD issues.

• Also, I just checked the manufacturer website and I only meet 4 of the 5 criteria for assistance. Damn.

• @TurtleMomma The reason I ask is that I think that helps tremendously (to have friends/family to visit and hang out or simply take the edge off the day).  We have family that lives one mile away and they don't come by and my neighbors are so very self absorbed that it's impressive to get a "hello" out of them.  So, I sit and rot (hypothetically speaking).  There has got to be something to the face to face interaction in relation to the increase in PP issues.  
  • I would call the manufactuer and tell them your situation.
  • I second calling the drug company and trying to get them to make an exception for you on their patient assistance program. Another option would be trying for find a psychiatrist who has free samples of the drug. 
    Me - 35. DH - 40. TTC #1 since 9/2010. 
    IUI #1-2 BFN
    IUI #3 BFP = C/P
    IUI #4-6 BFNs
    IVF #1 Lupron and Gonal F: 29R 29M 28F
    2 blastocysts transferred 12/14/13
    Beta at 9dp5dt = 285; Beta at 12dp5dt = 925
    It's twins! EDD 9/2/14

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • flclflcl member
    @turtlemomma:  I just saw your thread and wanted to check in on how you're doing.  Were you able to get more meds or did you end up weaning?  Either way, I hope you're feeling ok...I also hope your DH is more understanding about how important it is to take care of your mental health!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"