February 2014 Moms

PPD and Therapy.

NoelMarieFreyNoelMarieFrey member
edited April 2014 in February 2014 Moms
I feel like I have gotten to know you ladies over the time I have been a part of this board, so I am comfortable coming out with this in hopes that others can give me some advice.

A few weeks back my SO and I noticed that I just wasn't being the same person I usually am. At first I thought it was just a phase I was going through, but I still feel the same way. I catch myself passing DD off to my SO or parents because I can't handle her, and sometimes just don't want to be around her (That sounds horrible, I am sorry). I don't want to be around anyone, much less get up out of bed every single morning and venture out and go to work. I also have no desire to do anything baby related. When I first had her I loved to do the little things with her, like baths, and cuddles. Now, Its just different. I feel like I could stay home alone all the time with no human interaction and be ok with it. I don't want to feel this way, but I can't help it if that makes sense. I was confused because I thought that since I didn't have PPD right after her birth that I wouldn't have any issues with it. So I scheduled an appointment with my doctor, and he diagnosed me with PPD. He suggested I try therapy before we go right to an antidepressant.

My question is with the ladies here who have had PPD or are dealing with it, is therapy helping you? (I made a poll because its anonymous and I didn't know if you ladies would be open to sharing your experiences, but if you are, please do so.)

TIA for helping me!

PPD and Therapy. 38 votes

Yes therapy helped
21% 8 votes
No Therapy didn't help
2% 1 vote
I went on an antidepressant and did therapy
26% 10 votes
SS
50% 19 votes

Re: PPD and Therapy.

• NoelMarieFreyNoelMarieFrey member
    edited April 2014
    @madisonpenny I have never tried therapy, but I was thinking what could it hurt? At this point anything will help.  My SO doesn't understand and thinks that there should be some kind of reason I am feeling this way, and I keep telling him that it just happens. So my hope is that it will help me also better explain it to him.  But ((Hugs)) to you, I know you have a lot on your plate right now with LO being in the hospital and all!

ETA:
    @broccoli's_girl thank you!
  • Im really sorry you are dealing with this. No real great advice as i havent dealt with this myself, but i wanted to offer my support. I hope you know this a grest ace to open up about this, and that we are all hear to listen. :)
    I hope whatever treatment method you go, you get the help you need :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Thanks Ladies

@Stophoney that is what my concern is.  That therapy isn't going to help right away, and there is a chance it might get worse?  I am going to try it, and just make sure that if I notice anything different that I speak up.

I thought about taking him to therapy with me. Him and I have been going through a couple of rough patches since DD got here.  So I hope he will agree to do so.
  • Thank you for sharing @Avswolf & @Stophoney.  It is nice to know that I am not alone in going through something like this.
  • I am a dirty lurker but wanted to respond.

Sorry you are going through this, but glad that you have a diagnosis and are making a plan to look after yourself.

I was diagnosed with severe PPD when my lo was 10 days old. In fact it actually started within 24hours of her birth but we thought it was reaction to the pain meds.
    I was feeling very foggy headed, completely numb, unable to think or make decisions, no appetite (I lost 18kg in 6 weeks, had only gained 7 during pregnancy), everything was too much effort, lots of crying and anxiety, and wanting not to exist.

Started on meds, and it took 8 weeks before I started feeling a difference. My psychiatrist pushed me to try therapy but to be honest I can't say that it helped at all. What did help was speaking to 2 friends of friends who had also suffered from PPD. It was reassuring to hear their stories and know that what I was feeling and experiencing was "normal" and that they both fully recovered. One of them also felt that therapy was not beneficial, while the other one I think is still in therapy.

PPD is not a reactive depression, it is a chemical imbalance in the brain. I am by no means a pill popper -hate taking even vitamins - but if you are feeling so bad and want to go the meds route, with or without therapy, then do it.

Everything of the best, and lots of good vibes. I hope you find something that works for you and that you start feeling like yourself again soon.
  • No advice, just support and ((hugs)) to you. I hope you can find something that helps and that you are feeling more like yourself again soon!
    F14 January Siggy Challenge: Gym/Fitness Fails

• I'm sorry your feeling like this, I really hope you find something that works for you either through therapy or medication. Iv been feeling low the last few weeks and spoke to my health visitor who referred me for therapy. Iv suffered with depression in the past and therapy combined with medication helped me then.
  • I took a test at my Drs and failed so I am Almost certain in have a mild case of PPD. My dr told me unless it's extreme the first step would always be therapy. He gave me a bunch of numbers to call and evaluate further. I would suggest start with therapy but be open and honest about how you feel with the dr and perhaps then you can jointly make a call about medication? Hugs!
  • Sorry you're going through this. I noticed myself feeling very anxious and overwhelmed PP. Finally at 5 weeks I decided to reach out. My doctor directed me to a counselor first. Talking about my feelings really helped me. It helped me see my feelings were valid and normal, and that I needed to communicate with my husband and ask him for more help, and to change my standards of what I HAD to get done. That i couldn't be this perfect homemaker and mom and that was fine. I opted not to take medication, but we talked about it. Wellbutrin is what the therapist suggested.
  • First of all, I'm glad you're seeing that the way you're feeling is off for you and you are seeking help. Big hugs to you!
    I was diagnosed with PPD and did both meds and therapy. It helped tremendously. The meds helped me not feel so down and got me back to a place where I could enjoy being a parent. Therapy gave me a way to process my struggles and normalize my experience. For me, I needed both.
    Big hugs again to you! I hope you start feeling better soon!
  • No experience.  Just wanted to offer ((HUGS)).  Glad you are strong enough to seek help.  

F'14 October Siggy Challenge: Animals in Costumes

• Thank you for sharing @Avswolf & @Stophoney.  It is nice to know that I am not alone in going through something like this.

You are definitely not alone! Many of us have been there or are there now. Feel free to PM me any time.

• rowansparkrowanspark member
    edited April 2014
    I know it feels terrible, but it's great you recognized you aren't feeling like yourself and are exploring different options to get some help. I am a therapist, and in general there are no absolutes about therapy results. It depends on lots of factors, like how well your therapist builds trust/rapport and how engaged you feel therapeutically. Therapy is an awesome tool, but hearing the experiences of others might not give you a good gauge on what to expect for yourself. You are unique! And it can be scary talking to a stranger when you're already having a tough time - as therapists, we sometimes forget that. Definitely bring up questions and concerns about therapy itself with your therapist! They're there to guide you through the whole process and can work with you to find the best treatment. Hope you feel better soon!

Eta: posted too fast, dumb phone
  • ::hugs:: kudos to you for seeking help, it takes strength to admit things aren't right. I hope therapy is helpful.

imageimage
  • I just wanted to offer support and say that it's great that you've been able to recognize this and are working out a plan for treatment.  I suspect I had some PPD with DS1, that I never treated, and at the time was really embarrassed at how I felt.  I'm sure your DH will also help you keep a close eye on your feelings and actions, so I'd say if he notices things aren't improving with therapy (which I think is a good first step)...then you can get back to your doc ASAP to discuss meds.  ((hugs))
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"