Stay at Home Moms

Would you go to this party?

A friend's kid is having his first birthday party on Saturday at their house. The birthday kid's family has had the stomach virus for the last few weeks. The last family member to catch it started getting sick yesterday (Monday). Would you go to the party days later? I really really really don't want to go but H thinks I'm being paranoid at it will be fine by then. Yes, I am an overly paranoid person when it comes to this stuff but i think this situation calls for it. Would you go?
E 7/2009, K 11/2011, M 5/2013

Re: Would you go to this party?

• No I would try to avoid it if it wasn't a super close friend or family. I hate the stomach bug, I avoid it at all costs.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Ha, I was wondering if the cake comment would come up :) If it wasn't in their house, I would have no hesitation, but being in their house where all the puking and sharting happened recently doesn't sounds like a good idea to me. That stuff lives forever.

• Loading the player...
  • auroraloo said:
    Ha, I was wondering if the cake comment would come up :) If it wasn't in their house, I would have no hesitation, but being in their house where all the puking and sharting happened recently doesn't sounds like a good idea to me. That stuff lives forever.
    This is SO judgy to me. My whole family was sick all weekend. Know what I'm doing today? Cleaning the hell out of my house and doing a shitload of laundry. Do you have gross friends or something?

I think you don't want to go and are using this as a dumb excuse. It's FIVE days away.
    I would actually love to go as I haven’t seen them in a few months. They are clean people but the virus lives on surfaces for 2 weeks and people are contagious for days after symptoms disappear. Kids can shed the virus for up to two weeks. I’m paranoid people. I know this stuff.

• I probably wouldn't go. Will most of the party be spent outside weather permitting? If so, I might reconsider but if I was going to be only in the house nope.

• auroraloo said:

Ha, I was wondering if the cake comment would come up :) If it wasn't in their house, I would have no hesitation, but being in their house where all the puking and sharting happened recently doesn't sounds like a good idea to me. That stuff lives forever.

This is SO judgy to me. My whole family was sick all weekend. Know what I'm doing today? Cleaning the hell out of my house and doing a shitload of laundry. Do you have gross friends or something?

I think you don't want to go and are using this as a dumb excuse. It's FIVE days away.

I would actually love to go as I haven’t seen
    them in a few months. They are clean people but the virus lives on surfaces for
    2 weeks and people are contagious for days after symptoms disappear. Kids can
    shed the virus for up to two weeks. I’m paranoid people. I know this stuff.

Preschoolers and playgrounds don't ban kids for 2+ weeks when someone is sick. unless one of your kids is seriously ill you're overreacting imo.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • amy052006 said:
    You know who is likely the give you the noroviurs -- the totally healthy looking kid on the playground carrying it who doesn't have symptoms yet.
    false

• I don't think you're being crazy.  From the stories I've heard, this stomach thing going around is hell on earth.  It's not like you're like, "my kid can't go to the park because someone might sneeze on him."  You're like, "this stomach thing, which is reported to be contagious for a long time, is going around and I don't think I can deal with 3 kids who are puking and expelling and will give it to me."  Seems reasonable to skip it, but not bad if you want to risk it either..  
  • Yes, I would go. But my kids and I have amazing immune systems. I would leave DH at home..he's the only one who would end up sick. His immune system sucks.

• Unless you haven't left the house in the last 2 months, you've probably been exposed to it or will be.  I think I would rather be around people who have already had it (and have probably cleaned like crazy!)
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • QueSyrah said:
    Yes, I would go. But my kids and I have amazing immune systems. I would leave DH at home..he's the only one who would end up sick. His immune system sucks.
    This.  My DH gets sick if someone sneezes a mile away.  I do not know what is wrong with his awful immune system.  It seems like our kids have my immune system, so I don't get worry about them.

It does sound like you are looking for a reason not to go.

• edited April 2014
    cjcouple said:
    amy052006 said:
    You know who is likely the give you the noroviurs -- the totally healthy looking kid on the playground carrying it who doesn't have symptoms yet.
    false
    How is that false?  People are contagious days before symptoms. One swipe of the nose and grab of the monkey bar and BOOM! 

Ok. I’ll play. You catch the norovirus by ingesting fecal or vomit particles from an infected person. Yes, it is possible that someone may not have any symptoms yet still carry the virus. Then they go touch a swing and I lick the swing and I get sick. But it’s crazy to say that you are more likely to catch it that way than being inside an infected house where you are touching surfaces that have had vomit on them. And then you are eating the same food prepared by someone who may be contagious. Or you are sharing a serving spoon with a person who may be contagious.    

• Ha, I was wondering if the cake comment would come up :) If it wasn't in their house, I would have no hesitation, but being in their house where all the puking and sharting happened recently doesn't sounds like a good idea to me. That stuff lives forever.

So you're assuming they don't clean and disinfect when someone is sick? You better go to the party so you can properly show them how to handle illness

• How old are your kids? I would not go if they were young. But I didn't go to my father in laws birthday because I was pregnant and people who were going had the flu. And I already had the flu shot so im with ya.
  • cjcouple said:
    amy052006 said:
    false
    How is that false?  People are contagious days before symptoms. One swipe of the nose and grab of the monkey bar and BOOM! 

Ok. I’ll play. You catch the norovirus by ingesting fecal or vomit particles from an infected person. Yes, it is possible that someone may not have any symptoms yet still carry the virus. Then they go touch a swing and I lick the swing and I get sick. But it’s crazy to say that you are more likely to catch it that way than being inside an infected house where you are touching surfaces that have had vomit on them. And then you are eating the same food prepared by someone who may be contagious. Or you are sharing a serving spoon with a person who may be contagious.    

Um, what? According to who?

• O.k., you guys, that was just one crazy jinx...
  • Are we really arguing about the Likelihood of catching this??? It is contagious period! I've seen the notorious clear out an entire classroom at a daycare over a period of 2 weeks! It spreads!
  • Norovirus****
  • This is ridiculous and has gone WAY off the original "would you go?"
  • auroraloo said:
    QueSyrah said:
    I see nothing about swing licking on there, just touching.

Exactly

• amy052006 said:

This is ridiculous and has gone WAY off the original "would you go?"

I want to know more about you, new person.

Not much to say. Sahm of 2 and I used to work in childcare so seeing people brag about what they DONT know about how a virus spreads irritates me :)
  •  Are you talking about me? I did not post a link. I was just saying its crazy to say you are more likely to catch it at a park than a house with an outbreak. Is it possible? of course, just not as likely. I did not see any research on most likley place to catch norovirus on the link, but please let me know if I missed it.

auroraloo said:
    I LOVE that @cjcouple used the link to prove her wrong that she posted to prove her case.

• Not so much annoyed as dumbfounded. You are truly contridicting yourselves whether you mean to or not. It is agreed that a virus can spread. LET IT GO!
  • Ok 2 things
    1- im not comparing someone's house to a daycare! Im comparing someone's house while having a birthday party with 10 - 15 kids running around to a classroom of 10 - 15 kids running around so no its not a joke! Its the same and FYI daycare are more times that not cleaner than someone's house. Not always but most times!
    2 - I was a childcare teacher and NO I did not keep my child out of school if one of his class mates was sick nor did I keep myself ifone of my students was sick. BUT I have seen parents who were able (meaning work wise) keep there child out of dc if there was an outbreak of something. Does that make them crazy? No. It is just a different style of parenting. Thats why god gave us different parents and different opinions. :)
  • I probably would, it is 5 days away. 

Although, my family just got over that thing after going to a party in December and someone didn't tell us their kid was throwing up the day before.  L-) 
    Lilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers

• UGH, reminds me of my DD's 1st birthday. A stomach bug swept through our house the week before her party, with the last person getting it two days before. We cancelled the party because we didn't want people to get sick. My MIL didn't seem to understand the problem, and when I asked her to call all of her family to cancel she kept saying we should wait and see! Most of our guests were elderly though and I try to be extra careful around them. I probably wouldn't go.
  • Not so much annoyed as dumbfounded. You are truly contridicting yourselves whether you mean to or not. It is agreed that a virus can spread. LET IT GO!

WTF who are you the post police? Did a newbie really just waltz in here and tell us to let it go? This should end well.

WTF who are you the post police? Did a newbie really just waltz in here and tell us to let it go? This should end well.

Im the person who didn't just make myself look like an ass. :)

um no you did sweetheart. You will not go far here that I am sure of.
  • Who left the gate open while I was gone? This place is full of crazy today.
  • Sweetie this is a forum for moms with maturity. Not moms who have none. If you cant take me saying the argument was pointless then I dont know what to tell ya. :)
  • edited April 2014
    ETA: nevermind.
  • This can't be real it is too good. I have to be getting punked. No way in hell a newbie with 1 post and like 20 replies is dumb enough to tell me how the board works today is fun!
  • AndrewsgalAndrewsgal member
    edited April 2014
    amy052006 said:
    I swear there is a dude in a basement somewhere who events these characters for my enjoyment.

I am going with this there is no way this crazy is real no way.
  • Haha well believe it. This "newbie" is done bickering. My point if replying was to state that i would not put upsetting people over me or my kids health and that this topic veered way off. Now I have helped it to veer further. So take my opinion or leave it I've made my point. :)
  • AndrewsgalAndrewsgal member
    edited April 2014
    Haha well believe it. This "newbie" is done bickering. My point if replying was to state that i would not put upsetting people over me or my kids health and that this topic veered way off. Now I have helped it to veer further. So take my opinion or leave it I've made my point. :)

. At least you know when you look like a fool and when to quit.
  • auroraloo said:

I would actually love to go as I haven’t seen them in a few months. They are clean people but the virus lives on surfaces for 2 weeks and people are contagious for days after symptoms disappear. Kids can shed the virus for up to two weeks. I’m paranoid people. I know this stuff.
    Then why did you ask if you had already made up your mind?

Are you sure?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"