November 2014 Moms

Stepping up a walk to a jog

Hi ladies! I'm about 11 weeks and for most of my pregnancy I've been walking about 3 miles- prior to preg I'd jog that a few times a week but because of my work schedule I wasn't getting it in the first few weeks of preg. Do you think it'd be okay to walk/jog my three miles today? It's been a few months since my last jog so I'm a bit hesitant and not sure if this would qualify as "changing my exercise routine" and thus be frowned upon. I would probably walk some jog some since it's been a while... Wasn't sure if anyone had thoughts. I definitely wouldn't push myself- just do what felt easy

Re: Stepping up a walk to a jog

• Also- I've never done much weight training but I'm feeling flabby and thought I might do some reps with 5lb weights- any thoughts on that?
  • All this stuff sounds fine to me. If you were active before you can be active now, even if you change your program slightly.

The weight training sounds fine, too. Five pounds is nothing.

The only reasonable caution about weight training is that your joints are looser with pregnancy, so you want to be aware of that. If it hurts, don't do it. A little muscle soreness is okay, but if your bones hurt that's bad.

I injured my wrists playing cello during my last pregnancy. It's the most random things that will bother you.
    Elkanah Brave, born 02/06/2012 7:26am
  • Loading the player...
  • mb314mb314 member
    Yes, I think you can definitely step up your walk to a jog.  Just go about it slowly at first, and listen to your body.  If you feel cramping, stop.  Maybe start with 1 mile run, .5 mile walk, 1 mile run, .5 mile walk or something like that.

I also haven't exercised much in my first tri because of feeling like crap.  I just went back to the gym this week, and I started off with lower impact on the elliptical, and then at the next gym visit, I ran 2 miles, very slowly, stopping in between the miles.  I hope to work my way up to 3 miles. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Without knowing if you are high risk or how long prior to your BFP that you'd regularly been jogging, in general you're probably going to be okay. BUT, I'd recommend discussing stepping back up to a jog with your ob/mw. Running/jogging is one activity that while you might not notice any changes, there are tons of little ones that happen. Since your body is already going through a ton of changes, if it's been too long since you regularly jogged, that might be pushing it. Just let them know how many months/years you'd been jogging for, how often, your average distance, the down time and they should be able to let you know if they think it's safe to resume. Hope this helps!
  • I have been walking almost every day,  this past Sunday,  I did jog for a little bit,  of course I did the whole jog/walk/jog/walk thing.....and I was walking far more than jogging....but thats how I always start back into jogging when I haven't done it in awhile.     Aside from all the extra jiggling in my boobs, belly and ass,  it was just like jogging before my BFP.

I really hope to stay active the whole pregnancy, even if its slow going, I want to keep moving.  

Nov. '14 January Siggy : Work Sucks!

Me 32-DH 38

Married July 14, 2007  ----- TTC # 1 October 1, 2013
    BFP   March 7, 2014  -----  EDD November 17, 2014 ---- Baby boy born November 16, 2014

• I ran avidly before pregnancy and pelvic rest as well. After 6ish weeks of pelvic rest my doctor suggested easing back into it slowly. My doctor was really encouraging in taking things slow, but still reaping benefits. So even a couple minutes of slow jogging, I'm starting to bump the number of minutes up... And it feels great. But like said before, if you have any question just ask your dr.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"