Special Needs
Options

Question for Heart Moms

Hi,
I posted here about Williams Syndrome yesterday, but I still wasn't able to find the info that I am looking for, but I have a feeling that some of you may know. 

Do you know of any hospitals/surgeons in the US who are specialized in treating (or treat often) these cardiac abnormalities:
pulmonary valve stenosis
pulmonary artery stenosis
supravalvular aortic stenosis
narrowing of the main coronary artery
renal artery stenosis

My daughter's first cath was Tuesday and it was supposed to be to attempt to balloon of the pulmonary valve, which is all that her echoes really showed was wrong. However, they came out of the cath lab saying that they couldn't even attempt the balloon and that she has all of the above issues, and that she would need a long, complex surgery sometime within the next few weeks to attempt to repair some of this. 

So, now that we have had our minds blown, we are trying to figure out which hospitals/surgeons would be best to handle this constellation of heart issues. 
I would really appreciate any info/experience/advice you guys have regarding this. 
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Question for Heart Moms

• Options
    edited April 2014
    -auntie- we are actually looking into CHOP so thanks for that info! They have a WS clinic there, so its one of our top choices. 
  • Options
    I don't know about surgeons specifically specializing in those procedures, but when we where looking at hospitals to perform M's surgery (coarctation of the aorta), Boston''s Children's Hospital and Children's Hospital of Philadelphia (CHOP) ranked one and two in the nation for pediatric cardiology, respectively. Given our proximity to CHOP and the high reviews it received from every medical professional we spoke with (including several who told us there was virtually no real difference in the standard of care between the two hospitals), we chose to take our son to CHOP.

Four years later, I can honestly say they saved my son's life, and I trust them completely. Both my boys are followed routinely by the cardiology unit, but the surgery was such an overwhelming success, none of the possible complications presented, and M is a healthy, strong-as-a-horse, growing-like-a-weed boy.

As scary an experience it was, we were as comfortable as possible at CHOP, and their child life staff was excellent at explaining everything to M and putting him at ease. This was no small feat, as he was only in the US for two weeks and didn't speak English, but they did a stellar job. I would recommend them without hesitation.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thanks Captain!! CHOP, Boston Children's and Texas Children's are our top 3 right now. I had forgotten that M had the heart surgery. Hope he and J are both doing well! :-)
    I've been off of the boards since we came home with our sweet girl. She def keeps me busy!
  • Options
    Hi! We are in the exact same boat. At her 4 month we found out she had williams and heart problems. We unsuccessfully tried a cath procedure and ended up having surgery at tx children's hospital. I can't say enough good things about the doctors there.

We may have to have another cath to expand the pulmonary artery close to her lungs because they couldn't reach that far during surgery.

We have been focusing on the heart now and haven't started researching too much in williams. What has been your experience so far with williams? Have you started any therapy?

• Options
    No, we just found out Tuesday at her cath, although her cardiologist had suspected it. We too are mostly focused on getting the heart issues under control at the moment. Going into the cath we thought she only had pulmonary valve stenosis, so we were shocked to say the least.
    I am so glad you guys liked Texas Children's! What all did they fix during her surgery, and who was the surgeon? Although I wouldn't wish this on anyone, I'm glad to have found someone else in the same boat. I was starting to think she was the only one.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
     dcm1156 YGPM!
  • Options
    Thanks Captain!! CHOP, Boston Children's and Texas Children's are our top 3 right now. I had forgotten that M had the heart surgery. Hope he and J are both doing well! :-) I've been off of the boards since we came home with our sweet girl. She def keeps me busy!
    I completely understand, and wish you all the best.  Lots of prayers for your family, especialy your sweet girl.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"