Stay at Home Moms

Kindergarten and starting school (budget question)

What did you but for your kids starting kindergarten? I am curious! I know it is early for back to school questions but I have I start putting money away in the budget!
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: Kindergarten and starting school (budget question)

• We just had to provide a good sized backpack, lunch bag for snack, change of clothing, and indoor shoes. No actual supplies until grade one for us!
  • It probably cost $40 in required school supplies, a backpack, and lunchbox. I bought DS some new clothes and a pair of shoes...so maybe another $60.

Once school started, I probably spent another $50 in school T-shirts, field trip money, and various fundraisers.

• Loading the player...
  • littlelamb99littlelamb99 member
    edited April 2014
    Hmmm...we have our tuition (private school) already earmarked so maybe that would/not pretain to you. 

I buy DD clothes every few weeks (I love to buy a shirt or pants when they are super super cheap) so I won't have a clothing budget.

Back to school supplies--well we are getting a new teacher this fall and she may have different ideas/requirements than the past teacher so I'm thinking about $80 incl. new backpack.  We already have a nice lunchbox.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We definitely had school supplies in K, a pretty big list actually. It was like $40.  Not including lunch box and backpack. Does the school have a website with supply list on it?  It may not be for this year yet (ours isn't).. but our school supply lists are still on there for last year for the different grades. If there, it could give you an idea of what they may ask you to get.

New clothes + sneakers probably cost the most.
    Didn't need art smock, they asked us to just do old t-shirt of moms/dads (etc) and use those. 
    E+C
    (+ hers and his, ages 13 & 8)
    TTC
  • I would say about $40 for school supplies.  The kids are required to keep a pair of gym shoes at school, so I bought a pair of "cheap" ones to leave at school.  We bought a lunch box, ice packs, thermos, backpack, and a water bottle that she could refill herself at school.  She also had some new back to school clothes and shoes along with a haircut before school started. 
    DD~6 years old~born June 6, 2008 (1st grade)
    DS~4 years old~born November 6, 2010 (1st year of preschool)
  • ToastieSimonsToastieSimons member
    edited April 2014
    DS1 started preschool but he needed the same things.  We bought him a special outfit since it's his very first time starting school, a bookbag and lunch box.  

ETA:  The school district pays his tuition at his private school so we don't have to worry about that.
    To my boys:  I will love you for you Not for what you have done or what you will become I will love you for you I will give you the love The love that you never knew
  • Backpack, water bottle, lunchbox, supplies, field trips, yearbook,...those are some things we needed in K. Do y'all wear uniforms? We had to have tennis shoes and that was something she didn't wear at the time.
  • About $40 in actual required supplies:  Specific brand of pencils, two boxes of crayons, 12 glue sticks, 2 bottles of glue, skinny and thick washable markers, pencil box, specific journal, kleenex, hand sanitizer, lysol wipes
    Additional: Backpack and lunchbox, classroom fees of $25, PTA fee $12, headphones $12

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • My son entered kindergarten this past year and this is what we spent (we are in texas)
    Required supplies - 40
    Backpack and lunchbox- 20
    Back to school clothes and shoes - 300

We also started buying his lunch through the school about mid year and thats 2.50 a day.

Hope this helps
  • Spin313Spin313 member
    edited April 2014
    Just to give you an idea...This was our school supply list (yours may be different):
    1. A box of tissue
    2. Markers (thick style and thin style)
    3. Clorox Wipes (used to keep the room clean)
    4. 1 bag of candy (peanut free) or small prize trinkets
    5. 1 set of Crayola watercolor paints
    6. 1 activity book for free time (workbook, coloring book, dot-to-dot)
    7. Paper towel
    8. Boys: 1 box of band aids / Girls: 1 container of Play-doh
    9. 1 stamp pad
    10. 70 page spiral notebook
    11. 1 white, 1⁄2 inch, three ring binder with clear plastic cover (to slide page into)
    12. 1 pair of headphones labeled with your child’s name
    13. Mat (for quiet/rest time)

• We start K next year . We pay a 350 fee for supplies. 
    I hope the erasers are speckled with gold or something.
    Wow?
    E+C
    TTC
  • School supplies ran about $25, backpack, lunchbox, water bottles, extra shoes, new clothes. Then there is all the stuff throughout the year; class t shirt, class fundraising walkathon shirt, field day shirt, popcorn Fridays, field trips, movie nights, yearbook, book fairs, school pictures. Most things aren't expensive individually, but it an add up over time if you're not ready for it.

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

C  7.16.2008 | L  11.12.2010 | A  3.18.2013

• We start K next year . We pay a 350 fee for supplies. 
    I hope the erasers are speckled with gold or something.
    Wow?
    Crap, maybe I'm wrong. But I figured it covered everything for the whole year. Art, gym, everything. I'll learn more at open house.
    What do you have to pay for regarding gym and art?  Do you mean like sneakers and a smock? 
    I need more coffee, I think :P
    E+C
    TTC
  • I don't have a kindergartener yet, but I looked at our school's website, and fees are about $125. It covers books, science materials, technology (all students have an iPad), art supplies, etc. I would assume that the $350 that PP had to pay covers similar things, not pencils and crayons for the kids.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • HA HA. No @chapter79, I'm just clueless. I just checked and it's $360 for "fees". We have the welcome breakfast in a few weeks and I should be learning more. I'm hoping it covers supplies, and whatever the hell else! LOL. It's all day K, so maybe that's why?
    Our all day grade K was around $40 for supplies!  Is it a private or public school? 
    Huh, you'll have to let me know when you find out.. I'm curious!
    E+C
    TTC
  • Private.
    And now you have me scared!
    By the way…I'm rarely on the computer so I don't see pics. Is that a new one of A? I love it! I love those freckles! I lost mine as a teenager and I miss them still.
    Maybe that's the difference somehow :) We attend public. I probably do end up paying over $300 for various things during the year. Field trips, scholastic books, book fairs, teacher needing extra supplies, fundraisers the older kids do (selling in the cafeteria), school pics (x 2), yearbook, events that require bucks here and there, etc.   But it's not a beginning of the year fee, we pay as it all happens.  I'm not familiar with private schools, maybe they have a fee we don't have. (well obviously they do, ha.. just not sure what it covers).

And thanks! Yes, new Easter pic.  She LOVES her freckles.. so do I! They are getting darker and more abundant this year. They always come out more in the summer, too. I hope she keeps them forever.
    E+C
    TTC
  • MesmrEweMesmrEwe member
    edited April 2014
    I'm just being honest about what we've spent each year... It's about $50-60 in just school supplies, then tennis/school shoes (lets face it, you're going to need 2-3 pairs of shoes for the year, at $25-40 each for a decent brand), clothes - you want a rotation of school appropriate and at least a week for each season so $30-50x10...  If you have uniforms it'll be $70/day from head to toe for each season..  It adds up in a HURRY!!!  By the time is all said and done each year we've forked over $300-600 but DD has also been at uniform schools so that hits the pocketbook something fierce and probably takes it closer to $1K. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • HA HA. No @chapter79, I'm just clueless. I just checked and it's $360 for "fees". We have the welcome breakfast in a few weeks and I should be learning more. I'm hoping it covers supplies, and whatever the hell else! LOL. It's all day K, so maybe that's why?
    I bet that's supplies, field trips, yearbook, pictures, etc.
  • I don't have a kindergartener yet, but I looked at our school's website, and fees are about $125. It covers books, science materials, technology (all students have an iPad), art supplies, etc. I would assume that the $350 that PP had to pay covers similar things, not pencils and crayons for the kids.
    Wait...What? Each kid gets there own ipad in kinder? Holy batman! Times sure have changed!
    Twins:BabyFruit TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I totally forgot about all these fees and crap since we last had kids in school. I was just a lurker here, but dang. Referring to another post about kid's money -- here's where that will go! Forget college, we need to pay for PreK supply fees!

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"