Babies: 9 - 12 Months

Low weight- fatten up

My son just went to his 9 month well visit and the dr said he's in the 9th percentile in weight. He's in the 74th percentile in height but she said he probably should gain more weight. He crawls all over the place and is very active. Does anyone have ideas how to fatten him up? What types of food? I thought of pudding but any more ideas?

Re: Low weight- fatten up

• jlpevjlpev member
    Yes focus on nutrional food too but add coconut oil to stuff, you can make pudding with avocados & is supposed to be really healthy. Avocados is a very healthy fat. Smoothies with healthy stuff...but i wouldnt worry to much as long as your lo is eating & healthy.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • jlpevjlpev member
    But dont forget at 9 months breastmilk or formula is what they are supposed to get the most of
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I make a smoothie using full fat plain yogurt, a banana, spinach, and avocado. My 10 month old daughter loves it and it can be eaten on the go. I would skip the pudding-too much sugar and no nutrition. 

Agree with the others-focus on foods that offer nutrition. I really like the baby food cookbooks Start Fresh by Tyler Florence, Top 100 Baby Purees by Anabel Karmel, and Super Baby Food by Ruth Yaron. The Super Baby Food book really helped me understand what my baby's nutritional needs are and how to meet them. She goes over everything, from how much to feed at each age, how to cook baby's food, how to store it, what to buy, etc. 
  • Your pedi really didn't talk with you enough about this.  For starters, when babies start to crawl and walk it is TOTALLY normal for them to slow their weight gain (or even lose) because they haven't yet learned how to eat to offset the huge calorie burn.  He shouldn't be telling you your son needs to gain just for the sake of gaining because there's nothing harmful about being thin within reason.  If he's eating a well balanced diet and getting an adequate amount of BM/formula, he's likely just burning a lot right now or he may just be naturally thin.  You can add good fats (like people mentioned above) but I wouldn't worry about it and I certainly wouldn't add crap food to his diet just to make him gain weight.
    Formerly known as elmoali :)

• Thank you all for the advice.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"