Trying to Get Pregnant
Options

Can't I rant a hot second?? (Low progesterone)

After TTC baby #2 for 8 cycles (1 CP), I decided to see if my OB would take me for a consultation (I read over and over again that most docs won't see you until you've been trying 12+ months).  She provided some guidance and did a progesterone test.  Yesterday she called to tell me my levels are low and is having me in for some further testing on day 3 of my next AF.  

Besides the disappointment I feel for hearing that there is possibly a medial reason for us not conceiving yet, I feel an extreme frustration that I hadn't gone to see my doc sooner.  To my understanding, low progesterone is something that can be remedied.  I feel like we wasted months not knowing that there was something else we could do to help us conceive.  I had pretty normal charts, but 2 odd cycles, so I chalked it up to having a "wonky" cycle.  Those of you dealing with low progesterone, what actions are you taking to help?

So basically, I wish someone told me to go see my doctor earlier in the game.  Although everyone is different, if I read a thread like this a few months back, I may have tried to get in to see my OB a little earlier.  Thanks for letting me vent!  

BFP#1: 6.21.11 - DD born 3.6.12
BFP#2: 10.27.13 - Chemical Pregnancy
BFP#3: 5.27.14 - EDD 2.6.15 - MMC diagnosed at 8w3d - D&C 7.7.14
BFP#4: 1.9.15 - EDD 9.21.15 -  Praying for a sticky bean!

Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Can't I rant a hot second?? (Low progesterone)

• Options
    On what day did she test your progesterone?  And what were your levels? 

TTC#1 since May 2012. Low AMH, High FSH.
    Factor II (Prothrombin) Mutation
    TTGP Award Best PIP 2013 & 2014

My Chart

• Options
    I have heard this is not the most reliable test. Your levels can vary during the day. I had low levels at 7 dpo on a medicated cycle. But not only had I ovulated, I was actually pregnant. If your charts show ovulation, you are probably ovulating.
    My TTC History:
    2009: missed miscarriage #1 at 9 weeks (trisomy 16)
    2010: Infertility
    2011: Diagnosis and treatment (low sperm count, anastrozole for DH, clomid for me + IUI)
    2012: Baby #1
    2014: Baby #2
    October 2015: missed miscarriage #2 at 11 weeks (trisomy 22)
    March 2016 BFP#5, due November 2016.

My Charts since 2009

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'm sorry you're frustrated that it's not happening quickly, but I don't think you did anything wrong by not running to your doc right away. You're supposed to try on your own for a while before you do that, or else everyone would run to the doctor after a few months of not getting pregnant and that would probably be very unnecessary for most. Know what I mean? 

I'm sorry you have a possible problem with progesterone. I hope you get more answers soon.

DS born Oct. '11

TTC #2 with PCOS since Nov. '13

Dx: Low Progesterone (3.3) on 8/12/14

Waiting for RE appointment on 10/28/14

Surprise BFP on cycle 12 -- 10/19/14!

EDD July 1, 2015

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    Agreed with PP. That blood test is crap if they didn't do it on the right cycle day. A lot of OBs will test on "CD21" assuming that you ovulate on CD14. But it actually needs to be on 7DPO... if that's when she did it, then you can consider it reliable. If not, then you should go back on the right day because those results mean nothing. 

Me: 26   DH: 26
    Together since November 2006        Married September 5, 2011
    TTC #1 since August 2013           BFP on September 4, 2014
    Baby Girl due on May 11, 2015

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I'm sorry your feeling this way! I really don't know much about this, so I'm glad that PP's are offering their advice, I just understand the power of empathy. Keeping my fingers crossed that you get this sorted out soon. (((HUGS)))
  • Options
    I don't have any advice because I haven't gone through any testing yet myself but I just wanted to say I'm sorry. Hopefully you'll get some answers soon.
    Married 8/14/09
    TTC #1 since 5/2014
    BFP #1 11/14/14 - CP @ 5w2d
    image  image  image
  • Options
    Wrote this earlier and it didn't post! 

Also, when you did you have your CP? I'm sorry for your previous loss and it is always frustrating and upsetting to hear there may be a problem.  However, I ask the questions above, because if your progesterone is not tested on the correct cycle day, it is meaningless.  If you didn't O, then I'm not sure how worthwhile a progesterone test is going to be, regardless of the day - it should be done on 7 DPO.  It looks like you had an odd 16 day cycle last cycle where you didn't temp, a normal cycle before that, and a short-ish 21 day cycle before that.  

I have read from other ladies on here that a CP can sometimes mess with subsequent cycles. I'm sure some others will chime in. 

Otherwise, I do have to add that no, there is no good reason for everyone to run off for testing after less than a year, in the absence of other obvious problems (i.e. not ovulating, consistently short LP, repeat losses, etc.)  There are many women here I've seen get pregnant on cycle 11, cycle 12 and there are official medical diagnoses and standards of care for a reason.  While it can be frustrating, the medical standard is to seek treatment after trying for 12 months if under 35 and 6 months if over 35.  

TTC#1 since May 2012. Low AMH, High FSH.
    Factor II (Prothrombin) Mutation
    TTGP Award Best PIP 2013 & 2014

My Chart

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"