Baby Showers

Surely this isn't proper etiquette NBSR

t loves rt loves r member
edited April 2014 in Baby Showers
While scrolling through my Facebook newsfeed, I came across an engaged friend asking if she should even register for their wedding since she and her husband to be have been on their own for 10 years or so.

While skimming the comments, (most were saying register for somethings you might need or want--new bedding and new kitchen items perhaps) I saw this comment below. Ignoring the website suggestions, is giving a written "the couple is registered here and here" card in the invite rude? If so, I was TACKY with our wedding invites. Whoops...

Edited for formatting

Re: Surely this isn't proper etiquette NBSR

• VORVOR member
    I personally HATE those little cards, for one.  While I don't care about registry info being included w/ shower invitations - I hate those little cards falling out. Printed on the invite works just fine.

And - I do agree that mentioning your registry at all in your wedding invitation is a no-no.  Your wedding is about you getting married, not about gifts.  It just seems gift grabby.

But - what's done is done.
  • I think the work around for that is have a wedding website link printed on the invite and mention registry on the website.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • It's not considered proper to ever mention gifts. 

While gifts are customery at wedings, they are not gift giving events.

BFP 1- EDD 2/09/11 Missed MC DX @11 weeks D&C- 7/25/10 BFP 2- EDD 12/22/11 Natural MC @ 5w 2d BFP 3- EDD 1/25/12 DD Josephine born 1/16/12

Lilypie - (TUWi)

• VORVOR member
    snuff9861 said:
    I just received an invite for a wedding that specifically has "no boxed gifts please" on it. Umm wow tacky.

This is one of those things that I'm to the point w/ this whole concept, that if I ever get a wedding invitation that is overly "demanding" of the gifts they want, they won't get ANYTHING from me. 

Some stuff I can roll with, but some of this shit is just over the top and rude and gift grabby. 

• VOR said:
    snuff9861 said:
    I just received an invite for a wedding that specifically has "no boxed gifts please" on it. Umm wow tacky.

This is one of those things that I'm to the point w/ this whole concept, that if I ever get a wedding invitation that is overly "demanding" of the gifts they want, they won't get ANYTHING from me. 

Some stuff I can roll with, but some of this shit is just over the top and rude and gift grabby. 

Is "no boxed gifts" code for "we only want money?" Cuz I'd just bring a gift in a bag and be all innocent about it.

Yup, that's pretty much it....and I'd do the exact same thing.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Jags8Jags8 member
    WTAF to the gift cards meant for mortgages?!

Here in WI, it is very common to include a small card in your wedding invite to say where you're registered. Almost every wedding I've been invited to has had one. However, I chose NOT to do that (so tacky). If a guest asked me if/where we were registered, I told them. I also told my parents and H's parents, in case anyone asked them.
  • ArmyWife114ArmyWife114 member
    edited April 2014
    We had our website info on the insert with accommodation information/map.
    This is exactly what we did as well, our website had links to the registries for those who wanted them, and for those who didn't use computers (most of our grandmothers don't), they asked my parents or ILs.  Worked out fine. 

As PPs said, proper etiquette says not to mention gifts on the invites at all, word of mouth is the appropriate way to inform those who inquire.  But, most weddings we've received invites too had a card with registries or something similar to what we had.  

But seriously, who approves of gift cards for mortgages but not a registry insert?!?! Wtf.

Edit: spelling is hard.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Well, I'll be damned. I am going to have to share this new found info with my mom. I definitely had the registry info with the separate accomadations/directions slip with the wedding invites. And most of the wedding invitations I've gotten do, too.
  • EXP_626 said:
    The worst I've seen was an invite I got a few years ago from a friend I hadn't seen or talked to in at least 7 years. It included several registries, one of which was a jeweler. I didn't go to the website, but I assumed it was to pay for the ring or other wedding jewelry. She was also one who set up a FB event for her bridal shower (which I couldn't tell for sure if she was throwing herself) and invited her whole friends list.
    She just sounds like a peach!  @-)
    Me: 30 Him: 33
    Married: August 2012
    BFP #1 9/2013 -- MC 10/2013
    DD: 9/22/2014

• sschwegesschwege member
    edited April 2014
    MrsFinni said:
    snuff9861 said:
    I would be putting this bad boy in a gift bag

Why is the chicken sitting on pears?
    Is it sad that I think I would actually like to get a gift like this?
  • sschwege said:
    MrsFinni said:
    snuff9861 said:
    I would be putting this bad boy in a gift bag

Why is the chicken sitting on pears?
    Is it sad that I think I would actually like to get a gift like this?
    Yes. Yes it is.
    BabyFruit Ticker Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • I refused to put registry cards in my wedding invitations. And people bitched that they didn't know where I was registered. WTF. I also almost always receive wedding invitations with the cards in them. I can't remember ever NOT seeing it. Fuck, some of them actually had it printed in the invitation. Ugh. I must live in the land of tacky.
  • Meery82 said:
    I refused to put registry cards in my wedding invitations. And people bitched that they didn't know where I was registered. WTF. I also almost always receive wedding invitations with the cards in them. I can't remember ever NOT seeing it. Fuck, some of them actually had it printed in the invitation. Ugh. I must live in the land of tacky.
    Must be a regional thing, I have only received one invite that had the little cards.
  • sschwege said:
    Meery82 said:
    I refused to put registry cards in my wedding invitations. And people bitched that they didn't know where I was registered. WTF. I also almost always receive wedding invitations with the cards in them. I can't remember ever NOT seeing it. Fuck, some of them actually had it printed in the invitation. Ugh. I must live in the land of tacky.
    Must be a regional thing, I have only received one invite that had the little cards.
    Maybe so. I'm in the Midwest.
  • I didn't register when I married, and most people were pretty good about it--but I also didn't do Rsvp cards, and that was a PITA.  People couldn't figure out how to respond on their own.
  • Meery82 said:
    sschwege said:
    Meery82 said:
    Interesting, I'm from Chicago, so I guess I'm wrong about the regional thing.  
  • sschwege said:
    Meery82 said:
    sschwege said:
    Meery82 said:
    Interesting, I'm from Chicago, so I guess I'm wrong about the regional thing.  
    Maybe I just know a bunch of assbags.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"