October 2014 Moms

Night Light?

I know it's still a little early but I'm a really big planner and started my registry already. I am very OCD and tend to think a lot about absolutely evetything and its probably worse now being pregnant!

Anyway, I do not plan on LO sleeping in our room. I would like LO to go straight to the crib. DH is active duty and I'll be a SAHM and our nursery is literally right next to our bedroom. .. I see no point in disturbing DH just to breastfeed. So I was thinking about how to do this without stubbing my toes on furniture during night time feedings without turning on the regular light... I don't want to stimulate baby and want LO to adjust to night as dark. Suggestions?
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Night Light?

• We actually used a string of orange twinkle lights. They were really nice and soothing in the middle of the night. (The orange color wasn't as overpowering as it sounds.)

I know someone who used a salt lamp and really liked it, and someone else who lit a tea light before going to bed (eek! not for me)
    Me: 31  ~  Copilot: 37  ~  Our son: 3/25/11 ~ Our daughter: 10/5/14
  • Night lights are super helpful whether LO is in your room or not. As a new mom, figuring out positioning for breastfeeding can make you wish you had 8 hands! Even with a nightlight, when DS was brand new, I turned on the light a lot to make sure I was getting it right.

So nightlights are wonderful things! They also provide a low light option to help keep baby sleepy (and knowing night from day), which makes a huge difference as they get older and there is a risk of baby wanting to play at 2am. ;)
    imageimage
  • Loading the player...
  • We're actually going to be using a Himalayan Salt Lamp. Several years ago, DH's grandmother (or aunt...can't remember) got a bunch for family member's for Christmas. It's currently in our room and gives off a soft pink/orangey glow. Very soothing. They are natural air purifiers and ionizers...and I read that apparently reddish/orangish tints tend to disrupt melatonin levels less?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • yella726 said:
    We're actually going to be using a Himalayan Salt Lamp. Several years ago, DH's grandmother (or aunt...can't remember) got a bunch for family member's for Christmas. It's currently in our room and gives off a soft pink/orangey glow. Very soothing. They are natural air purifiers and ionizers...and I read that apparently reddish/orangish tints tend to disrupt melatonin levels less?
    So.. dumb question.. what IS a salt lamp?? I googled it, but the one link I read was unclear.. is it like a candle? Do you have to blow it out when you're done?? Hmm! Sounds interesting!
    BabyFruit Ticker

• J3nn1f3r7 said:

yella726 said:

We're actually going to be using a Himalayan Salt Lamp. Several years
    ago, DH's grandmother (or aunt...can't remember) got a bunch for family
    member's for Christmas. It's currently in our room and gives off a soft
    pink/orangey glow. Very soothing. They are natural air purifiers and
    ionizers...and I read that apparently reddish/orangish tints tend to
    disrupt melatonin levels less?

So.. dumb question.. what IS a salt lamp?? I googled it, but the one
    link I read was unclear.. is it like a candle? Do you have to blow it
    out when you're done?? Hmm! Sounds interesting!

Nope!! It's actually a giant chunk of Himalayan salt rock that has a hole carved out in the middle for a (small) light bulb (the size of night light light bulbs). It gives off a very soft glow from the inside and supposedly naturally ionizes the air. The one I have has a little click on/off switch on the cord.

• We used a touch lamp that has 3 or 4 different settings so I just turned it on low when I wanted to nurse in the night but that was in our room.  Now she is a across the hall and we just turn on the hall light when we want to see her!
    Bean - 02/19/12
    Burrito -  10/04/14
  • A nightlight was never enough light for me. My DD also went straight to crib but I just put a lamp with a low wattage bulb in it in her room and used that for night time feedings/changes. Then we used ceiling fan light during normal business hours :) PS... Babies love ceiling fans :)
    DD Caitlin 8/2012, m/c 8/2013, m/c 12/2013, Rainbow baby due 10/17/2014!!!
  • With DD I just left the hallway light on when I went to her and left the door cracked open.  It gave enough light for the feed, but otherwise she slept/sleeps in the dark. 

At first i thought this might be a post about nightlights now.  I feel like I need one. I get up to pee so often, but turning on the bathroom light jars me awake. I'm thinking about a bathroom nightlight so I can pee while half asleep! 

• JessAnnJJessAnnJ member
    edited April 2014

I am kind of a nightlight guru (I'm a clumsy oaf, so I have them all throughout the house so I don't bust my ass going to the bathroom or kitchen at night). These little blue lights are inexpensive and the light is very soft, but still bright enough so that you can see where you're walking. They have them at Target, Walmart, etc.:

They also have some really nice automatic LED night lights at Target and Lowe's like these that look nice and emit a soft light: 

Also, for a nursery, Cloud B has a lot of cool products that produce light and sound to soothe babies. Some of them are plush, and some are designed to sit on a table. They're a bit more expensive than your usual nightlight, but they're really nice. 
    We have a nightlight like the top one in the nursery and other places in our house. We also have one of those turtles that produce light and shine stars on the ceiling. I always turned that on when I put DD to bed and when I went in her room. I found the stars relaxing. It turns off on its own after a little while.

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerAnniversary

• We have this guy in DD's room - he changes colors though shades of blues and greens.  Ikea makes a red and orange one too.  I don't think it's enough light to nurse by, though.  I feel like when I was nursing, I would turn on the table lamp with a really low wattage bulb in it.
  • You could leave the hallway light on and the nursery door open so you can see in the room.  We didn't start using a night light until DD1 was afraid of the dark.  DD2 (20 months) still does not use one.

Peanut 1.23.11 ~ Bean 9.06.12 ~ Little Boy 9.24.14
  • We tried to have DS in the room with us for the first few days, and it just didn't work.  No one was getting sleep, so we moved him into the nursery at about a week old.  Like you, the nursery is right next door; so close, I didn't even need the monitor on to hear him breathing.  

We have what I think is called a "goodnight frog," they also have turtles and snails too (ours was on our registry from Target), but it has plush arms, legs, and head, with a hard shell that has holes in the shape of stars on it.  There are three buttons on it, one to turn on the night light which projects stars on the ceiling, one to play music and soundscapes (rainforest, ocean waves...), and one that plays the womb sounds (heartbeat and blood rushing).  The lights glow in blue, green, or red/amber.  It stays on for about 20 minutes than turns off on its own.  I always kept it right by the door, so when he woke up to nurse or be soothed, I just had to push the button as I came in the room.  DS loved the womb sounds for about 3-4 months, and now he loves the music.  He sleeps through the night, so I actually keep the frog in the crib with him, and when he wakes up in the morning, he turns it on himself and lays there for a little bit before he starts calling for DH or I.  Sometimes, he even goes back to sleep, and we get another half hour or sleep.    
    Me: unexplained infertility - annovulatory DH: testicular cancer survivor!! TTC since June 2009 BFP May 11, 2012 EDD January 24, 2013 June 1, 2012 - first u/s, heartbeat 124 BPM!! June 22, 2012 - heard the heartbeat 9w1d 181 BPM!! 24 hours of labor, 4 1/2 hours of pushing, and IT'S A BOY! Welcome to the world my miracle, we prayed and prayed for you, and we can't believe you're here!
  • Ok, everyone. I just thought of this...as a PSA, definitely DO NOT get one of those glowing seahorse toys for your baby's crib. The battery packs get very hot, melt, and have even caught on fire, but FP hasn't recalled them. They're hugely popular but insanely dangerous. This is the toy/nightlight I'm talking about:

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    imageimage
  • Our baby monitor had a blue light on it.  The blue was enough to see what I was doing but not enough to disturb DS.
  • Our kitchen was close to the nursery so I would turn the refrigerator ice maker light on and that was plenty of light for us.
  • I am going to try something like this

FTM - BFP: 1/23/14 - EDD: 10/5/14 - DD Born 9/13/14

• We had a nightlight in DD's room until she stopped MOTN feedings.  Now we have this turtle that projects stars but it turns off after like 40 minutes.  It is just for her, she likes her stars at night.
    Lilypie - (JrNi)

Lilypie - (y35Q)

• We had a nightlight in DD's room until she stopped MOTN feedings.  Now we have this turtle that projects stars but it turns off after like 40 minutes.  It is just for her, she likes her stars at night.
    This is the same brand that we have, but ours is a frog instead of a turtle.  Love it, and DS still loves his stars and music now.
    Me: unexplained infertility - annovulatory DH: testicular cancer survivor!! TTC since June 2009 BFP May 11, 2012 EDD January 24, 2013 June 1, 2012 - first u/s, heartbeat 124 BPM!! June 22, 2012 - heard the heartbeat 9w1d 181 BPM!! 24 hours of labor, 4 1/2 hours of pushing, and IT'S A BOY! Welcome to the world my miracle, we prayed and prayed for you, and we can't believe you're here!
  • bennikki said:
    We had a nightlight in DD's room until she stopped MOTN feedings.  Now we have this turtle that projects stars but it turns off after like 40 minutes.  It is just for her, she likes her stars at night.
    This is the same brand that we have, but ours is a frog instead of a turtle.  Love it, and DS still loves his stars and music now.
    Mine doesn't have music!  I want a music one now!
    Lilypie - (JrNi)

Lilypie - (y35Q)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"