Stay at Home Moms

Would you pass up a free trip to Disney?

AimeeL85AimeeL85 member
edited April 2014 in Stay at Home Moms
If it meant you had to spend it with your MIL? 

MIL told us yesterday that she wants to take us to Disney in December of 2015. It's awhile off, but I am torn between "Yay! Free trip to Disney!" and "Oh hell no. We'll go on our own and pay for everything." 

She doesn't know we hope to have our last baby right around then, so it's probably a non-issue anyway. I don't hate the woman but she absolutely drives me nuts. She's very generous though, obviously.

ETA: I should have said "or vacation place you like" since I know not everyone wants to go to Disney at all.
DS (7 years old) from FET in 2010
DD (5 years old) from IUI in 2012
TTC 3rd and final!: IUI #1 in progress!

Re: Would you pass up a free trip to Disney?

• Maybe. 

We aren't Disney people though. In fact, that'd be about the last place DH and I would want to vacation. So I wouldn't think anyone would offer to take us their.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I wouldn't go. My MIL drives me BSC. DH and I are dealing with her current stressful drama at the moment. In MY case, MIL would have US pay for everything too since she's poor as shit. So I wouldn't even have that incentive. Just, NO!!
    DocumentsMy PicturesBabyBump13+wks.bmp BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • No. I can't stand my MIL but she loves Disney so I imagine we'll have to go with her at some point. I'd rather that she pay for it if we have to do it at all. :-)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I would not turn it down. While my IL's are not always my cup of tea. they are really nice and love their grandson. They would take care of him and spoil him. I would be trying to convince them to keep the boy while husband and I walked by ourselves for some of it.

If she wanted to share a hotel room I would just pay for our own room. I couldn't stay in that close of courters with anyone besides my husband

• Yes, but I like my in laws. My MIL was planning or talking about a bing a Disney trip for this year with everyone but then both SIL got pregnant so that ended that trip.

• Hmm that depends on how controlling your ILs are. Mine have boundary issues so to them their money means their plans. If we had already taken dd and I didn't have any specific plans, then I would go. But if it's a once-in-a-lifetime kind of trip and you just have to do whatever she wants then no I wouldn't go.
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

• I would go. As long as we either had our own room or our own bedroom in a villa. I'm not sharing a room with them and I'm not sleeping on a couch.
  • I would try to remember it was about my child having time with grandparents and not about me. Of course, I would actually suggest they take them alone, without me. :) But I'm a mom failure like that!
  • My MIL is legitimately crazy. Like, years of drug use, she didn't raise her kids crazy. So, yeah I wouldn't want to go anywhere with her. But let's say it was my parents? I don't think I'd pass up a vacation no matter how annoying they can be. They're not destructive or all that horrible, just sort of overbearing at times.
    Because you're mine, I walk the line....
    Landry Mark: 11/5/11
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • No way! Go!
  • My ILs are awesome. But if my own parents were offering? Hell no! I wouldn't go anywhere with them, even on their dime. Not even the moon.
    Elkanah Brave, born 02/06/2012 7:26am
  • KateMW said:
    I would try to remember it was about my child having time with grandparents and not about me. Of course, I would actually suggest they take them alone, without me. :) But I'm a mom failure like that!
    Unfortunately not once in 3.5 years has she ever suggested or offered to take them by herself for even an hour, so I'm sure that wouldn't be her cup of tea.
  • amy052006 said:

Nope -- I would get over myself for the sake of my kids getting to experience that with a grandparent.

I get what you're saying, and I know we will probably go at some point, but I'm not feeling obligated to make sure they have the experience with each other when she has been mostly uninvolved, by choice. If it was the only way my kids would experience Disney then I would be selfish not to do it for them, but we also have the option of taking them ourselves.
  • CnAmom said:

With my MIL? That would be a major dilemma. If I actually liked my MIL I would probably go.

Aww CnA we all know deep down you love your MIL and she loves you! ;)

• With my MIL? No. With my mom? Hellz yes

• It depends.  If she expected us all to share a hotel room and spend all day every day together, then I'd pass.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic image
  • I would go, but my IL's are great. If I didn't get along with them I might go as long as we'd be in separate hotel rooms, so at least we'd get a break from them in the evenings.
  • AndrewsgalAndrewsgal member
    edited April 2014
    amy052006 said:
    AimeeL85 said:
    Nope -- I would get over myself for the sake of my kids getting to experience that with a grandparent.
    I get what you're saying, and I know we will probably go at some point, but I'm not feeling obligated to make sure they have the experience with each other when she has been mostly uninvolved, by choice. If it was the only way my kids would experience Disney then I would be selfish not to do it for them, but we also have the option of taking them ourselves.
    I get that totally.  I'm thinking more of the "I have no desire to go to Disney" crowd.  As always on this topic -- it's not about "you".   Especially for free, you suck it up for your kids even if you are above it.

I hate this crap.the whole I hate Disney so we will never go is such BS to me. I hate baseball practice, preschool drop off, grocery shopping I could go I and on. As parent a we do a lot we do t like for our kids it's called being a parent. I don't think kids have to go to Disney but to say you would never ever take your kids because you don't like it is so odd.
  • No way I'd pass up a free trip like that. Granted, I do get along well enough w/ MIL (we could leave SFIL home, heheh) and it helps out the adult-to-baby ratio.....everyone wins!
  • I'd SO GO.  But, my in-laws live in Europe and we don't see them often.  So I would want DD to have that special time with them. A free Disney trip? It would be hard for me to pass up.  I guess it would depend on my relationship w/ them.  But meh. I would likely suck it up, regardless.  FREE TRIP. 
    E+C
    (+ hers and his, ages 13 & 8)
    TTC

• amy052006 said:
    AimeeL85 said:
    I get that totally.  I'm thinking more of the "I have no desire to go to Disney" crowd.  As always on this topic -- it's not about "you".   Especially for free, you suck it up for your kids even if you are above it.
    Oh yeah we definitely plan to take them no matter what, we were thinking 2016. We'll probably go with MIL first and then still take them ourselves later on. She's not too bad, not as bad as a lot of other MILs from the sound of it.  I'm not a Disney fanatic but I think it's an ideal vacation for kids. I remember my mom always being sad that she couldn't afford to take us there.
  • I would go! Disney is action packed! You wouldn't be having to spends tons of actual time interacting anyways.
  • I would never go.  My IL's are totally different than us.  They can't be on time for a thing, and are just so different it would drive me nuts to be on their schedule, etc.  MIL and FIL's dream vacay is to sit on the beach and do nothing, which is great if you're 60 and by yourself.  And they go places that don't have anything around them to do anything either.  And they have no idea why we wouldn't want to bring the kids (DS1 isn't a beach fan).  If we were in Disney I'm sure they would be happy spending 99% of the time sitting at the pool and minimal time in Disney and they would be PO'd that we didn't want to do the same thing.  They have unrealistic expectations of the kids and are very vocal about what we're doing "wrong".

However, we travel LOTS of places with my parents.  But they're more our style, they are punctual and want to do similar things.

To my boys:  I will love you for you Not for what you have done or what you will become I will love you for you I will give you the love The love that you never knew
  • Yes, and my husband would, too. Not because of the in-laws, though ~ neither of us has an interest in visiting any of the Disney resorts/parks/whatever.
    Mary Jane {12} Kaden {10} Eliza {4} Due Sept. '14

CafeMom Tickers

Considering . . . Agatha, Beatrix, Clara, Daphne, Isadora, Josephine, Matilda, Philippa, Tabitha, Winifred . . .
  • Gastro said:
    My point is not that I wouldn't suck it up, it's the idea that every kid will enjoy Disney.

I can say honestly that I've never met a kid who didn't love going to Disney. Not all for the same reasons, but they all seem to love it. From the hipster magazine editors kids to the super overachiever Tiger Mom kids and all us normal people I between...
  • Team suck it up and go assuming my kids had a good relationship with their grandparent. otherwise id take them myself.
  • AimeeL85AimeeL85 member
    edited April 2014
    KC_13 said:
    Team suck it up and go assuming my kids had a good relationship with their grandparent. otherwise id take them myself.
    They don't really have a relationship with her....but, I guess this could be an opportunity to change that, and then maybe I wouldn't have to listen to her whine anymore about how my 16 month old "doesn't like her" when she's shy because she doesn't really know her.

I told DH I'm game if I'm not very pregnant and don't have a newborn, who knows if that will happen when we hope it will or not. Then we'll go ourselves a year or two later.
  • I don't think it's fair to not take your kids to Disney because you didn't like it 20 years ago as a kid. I'll be taking DS and letting him decide whether he loves it or not.
  • Those of you waiting in lines in 100 degree weather with blisters are doing it wrong. I hated summer camp and ballet when I was a kid, but shockingly I am letting DD do both. Because you know parenting is about her not me. And lol if you actually have convinced yourself a ki would like Norway better than Disney.
  • Oh FFS dramatic much? No one is saying kids need to go to Disney at all. It is just ridiculous to discount something that your child will love because you don't.
  • edited April 2014
    Gastro said:
    Now I have to take my kid to Disney. @kateMW how do I join your board?
    LOL Just go ask!
  • I have no MIL, and I really like my FIL.  So pretending here.  In a world that I hated my in laws, I would still go.  I think Disney would be the perfect place to be with in-laws you don't like, because you are constantly busy, so less time to get annoyed with each other.  The only exception would be if the in laws were horrible people.  Just annoying isn't enough to stop a free family vacation that my children will remember for the rest of their lives. 

2 Beautiful Boys 11.7.03 & 4.23.13
  • DevonPowDevonPow member
    edited April 2014
    We took the kids last week, one of the busiest weeks of the year there. It was high 80s and sunny. We didn't wait in a single line longer than 15 minutes, and many were walk right on (thanks to fast passes and the app Disney has where you can see all current wait times). No one was sunburned. No blisters. Just two really happy kids and two tired parents who were so happy to see their kids having so much fun. I feel like some people have a skewed vision of what Disney is like based on other theme parks/fairs/whatever. Disney is an entity unto itself. It's a machine of customer service and family friendliness. And the new Magic Band system? Woah...amazing. Oh, and the only way I would turn down a free vacation would be if it was literally the only vacation I could take that year.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Oh, and Norway was one of my all time favorite countries to visit....,but I guarantee my kids will enjoy Disney more now at ages 7 and 2.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • larkin220 said:
    I won't make you feel terrible, I don't think it matters. My kids don't even know what WDW is. They watch the shows and movies but they would only know what Disney was if I told them about it. How do kids find out about it? We have no plans to go, whatevs. Maybe we will someday. Hopefully our next vacation will be a family trip out west to go snowboarding and a girls weekend in NYC over Christmas.
    School.  My kids went from not knowing it was an actual place to wanting to go because all their friends were and talking about it.  Then it turned into the old "we're the ONLY ones that haven't gone yet!" 
  • Gastro said:
    I think you are confusing "spending time with family" with Norway, but ok.

I guess so. DH just a doesn't get enough time off for us to have so many choices. My poor kid.
    I see both sides of this argument. We don't get enough time off with DH, so it's hard to go everywhere we'd like, etc. All of our Disney trips have been because there were mtgs in the area and we've eeked out a couple of extra days before and/or after. I'm not 100% we would have been so hot to go if there hadn't been that reason.
  • I'd go in a heartbeat, but I love that place and would never pass up a chance to go, especially for free.  However, my relationship with mil is just fine.  
  • Gastro said:
    AimeeL85 said:
    I don't even understand the problem here, Norway is located IN EPCOT. ;)
    Problem solved.
    The end.
    Oh, yes, the Maelstrom ride would surely beat out a real live fjord!... J/k.

I do love Epcot though, don't get me wrong.
    ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"