Stay at Home Moms

Carrots: raw or cooked?

How do you prefer carrots?

I love cooked carrots...steamed, roasted, cooked any way really. To me they are so sweet and almost like dessert. I made some for DS2 for dinner and he wasn't interested so I put a tiny bit of butter and brown sugar on them and literally ate them for my dessert (I wouldn't put it on Pinterest as a dessert though, lol).
DH much prefers raw. Raw is okay, but mainly as a vehicle for ranch or hummus or something to fill me up when I'm dieting.
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Carrots: raw or cooked?

• Both, but only organic carrots raw. Regular have no flavor. A southern grandma once taught me how to make cooked carrots with butter, brown sugar and cinnamon- amazing!
    Married 07.07.07. Mom to 3: Ruby 11/08 and Oliver & Austin 12/11
  • I hate hate hate raw carrots, but I love them cooked. DD is the same. 
  • Loading the player...
  • I like them both ways. However I've never put brown sugar on them. That sounds delish. My favorite way to eat raw carrots is dipping them in salsa.
  • edited April 2014
    bhuffman said:

I like them both ways. However I've never put brown sugar on them. That sounds delish. My favorite way to eat raw carrots is dipping them in salsa.

That is a fantastic idea! I know what I'm having for a snack tomorrow! Yummy! I love salsa.

Edit: Again, for me the carrot is the vehicle for something delicious, but salsa is delicious and low calorie. Great diet snack for me!

• Raw! No one really likes cooked carrots in our house.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I like cooked, I really dislike raw although I wish I liked them.   DS loooooves cooked carrots, but he will also eat them raw with encouragement.
    DS (7 years old) from FET in 2010
    DD (5 years old) from IUI in 2012
    TTC 3rd and final!: IUI #1 in progress!
  • I just totally love carrots - any way. We eat them mostly raw dipped in hummus or ranch, but I think my all time favorite (but which I rarely make) is glazed. Num num num... 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers

• I'm learning so many more yummy ways to eat carrots!

• edited April 2014
    I love carrots any way!
  • Baby carrots I like cooked or raw. But regular carrots that need to be peeled and cut, I will only eat raw.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Cooked, raw, candied, plain, with hummus-- all the ways!!
  • I thought for many years that I didn't like cooked carrots. They were always so bitter. And then I started adding a hint of sugar to the water when cooking carrots. And now I love, love, love cooked carrots.

I prefer them to still have some crunch. 

Raw is okay, but as pp said, then they are a vehicle for something else that's delicious (hummus or dip or whatever). 
  • Raw all the way! I'll eat them cooked or steamed but I much more prefer them raw.

BFP with #2- Sept 6, 2013  EDD May 20, 2014   MC Sept 26, 2013 @ 6 wks 2 days

• Raw! Either plain or with hummus. Yum! My girls looove plain raw carrots too!

I don't think I've ever cooked them aside from steaming some up to give to babies who don't chew well enough to have whole raw baby carrots. I'm sure they're good cooked too, just never occurred to me. They're starchy enough that I consider them half vegetable half starch (like peas) so they're never the only veggie on the table.
    imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Cooked. Raw carrots are too much work for me. I'm done after I've had about 3.

• I like them raw. I still add carrots to things I cook, like stew, pot roast etc. but just don't eat them. I do like the flavor it gives when cooked with other things.
  • I eat a lot of raw carrots. But I've also been cooking them with butter and capers and oregano to serve on top of egg noodle pasta.
    Elkanah Brave, born 02/06/2012 7:26am
  • Raw; the kids dislike most cooked veggies.

• both, but if they're cooked i prefer them roasted w/ olive oil, salt & pepper. DS will eat them either way too but *has* to have a big serving of raw carrots every day w/ lunch, with a side of hummus.
  • DC2London said:

nonoemily said:

I eat a lot of raw carrots. But I've also been cooking them with butter and capers and oregano to serve on top of egg noodle pasta.

@nonoemily cooked with capers??!  That's so interesting.  I'm going to have to try this!

Everything is better with capers.
    Elkanah Brave, born 02/06/2012 7:26am
  • JCMJCM member
    If I'm going to eat them alone then raw.  I like them raw ranch or not.  If I'm going to eat them in something like a pot roast then I loved them cooked too.  I just don't think I'd make them as a stand alone side dish to a main dinner.   My mom loathes cooked carrots so maybe that's why I don't prefer them as a side dish.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • lala5507lala5507 member
    edited April 2014

My oldest dd is going through a phase where she will only eat raw veggies. It doesn't matter what I try to do with cooked veggies; she won't touch them. I guess I should be happy she is at least eating them raw.

~Mama to two daughters and baby #3 coming soon~
  • I like them raw with hummus.  I love them baked in the oven with olive oil, cinnamon, and a tiny bit of ginger.  I also make a great carrot soup  Even the kids eat it.

Smiley: April '05 Rocky: May '06 Tex: July '09
  • lala5507 said:

My oldest dd is going through a phase where she will only eat raw veggies. It don't matter what I try to do with cooked veggies; she won't touch them. I guess I should be happy she is at least eating them raw.

Raw veggies often retain more nutrients, so I consider it slightly better! And easier lol! We eat a ton of raw veggies at the penguin house!
    imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Cooked. They are so sweet!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"