Success after IF

ttc #2/bc - seeking advice/thoughts

Hi ladies! 

I hope this is an appropriate place to post this. If not, please let me know and I will remove it!

My H and I just had our first baby a few weeks ago. As I have my 6 week pp check up coming up I'm sure I will be talking to my doctor about birth control at the appointment so my question(s) are about resuming BC after a successful pregnancy following IF knowing you will be facing IF again when you want to TTC #2.

I was on the NuvaRing for 2 years, then stopped it to TTC #1 and discovered I had PCOS and it took 2 years to conceive #1. I only ovulated about 3 or 4 times in the 2 years but 3 of the 4 times were my first 3 cycles off BC because it was keeping my body/hormones regular(ish), then the 4th time was a stroke of luck (gift from God) and we got pregnant. I had been on Metformin for about 10 months when we conceived.
I definitely noticed changes in my cycles/periods between pre-BC and during/post-BC so part of me doesn't want to go back to BC because I felt it messed with my hormones, and made things even more irregular, but another part of me thinks that maybe I should go back to it so that when we decide we are ready to TTC #2 we can go off BC and hopefully it will be keeping my body regular like the last time and I will ovulate the first few cycles again and give us a better chance at conceiving quickly. 

Anyone here have thoughts or experience in a situation like this?
I will be talking to my RE about it as well but thought I would try to get some personal experience input too.

TIA!

Re: ttc #2/bc - seeking advice/thoughts

• kmc84kmc84 member
    edited April 2014
    Congratulations!

Are you breast feeding?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    TTC# 1 since 5/10
    Me:34 Type 1 Diabetes, Ankylosing Spondylitis, Hypothyroid DH:35 Perfect
    DX: Unexplained IF
    Many IUI's with various meds all BFFN
    IVF #1 11/11 canceled due to OHSS
    IVF #2 Feb/March 2012 ET of 2 on day 3 4/7 BFP! 5/1 u/s blighted ovum
    IVF #3 July 2012 ET of 3 on day 3 7/24 BFP!
    Healthy baby girl born at 36w4d on 3/9/13

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    TTC #2
    IVF #4 May/June 2014 ER 6/4 18R 8M 8F ET 6/9 1 blast, 2 frosties
    Beta 6/18 BFFN

FET of 2 blasts 7/24...BFP!
    Healthy baby girl born at 36w3d on 3/17/15

TTC#3
    IVF #5 June 2018- PGS planned, no surviving embryos
    IVF #6 August 2018- ET of 2 on day 3 - Chemical pregnancy
    IVF #7 August 2019-....?
  • I am currently on BCP to regulate my cycle and prevent cyst formation. I take a generic version of S.easonique and only have a period once every 3 months. It is convenient, and I have always tolerated the hormones in BCP pretty well. I rarely ovulate on my own. My postpartum cycles after the birth of my oldest DS started off fairly regular, and quickly went back to being sporadic at best - every 60, 70ish days or so. BCP regulated my cycle again and also kept me regular enough that I was able to begin our first IVF cycle without needing Provera when TTC #2. Congrats on your new baby and good luck with your decision.

DX: DOR and MFI 

IVF w/ICSI brought us our 1st precious miracle

V born via induction 4.29.11

TTC #2: IVF (MDLF) August/September 2012

ER 9/7: 6R, 5M, 4F ET 9/12: 5dt of 2 blasts 

+HPT 9/17! Beta #1 (9/25) = 1,000 Beta #2 (9/27) = 1,860 U/S #1 (10/11)...TWINS!

1/8/13 - It's a..boy and a girl!!   

S&B born via induction 5.8.13

imageimage

• Loading the player...
  • kmc84 said:
    Congratulations! Are you breast feeding?
    This was my first thought too. The reason she asks is that breastfeeding is a form of BC, if certain conditions are met (see kellymom.com on the subject). 

I never went back to hormonal BC after my first pregnancy, because while BF I didn't get my period. By the time DS weaned at 11 months, were were ready to TTC, so there was not a time that I needed BC. 

I also felt like it would be counterproductive to "getting my normal cycle back" (whatever that means with PCOS). Basically, I wanted to know what my body would do when I wasn't on BC, and to give it the best chance of natural conception for #2. If we'd ever been TTA during that time, we would have used condoms and FAM.
    DH and I are Americans living an adventure in Kenya since 2011
    DX: PCOS (annovulatory)
    Feb 2012: IUI #1 w/ only 1M sperm and a single follie = BFP! 
    Nov 2012: Little buddy born in Kenya
    Nov 2013: Trying for a second, still w PCOS
    Dec 2013: IUI cycle canceled for non-response
    Jan 2014: Break cycle BFP!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • If you aren't ready for a 2nd, I'd take something.  Or use some method of contraception.  I have PCOS and had never ovulated on my own.  After LO, I got pg on my own in only 3 months after I quit taking the mini pill.  We couldn't be happier, but if it had happened any earlier, I would have freaked.
    Congrats on your baby!
    TTC with PCOS since November 2009
    IUI#1 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 3-7) = BFP, m/c
    IUI#2 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 5-9) = BFN
    IUI#3 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 3-7) = BFP!
    beta #1 11/23 = 270, P4 = 75
    beta #2 11/28 = 2055
    Our daughter E was born 7/29/2012!
    Surprise, our 2nd daughter P was born 5/22/14!
    imageImage and video hosting by TinyPicimage
    imageimageimage
  • Trust me, even if you think things might take a long time, use birth control of some form until you are actually ready to TTC #2. I thought getting the Mirena was just a silly precaution since we never once got pregnant on our own in 2 years of trying even with fertility treatments, but now I am surprise pregnant the first cycle after it was removed! We were only given maybe a 3% chance of ever conceiving naturally because of my age and DOR, but here we are. I never in a million years thought we would be "those people". And BFing isn't entirely effective either, so take that with a grain of salt. Just my two cents.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers 
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers 
    After 22 cycles and 4 failed IUIs, Serafina joined our family through IVF/ICSI, born 8.28.12
    Our surprise baby, Juliette, is due 12.8.14!

• I don't have PCOS so probably don't even bother reading any further, but, I have friends with it who were told by their doctors that their best chance at conceiving naturally would be their first few post-partum cycles and/or their first few cycles coming off of birth control.  That would seem to make sense as pregnancy and the pill will both sort of help "re-set" homones in many women.

So, if you're thinking about a baby later rather than sooner, I'd probably go back on the pill.

Kelly, Mom to Christopher Shannon 9.27.06, Catherine Quinn 2.24.09, Trey Barton lost on 12.28.09, Therese Barton lost on 6.10.10, Joseph Sullivan 7.23.11, and our latest, Victoria Maren 11.15.12

Secondary infertility success with IVF, then two losses, one at 14 weeks and one at 10 weeks, then success with IUI and then just pure, crazy luck.  Expecting our fifth in May as the result of a FET.

This Cluttered Life

• I could've written your story practically verbatim. Nuva ring user here who got off and found out she had pcos. Was anovulatory bc of this and went through a few treatment cycles and 18 months of trying before successfully conceiving our twins.

I was convinced we wouldn't get pregnant on our own just because I didn't think I'd ever ovulate. Breastfed for nine months, got a period, then another one 35 days later and poof. We are pregnant with number three with fifteen month old twins! Don't get me wrong I am thrilled and this baby will be yet another blessing. But ditto what pp's said. If you're not ready NOW then go on BC or use condoms at the very best. I only say it because IF robs you of so much. Don't let it rob you of enjoying these precious early months with your baby. I feel ok now that we are having another one but in all honesty was scared out of my mind thinking "can I do this so soon?" Best of luck to you in the future. Whatever happens I look forward to seeing you intro on here again as a second time mom.
    TTC #1 Since January 2011 Dx: PCOS and Anovulatory April 2012 BFP! Beta 1 5/22 - 1,000+ Beta 2 5/24 - 3,009 1st u/s 6/5 - TWINS!!! A/S Reveals we are Team PURPLE!!! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image image image  12/27 - surprise BFP - due August 2014
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"