Breastfeeding

~*~*MSPI Moms Weekly Check-In*~*~ 4/28

~*~*MSPI Moms Weekly Check-In*~*~

Welcome! This is a check-in for moms who are/were on a dairy free and/or soy free diet due to their LO's intolerance. The check-ins will be posted every Monday morning on the Breastfeeding board and XP'd to the Food Allergy board. If you'd like to join the group, just post an intro here and dive in! To check out the archive of our previous check-ins, please see the MSPI Moms Blog (www.mspimoms.blogspot.com).

1. How are you doing? How is your LO doing?

2. It seems like a lot of us have had to cut out more than dairy and soy. What else have you had to or tried to cut out? How did that go?

3. Any other burning questions you'd like answered or experiences to share?

Re: ~*~*MSPI Moms Weekly Check-In*~*~ 4/28

• I hope everyone had a great weekend!

1. LO just had his 6mos well child and the pedi (and thereby DH) finally agree with me that LO is MSPI. I finally feel like I have some support. DS is still having flecks of blood in his diaper at least once a day but in the absence of any other symptoms (He sleeps okay, isn't fussy, no vomiting) the pedi said to keep on keepin' on.

2. I've also cut out eggs and cut back on gluten. It's hard because I'm always hungry -- but I've started having daily protein shakes and that's made a difference.

3. We got the green light to start solids at any time, but since DS is still having blood, I kind of want to wait awhile yet. At the same time, he is showing many of the readiness signs and has an interest in food. What did you all do as far as timing to start solids?
    BFP #1 1.2.12 EDD 9.15.12 :: mmc 2.22.12. / d&c 2.23.12 :: 2nd d&c 3.16.12

"there is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world"

BFP #2 2.27.13 EDD 11.8.13 Grow, baby, grow!

My Ovulation Chart

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Anniversary

image imageImage and video hosting by TinyPic image

~ all ALers welcome ~

• 1. How are you doing? How is your LO doing?

We are both recovering from a cold, DD is better but mine seems to have progressed to a sinus infection. Otherwise we are doing well!

2. It seems like a lot of us have had to cut out more than dairy and soy. What else have you had to or tried to cut out? How did that go?

I have also cut out tree nuts and peanuts. I'm not sure if it made a difference. I reintroduced tree nuts and DD was fine until the 3rd or 4th consecutive day of tree nuts. Then her poops were mucousy again, but I'm still not sure if it was the nuts or something else. Still waiting for an extended period of normalcy before we retry them again. I also avoid all seafood; I very rarely eat seafood (like once a year) so it doesn't take any effort to avoid it. Since I'm still not 100% sure we have all DD's intolerances identified, I figure it's good to avoid seafood since they are in the top 8. And I've been contemplating eggs and wheat for some time now......

We are no where near this point, but I do have a question about re-introducing foods. Is it better/safer for me to eat the item in question or to give it directly to DD? In my mind, I think it's better to give it to her now that she's eating solids so that I don't contaminate my supply. But my concern is will she have a more severe reaction if she is eating it directly?

BabyFruit Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • @JennOH85 That is great to have the validation and support. I'm curious about what's in the protein shakes? (Many protein powders are made from dairy or soy.) Re: solids, we did kind of wait until I was wheat-free and DS was not showing symptoms. We gave him a bit of rice cereal (hard to find a MSPI-safe brand!) before that, but only a few times and he wasn't really ready to eat it, mostly spit it out. LOs poops will change with solids, but you could start with some relatively benign foods that won't change the color too much, like mashed banana.

@amichelle723 There seems to be some debate on this and I don't know if there's one right answer. We opted to give DS the foods directly to not taint my milk. If you suspect an allergy, rather than just intolerance, it might be preferable for you to eat it instead of LO.

1. How are you doing? How is your LO doing?

We're doing good! We went to the local Asparagus Festival and ate everything we wanted to, and everyone's fine. It was great. :)

I ended up cutting out eggs, peanuts, wheat, cabbage, and coconut. I also avoided shellfish because it was easy. I toyed with avoiding citrus for awhile because it's relatively easy, but it didn't seem to make a difference to DS. I'm not totally sure the peanuts ever caused him any issues but I cut them at the same time as eggs because I was eating a lot of both of those and wanted to see some quicker results! Wheat was the last thing the pedi GE suggested cutting and he got better after that. He had obvious reactions when I ate cabbage or coconut milk.

Not today!

• @rocknrollfriend‌ I've tried two different ones that are dairy and soy free; totally plant-based protein. One is called Plant Fusion (from Whole foods) the other is Sun Warrior, the Warrior Blend (online). I blend them with rice milk and they're actually kind of tasty. I prefer the flavor of Sun Warrior -- it's pea, hemp and cranberry protein. Sun Warrior also makes one that is rice protein but I haven't tried it yet.

The Asparagus Festival sounds like fun (love me some asparagus!) :)
    BFP #1 1.2.12 EDD 9.15.12 :: mmc 2.22.12. / d&c 2.23.12 :: 2nd d&c 3.16.12

"there is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world"

BFP #2 2.27.13 EDD 11.8.13 Grow, baby, grow!

My Ovulation Chart

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Anniversary

image imageImage and video hosting by TinyPic image

~ all ALers welcome ~

• @amichelle723  with DD1 I introduced directly to her so as not to taint my supply.  We started with something baked in for a few days (like bread or crackers), then something cooked like ravioli or pizza, then yogurt/cold cheese and finally ice cream! 
  • We are good!  DD2 has had terrible smelly gas the past few days though.   She had that before my milk was clean....so now I am not sure what is up.  She hasn't pooped in three days so perhaps that is it!  I am waiting for her to poop so I can test it just to make sure. 

We are dairy, soy, egg and wheat free.  So far so good! 

I have decided after reading some more that I am going to wait until she is 6 months for sure before starting solids.  I will talk to my pedi at her appt on Friday about it, but at this point I think my mind is made up! 
  • Friday was my last time nursing ds. He got mama's milk for 59 weeks.....he isn't happy with not being able to use me as a pacifier but he will adjust. I ate milk again starting on Friday....it's been bittersweet these past few days knowing that my baby is growing up on me. It's taking dh some getting used to now that I am eating milk but we still need to prepare ds's meals milk free.

YBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

I'm a fan of The Cloth Diaper Tech Support group on Facebook
  • 1. We had a bit of a set back back this week- I accidentally had a bit of milk (in a syrup) I grabbed the wrong one! By the next day she had the diaper rash, and pooped 10 times each day. We have found that it's the soy that gives her blood in her poop. With soy she also breaks out in small bumps on her face. And the milk is similar to my sons reaction.
    2. We've had to cut out all beans, (and hummus) peas, cabbage, Brussel sprouts, cauliflower, beef. I also cut out peanuts (I don't like peanuts- so just had to cut peanut butter)
    3. I feel like I don't trust labels anymore! Anyone else? I have found a pancake (organic) mix that you add milk to (I use almond) and it has whole wheat flour- and a brownie mix by the same company- and I switch out the butter for earth balance soy/dairy free- but I still don't trust them?
    Hope everyone has a great week!
  • I am new here, DS is 8 weeks old and we have been MSPI free for 3 weeks now due to silent reflux and abnormal BM's. He was EBF until these issues cropped up and now I EP.

1. How are you doing? How is your LO doing? DS is doing better after three weeks, and I am happier now that I found a local natural food store that caters to special diets, it's more expensive but opens up a lot more diet choices. He is still having some abnormal BM's but it now we think they are due to a hindmilk/foremilk imbalance from my oversupply.

2. It seems like a lot of us have had to cut out more than dairy and soy. What else have you had to or tried to cut out? How did that go? So far I have only cut out milk and soy.

3. Any other burning questions you'd like answered or experiences to share? DS's reflux and BM's improve when I bottle feed, which has made me an EPer. I would love to get back to BF, but want to do what is best for DS. I have tried pumping off the top before feeding, block feeding, and reclining while nursing with little relief. Does anyone have any experience with this or advice?
  • Friday was my last time nursing ds. He got mama's milk for 59 weeks.....he isn't happy with not being able to use me as a pacifier but he will adjust. I ate milk again starting on Friday....it's been bittersweet these past few days knowing that my baby is growing up on me. It's taking dh some getting used to now that I am eating milk but we still need to prepare ds's meals milk free.
    @PipSqueak0313 Congratulations on breastfeeding for 59 weeks - that is amazing!
  • @Jackapatamus Oh yes, I became quite paranoid about hidden dairy/soy/wheat ingredients in processed foods. I think it comes with the MSPI territory. :) I found that once I tried something and DS was ok, I could at least trust that item in the future. But he also had weird reactions to items that I couldn't figure out, like store-bought almond milk that was supposed to be dairy and soy free. I actually think it might have been the carrageenan in it, because he got rashy from hemp milk too which also had carrageenan. I started making my own almond milk for that reason!

@ohsowell Welcome! I don't have any additional advice for the oversupply but you might put the question to the entire board.

@Charlie1178 Some babies certainly do outgrow MSPI by 9 mo, but some babies don't until 12 mo or older. If it will cause you more worry to reintro than not, there's no reason you can't wait - your LO can get plenty of nutrition from other foods (not to mention nursing still!).

• @Charlie1178 
    We introduced at 10 months with DD1 with success.  I gave directly to DD so in case she still had a reaction my milk would still be clean.  I was so happy because it was the end of the summer, and we both got to have ice cream! 
  • 1. How are you doing? How is your LO doing? Doing good!

2. It seems like a lot of us have had to cut out more than dairy and soy. What else have you had to or tried to cut out? How did that go? In addition to dairy and soy, I've also cut eggs and beef. She has obvious reactions to both. I did bring nuts back recently and so far so good. I experimented a little bit with removing wheat but didn't see any real difference so that's back in also.

3. Any other burning questions you'd like answered or experiences to share? No questions this week. I am still struggling to find a place I can eat out at though. I was so excited to try Chipotle but we've gone twice and both times DD2 was MISERABLE the next day. I just ate a chicken bowl with rice and beans (and split a salad with DH). So, maybe it was something in the salsa or the dressing.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• @ballerina10‌ Welcome!
    @RingOfFire11‌ that sucks about Chipotle! I wonder if it could have been a dairy contamination? My DS has always been fine when I eat there.
  • @ballerina10‌ Welcome!
    @RingOfFire11‌ that sucks about Chipotle! I wonder if it could have been a dairy contamination? My DS has always been fine when I eat there.

Cross contamination is what I thought the first time too. That's the whole reason we tried it again. The same thing happened though so seems like an ingredient now. The only thing I can come up with is maybe the jalapeños in the salsa - everything else is something I eat regularly. I would happily cut the salsa to have a place to go but I'm nervous to try again and it be a problem for her. Again.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• @ballerina10‌ Welcome! @RingOfFire11‌ that sucks about Chipotle! I wonder if it could have been a dairy contamination? My DS has always been fine when I eat there.
    Cross contamination is what I thought the first time too. That's the whole reason we tried it again. The same thing happened though so seems like an ingredient now. The only thing I can come up with is maybe the jalapeños in the salsa - everything else is something I eat regularly. I would happily cut the salsa to have a place to go but I'm nervous to try again and it be a problem for her. Again.
    That's true. Weird! GL if you try again!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"