Cloth Diapering

Laundry Detergent

What detergent do you use on your non-CD laundry? I've been using All F&C b/c DS is sensitive to Tide (presumably b/c of the scents), but it is not doing the greatest job of getting the man-stink out of DH's clothes. I'm tempted to try Purex b/c a friend of mine raves about it and it's cheap.

Re: Laundry Detergent

• I'm not a huge fan of scents, but I hand issues with Free and Clear.

I switched to Tide powder without any issue. I'm curious what everyone else says.
  • I've never tried Purex. We use and like Tide F&G.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

image imageimageimage

• Loading the player...
  • Either whatever is on sale or homemade. The best/ cheapest I usually use is Arm&Hammer F&C concentrated. We haven't had any problems getting anything clean with that, and it I can usually get it on sale for $2.50, I think that is for 60 loads, so it can even be cheaper than home made most of the time.
    Married 6/18/11
    BFP #1 10/26/12 DS born 6/30/13
    BFP #2 10/30/13 MC 11/25/13
    BFP #3 1/18/14 DS #2 born 10/7/14
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    image   Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• I have bought Purex for the last 10+ years since I moved out of my parent's house.  I found some detergents seemed to give me issues, and this was the first that didn't so I just stuck with it.  I stock up on a couple of the giant jugs when it goes on sale.  Last time I bought it a month or so ago I got two 110 load jugs for ~$5ea because they were $6 minus a "buy two get $2off" coupon I had.  
    I don't have any complaints.  I like the 'after the rain' scent best, but the coldwater one that doesn't say the scent is good too.  I only use to the first line in the cup in my TL HE.  
    image image

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I use the same homemade mix that I use on CD, just a little bit more. It takes the stink out of my gym clothes. Oil-based stains need pre-treating. It's equal parts baking soda, washing soda, and Sun Oxi, and it's crazy cheap and easy on all our skin. Disclaimer: we have really hard water!
  • km_mdkm_md member
    We use tide F&G. I have sensitive skin and I don't react to this one so it's what we use. DH works in auto body and his clothes come out clean and don't smell either. 

• I used Country Save on both CD and clothes when we lived in the US.

Outside the US I am using Miocare for CD, since it is clean-rinsing and has no brighteners or enzymes. It has a bit of lavender fragrance which is naturally derived (rather than synthetic). I think it would be expensive to wash everything with Miocare, so for clothes I use Fairy non-bio. It has perfume and brighteners, which I would prefer to avoid, but it's about as gentle a mainstream detergent as I can find. I've recently found a couple of retailers locally who sell Ecos so I might switch when I run out of Fairy.
  • I frequently just buy what is on sale, many times that is Purex. But I do love the scent of Gain, so sometimes it's worth the extra few bucks.

We recently bought some "Spring Time" brand or something like that because it was on sale at Costco and I regret it. It definitely doesn't get things as clean as I would like. 
    When Fluff Mail Arrives:
  • We use Tide pods. I live with 3 boneheaded boys. So I try to make it as easy as possible so they don't just dump 1 cup of liquid into the machine like they used to.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I use tide, same with my CD. I hate buying two different kinds of detergent.
    I love gain though....I really like when my clothes smell good. Haven't boughtthat in a year or so though.

• CeCe8579CeCe8579 member
    edited April 2014
    I used ECOS until my DD was five because everything else made her break out. I've made my own detergent but I'm using Purex No sort right now because it was new and on sale, haha!
    Carly
    (Former UN: iloveshanej)

Birdie born 05/01/2007
    Rainbow Surprise Baby due 05/26/2017                                          

Potato Launcher

• I use arm & hammer liquid currently because I can get it on sale for about $3.50 a jug. With our front loader a jug lasts us a little over a month because you need so little. Eventually I would like to find a powder alternative to use.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Tickerimage

• We use Charlie's for everything. It got the stink out if my running clothes. At least as far as I can remember that long ago . . .
    Mama to a little girl born July 2011 and a little boy born April 2014! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• CopperT0p said:
    I have bought Purex for the last 10+ years since I moved out of my parent's house.  I found some detergents seemed to give me issues, and this was the first that didn't so I just stuck with it.  I stock up on a couple of the giant jugs when it goes on sale.  Last time I bought it a month or so ago I got two 110 load jugs for ~$5ea because they were $6 minus a "buy two get $2off" coupon I had.  
    I don't have any complaints.  I like the 'after the rain' scent best, but the coldwater one that doesn't say the scent is good too.  I only use to the first line in the cup in my TL HE.  
    Reading comprehension fail: I read this as you bought 110 jugs of detergent.

That would be a lot of detergent!  I stock up, but usually only enough for 6 months, not 60 years!
    image image

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I have been using soap nuts with a random load in Arm and Hammer powder.....cd using soap nuts with a random load in Tide......just ran out of Tide and haven't felt the need to restock. I was using Tide on all of our laundry but I just don't like the feel of the clothes after using Tide. My clothes were staticier (is that a word?) with Tide than they were with A&H so I switched the regular laundry back to it.......and then I tried the soap nuts.

YBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

I'm a fan of The Cloth Diaper Tech Support group on Facebook
  • We keep getting Kroger coupons for Free kroger brand detergent so until those get used up we'll keep using that.

• I use Tide on our clothes, because I'm sensitive to any other scented detergent, but DH needs the scent, ha. Then I use Target F&C on DD's stuff because she is sensitive to Tide, and Charlie's on diapers. Now I feel like I'm over complicating it all...

BabyFruit Ticker

• powdered Tide for everything. 

and I haven't bought detergent in almost two years because my FIL is a maniac.  as soon as he figured out (we told him multiple times) that powdered Tide was the only thing okay to buy for CDs, he buys a box of tide every.single.time we see him.  Two weeks ago, he came home with four boxes.  "They were on sale.  And this is a gift for M".  

Yeah, as soon as someone other than me does laundry, it's a gift for them.  That Tide is for me. 

I also love that it's in a cardboard box, instead of a huge plastic jug
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

• Mandmeesh said:

powdered Tide for everything. 

and I haven't bought detergent in almost two years because my FIL is a maniac.  as soon as he figured out (we told him multiple times) that powdered Tide was the only thing okay to buy for CDs, he buys a box of tide every.single.time we see him.  Two weeks ago, he came home with four boxes.  "They were on sale.  And this is a gift for M".  

Yeah, as soon as someone other than me does laundry, it's a gift for them.  That Tide is for me. 

I also love that it's in a cardboard box, instead of a huge plastic jug
    That is totally random, but pretty awesome.

Married 6/18/11
    BFP #1 10/26/12 DS born 6/30/13
    BFP #2 10/30/13 MC 11/25/13
    BFP #3 1/18/14 DS #2 born 10/7/14
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

image   Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• I also use Nellies on everything and it works great. If J has left his stinky gym clothes in his backpack, I will also add a little baking soda to the wash.
    imageimageimage
    imageimage
    Suddenly my life doesn't seem such a waste,
    It all revolves around you.
  • Speaking of dirty man-laundry... where do you keep your stinky laundry?  MH's gym clothes REEK!  Our laundry basket is in our closet, and when I walk in there, I can smell his gym clothes, yuck!  But our laundry room is too small to keep dirty clothes in.  Am I missing an obvious solution?  (And don't tell me to do laundry more often... I won't.)
    TTC with PCOS since November 2009
    IUI#1 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 3-7) = BFP, m/c
    IUI#2 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 5-9) = BFN
    IUI#3 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 3-7) = BFP!
    beta #1 11/23 = 270, P4 = 75
    beta #2 11/28 = 2055
    Our daughter E was born 7/29/2012!
    Surprise, our 2nd daughter P was born 5/22/14!
    imageImage and video hosting by TinyPicimage
    imageimageimage
  • TJ1979 said:
    Speaking of dirty man-laundry... where do you keep your stinky laundry?  MH's gym clothes REEK!  Our laundry basket is in our closet, and when I walk in there, I can smell his gym clothes, yuck!  But our laundry room is too small to keep dirty clothes in.  Am I missing an obvious solution?  (And don't tell me to do laundry more often... I won't.)
    When my husband comes home from hot yoga (with dripping wet sweat clothes) they go straight into the washing machine. If there isn't other clothes to wash to make a full load they might sit in the washing machine (TL, with the lid kept open) for a day or two until there is enough to run a load. BUT our laundry room is pretty large so there is nothing to keep in the stink and make the room/other stuff smell.
    When Fluff Mail Arrives:
  • TJ1979 said:
    Speaking of dirty man-laundry... where do you keep your stinky laundry?  MH's gym clothes REEK!  Our laundry basket is in our closet, and when I walk in there, I can smell his gym clothes, yuck!  But our laundry room is too small to keep dirty clothes in.  Am I missing an obvious solution?  (And don't tell me to do laundry more often... I won't.)

Throw them in with diapers maybe......hang them on shower curtain to dry....rinse them out when he takes them off...... Just throwing out random ideas.

YBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

I'm a fan of The Cloth Diaper Tech Support group on Facebook
  • TJ1979 said:
    When my husband comes home from hot yoga (with dripping wet sweat clothes) they go straight into the washing machine. If there isn't other clothes to wash to make a full load they might sit in the washing machine (TL, with the lid kept open) for a day or two until there is enough to run a load. BUT our laundry room is pretty large so there is nothing to keep in the stink and make the room/other stuff smell.
    I wanted to keep them in the washing machine, but we have a FL, and can't keep the door open because it blocks the door to the laundry room if we do.  If that makes sense.  I'm pretty sure they would mildew and mold and probably ruin my washing machine if I left them in there with the door closed, haha.

We've tried hanging them to dry then putting them in the basket, but they still reek.  And we only wash diapers every 3rd day, so we would still have 2 days worth of stinky gym clothes.

Hopefully it's just my super pregnancy nose making it seem worse than it really is?  Otherwise he's going to have to keep that shit in the garage, and it'll be his own problem to remember to bring them in to get washed. 
    TTC with PCOS since November 2009
    IUI#1 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 3-7) = BFP, m/c
    IUI#2 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 5-9) = BFN
    IUI#3 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 3-7) = BFP!
    beta #1 11/23 = 270, P4 = 75
    beta #2 11/28 = 2055
    Our daughter E was born 7/29/2012!
    Surprise, our 2nd daughter P was born 5/22/14!
    imageImage and video hosting by TinyPicimage
    imageimageimage
  • TJ1979 said:
    TJ1979 said:
    I wanted to keep them in the washing machine, but we have a FL, and can't keep the door open because it blocks the door to the laundry room if we do.  If that makes sense.  I'm pretty sure they would mildew and mold and probably ruin my washing machine if I left them in there with the door closed, haha.

We've tried hanging them to dry then putting them in the basket, but they still reek.  And we only wash diapers every 3rd day, so we would still have 2 days worth of stinky gym clothes.

Hopefully it's just my super pregnancy nose making it seem worse than it really is?  Otherwise he's going to have to keep that shit in the garage, and it'll be his own problem to remember to bring them in to get washed. 
    Yeah, I think being able to keep the door open because we have a top loader helps us deal with the stink situation. A front loader would be a challenge for that.
    When Fluff Mail Arrives:
  • We use Honest Co. on diapers and clothes. I used to use the Honest oxy-powder pods on the diapers too but lately I'm too lazy/tired/forgetful.
    **Warning: Losses and living child mentioned**
    BFP#1 1/31/12, EDD 10/6/12 Harrison Gray born sleeping @ 18w6d. You changed our lives little guy.
    BFP#2 EDD 10/29/13, C/P 2/25/13, Bye little Ish, we barely got to know you.
    BFP#3 EDD 12/21/13, Baby Boots born 11/23/13 My rainbow baby!

imageView Full Size Imageimageimage
    January PAL Siggy Challenge: Good Advice

• Spray a bit of bac out on his clothes? It keeps any residual poop smell at bay after spraying a diaper off...
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"