Northern California Babies

Were any of you laid off while pregnant? SDI/UEI

Long story short, my parents (who own the company I work for) may need to lay me off in about a week. I'm trying to figure out the logistics of it all.

It seems easiest to just stay on unemployment through all of the disability portion of having kid #2. Is that possible? Does it make logical sense? Any advice would be appreciated.
- Rene

Re: Were any of you laid off while pregnant? SDI/UEI

• I've been (I got laid off the week before we found out I was PG w/T)... Typically you are eligible for disability if you are eligible for unemployment. In fact, you should still get the PFL leave too if you were eligible for it through your employer. You definitely don't want to collect the unemployment through your pregnancy "leave" because you're actually not "available to work" and you can lose your unemployment benefits. When you fill out your disability paperwork, you just put your last day worked as the last day you will submit as available to work to unemployment (take the full 4 weeks before your due date). I forget what you need to do to get it started back up, but after your disability period ends you should have no problem resuming the unemployment. Oh, and I actually got more on disability than unemployment since unemployment has the cap, and disability will be based on your earnings per quarter...Good luck!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Photobucket
  • R, I don't think you can claim UI benefits if you are not able to work.  I think they specifically ask you if you are disabled during the claims process.

Could you start unemployment, then go on disability once the baby arrives and use that through the full CA paid family bonding?  Once you are no longer disabled, you could "return to work" which would mean returning to unemployment?

• Loading the player...
  • Thanks for the info. Since I was only working part time, I think I'll get less on disability/PFL than on UEI, which is one of the reasons I was asking. I'll have to do all of the calculations to know for sure, though.
    - Rene
  • imagefutrkingsley:

R, I don't think you can claim UI benefits if you are not able to work.  I think they specifically ask you if you are disabled during the claims process.

Could you start unemployment, then go on disability once the baby arrives and use that through the full CA paid family bonding?  Once you are no longer disabled, you could "return to work" which would mean returning to unemployment?

That definitely makes sense.  

- Rene
  • I was...totally cannot remember what I did...I feel like I did disability then went into unemplyment...
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    br
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickersbr>
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • i was .. filed for UEI and got it (i was 5 1/2 months pg at the time) but i also was able to land another job while pg and they worked w/ me regarding mat leave.

Love - a wildly misunderstood although highly desirable malfunction of the heart which weakens the brain, causes the eyes to sparkle, cheeks to glow, blood pressure to rise and the lips to pucker - Author Unknown

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• This is exactly what I've been trying to figure out! Now the question is do I just file a SDI claim or do I have to cancel my UEI first? According to the website I cannot have both and I don't want to delay benefits by filing SDI and causing a conflict. I've been trying to contact EDD to no avail. No surprise there eh?
  • This is exactly what I've been trying to figure out! Now the question is do I just file a SDI claim or do I have to cancel my UEI first? According to the website I cannot have both and I don't want to delay benefits by filing SDI and causing a conflict. I've been trying to contact EDD to no avail. No surprise there eh?
    you don't have to cancel your UI, just stop sending the claim forms back. Also, be aware that usually SDI is untaxed BUT because you are earning it instead of UI it is taxable (at the end of the year). you are right that you can't have both at the same time. The break from UI for SDI will extend the maximum time you can be on UI (now without extensions and the still recovering job market that can be important)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"