February 2014 Moms

Pumping in public?

So DH is having outpatient surgery today, and we'll be at the hospital long enough that I'll need to pump once or twice. Last time I was here with him, the receptionist set me up in an empty office. This time the clerk isn't as helpful. My options are bathroom or waiting room. I know my rights about NIP. Are they the same for pumping? Can I sit in the corner and pump (I brought my nursing cover)? Obviously not ideal or my first preference...but I've gotta do what I've gotta do.

I may also go in search of a female receptionist who will be more sympathetic to my needs.
F14 January Siggy Challenge: Gym/Fitness Fails
   Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image

Re: Pumping in public?

• Thanks, @greenbunny79‌. I prefer to not have a big publicity thing.
  • @Bookshelves‌ No maternity ward. I do know there's an employee pump room. I am going to try to ask about using that. Especially since someone just settled in with a laptop in my corner.
  • Loading the player...
  • Hope things go well with your DH today! 
    Feb 2014
  • Glad they helped you!!!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Tickerimage
  • slwprincessslwprincess member
    edited April 2014
    Go to the office for the hospital chaplain.  I've used their office to pump before.  

ETA: oops just saw your solution.  Glad it worked out.

• Go to the office for the hospital chaplain.  I've used their office to pump before.  

ETA: oops just saw your solution.  Glad it worked out.
    That's a great idea that I'm going to file away if I ever need it!
  • Glad it worked out. I was going to say "rock that pump!" You are
    Making food for your baby!
    I hope to create a real siggy but first I need some sleep!

Mom to Lily and Colin!
  • BMBrinson said:
    I pumped waiting at an airport Gate for a flight. I just pretended it was normal. I got a few looks but whatever. There was no way I was going to try and balance everything in a tiny Bathroom stall. Glad they found you some place. I agree with @inluv4life2‌ rock the pump!
    You are my hero.  I brought my pump on recent flights and swore I would do it then, but chickened out.  How did you do this?  Where did you sit?  Did you put the cover on and then set everything up underneath?  I need details!!!
    I have done it once in an airport before.  I just found an empty gate with a wall outlet.  Sat down on the floor and faced away from the terminal- towards the windows out... maybe some of the crew got a lil show ;-)  No really, I just got everything out and ready and put my nursing cover over me and then hooked it up and did my thing.  Nobody could have possibly seen anything but I will say I was still extremely nervous and barely got a letdown.  Just enough to keep me comfortable until I got back home.  

I have also used a handpump in a bathroom stall at a fancy theater to see the Lion King.  The stall wasn't latched well and someone walked in on me.  Her face was priceless.  Of course, that also killed my letdown and I was pretty darn uncomfortable for the rest of the show.  Just more reasons why I embraced combo feeding.  I hate the pump enough as it is without adding additional stress.  
    But I will say that the chaplain thing was just a lucky break for me... my mom was having surgery and I was desperate.  My endo is in that building and I figured they would let me use one of their exam rooms but it was lunch time and they were closed!  My dad is a pastor and suggested the chaplain's secretary might know of a place.  She was like, "oh sure- he's not even here today and he's got a comfy couch!"  Perfect!

• I recently went on vacation to Mexico without LO. I used a hand pump for all public pumping but it was difficult. I pumped in a bathroom stall, on the airplane a few times, in a van with several strangers, and on a boat. I was super nervous the first few times and got a lot of looks but my rational was I am providing food for my baby even if she wasn't with me.

I just used a nursing cover and my husband as a shield. :)
  • @elf828‌ I've pumped in the car while H was driving! It was dark out, so I wasn't worried about people seeing. It felt a little weird though!

And thanks! His surgery went well...now to recover.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"