July 2014 Moms
Options

Maternity Leave

Have most of your already discussed with your employers what your plan is for maternity leave? I know on this board we talk about how much time we intend to take, when we hope to start it, but has it gotten to the point of actually having that conversation? I'm coming up on 29 weeks, and was considering initiating that convo with my boss this week. Thoughts?
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Maternity Leave

• Options
    I had my conversation last week

User Banned You have been banned from posting on the forums until 01-11-2165 8:18 AM. The reason for this ban is Inappropriate Links or Signature. Please return to participate in the forums after the ban has elapsed.
  • Options
    I've had multiple conversations about it with my boss simply because he wasn't quite understanding exactly what would needs to be done and who would do it while I will be out.  When I was pregnant with DS, they actually changed their policy (for the slightly better) because it was so mediocre, so the conversation this time was less about how long I could/would take this time around.  I just told them expect me back around the beginning of October depending on when LO makes their appearance and we've been focusing on working on the plan for my duties while I'm out and when training needs to start.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    i just had my convo with them last week as well. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerImage and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

image image
  • Options
    My boss started bothering me at the beginning of Feb. I finally told him I have no idea when my baby will be born and I don't have a timer on my belly (I'm trying to work as long as I can and there are other issues at my office/with my boss which is why I was so annoyed by him). I finally gave him my last work day which is 1 week before I'm due and I'm taking exactly 12 weeks off (Due July 3rd. Last day June 26 and back Sept. 22). I also told him that the dates may change as I get closer to my due date and depending on what my doctor says.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• Options
    We've been having the discussion for months. I finally told my boss I'm planning on my last day of work being July 4th. That would put me back at work end of September, beginning of October.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Photobucket
  • Options

i'm having the discussion on eligibility and formal FMLA paperwork this thursday with HR.  once i understand exactly what the deal is, and how much i'm eligible to take with/without pay with my accrued PTO/vacation, i'll then talk to my boss about what we are both comfortable with. 

honestly, for me though, the most hairy part of the conversation will be that i want to avoid travel until the baby is at least 6 months old...that will cause some heartburn, i'm sure.  the maternity leave part will be easy!

• Options
    I'm sending my paperwork in today. I'm a teacher, so I'm off after June 20th. Baby's due July 27th, and I'll take 12 weeks from whenever she arrives - that's 4 weeks without pay, but I'm on my husband's insurance, so at least I won't have to pay in for that. If she's right on time, that puts me back at work on October 19th.

• Options
    I am supposed to meet with my boss this week.

11.2011 - DS1

02.2013 - loss at 6 wks

06.2014 - DS2

10.2015 - loss at 12 wks

03.2017 - DD

• Options
    I have told my bosses 6 to 8 weeks depending in how delivery goes. They know that I have no way of saying exactly when but that anytime after 34 weeks, which is the beginning of June, could be go time.

The bigger problem for me is the question of who will cover for me. One boss wants the new girl to cover but she is incapable of working the time and hours to feasibly do that. He's living in denial. I'm out when I'm out and they can figure it out, I have given them more then enough notice and told them of the possibilities. I can't do much else. I also haven't brought up the topic that technically they need to provide me a place to pump upon my return. Kinda dreading thy conversation, cause holy awkward batman.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers image
    BFP: 11.09.13   EDD: 07.21.14 
    Baby Sylvia born 07.20.14
    5 lbs 14.8 oz | 20 1/4 inches

• Options
    I haven't had the official conversation, no. I guess I should soon. I'm thinking of setting a last-day date either way, likely my due date if I go late. Last time I said I would work up to labor no matter what (ending up delivering 1.5 weeks early), but this time I'm thinking if I'm overdue I'll spend the extra QT with DS1.

DH and I still haven't figured out exactly how much time we can afford for me to take off yet. I get 6 weeks paid, and can take up to 10 additional weeks unpaid under FMLA. Would love to take it all but not sure it's realistically affordable for us :(
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I told my boss right away at 13 weeks that I was pregnant and intended to take the full 12 weeks off. I won't be discussing the very specific details (which days will be PTO) with HR until June, though.
    Pass the sheet cake.

BabyGaga
  • Options
    I work in a lab so they just have the other on the team divide up work 5 ways instead of 6 ways. My boss asked if I was going to stop working early or work until labor. I said work until labor if possible and then 12 weeks off. He is cool with it but, gets nervous because the company policy is that if I go into labor, my boss has to drive me to the hospital since he is a member of the emergency medical response team at work. Pregnancy and labor freak him out so it's been kind of a hilarious discussion. Poor guy, hopefully I don't go into labor at work.

Lilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers

• Options
    I filed my paperwork a few weeks ago. I work in a school and have summers off, so my leave officially starts the first day of next school year and I'm taking 8 weeks off. I haven't heard any plans to hire somebody to fill in for me. That's not really my problem, but I will feel bad for my colleagues if they have to cover my caseload until I come back.

July 14 May Siggy Challenge: Cute Animals
    imagelambs photo: lambs lftsidemovies5.jpg
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    I've informally discussed it some with my supervisor, but it is through HR that all the paperwork needs to be filed to formally notify my employer. I met with a benefits rep from HR last week and found if baby comes on due date, I am entitled to take off until about November 25. It's a relief to know exactly what needs to be done, what I will be paid for, and what I am entitled to as benefits.
  • Options
    My HR dept wont discuss leave of absense until its less than 2 months away. Annoying because Id rather get it over with!!! The woman that does my scheduling did tell me she had a question about my maternity leave and for me to call her Friday, but she never called back. I told her to call me today at home so we will see. She said it was about vacation and Im confused. I get short term disability through the company with my benefits so I get paid 75 % of my salary while Im out. Vacation shouldnt have anything to do with it.
  • Options

Spoke with my boss about 20 weeks to tell him I want to take 12 weeks off but am working up till labor or July 3rd (due July 2).  Already started my FMLA paperwork.  My boss is really cool with it though.  He stopped in my office last week and asked if I would be willing to work from home part time so I don't have to use all my leave and can keep benefits and stuff. 

FYI for those that want to take FMLA but don't want to tell employers till later DOL states "In general, the employee must give the employer at least 30 days advanced notice of the need to take FMLA leave when he or she knows about the need for leave in advance"  and "If 30 days advance notice is not possible because the situation has changed or the employee does not know exactly when leave will be required, the employee must provide notice of the need for leave as soon as possible and practical.  When the employee has no reasonable excuse for not providing at least 30 days advanced notice, the employer may delay FMLA leave until 30 days after the date notice is provided."

13 yr old boy with ASD, ADHD and PICA, 11 yr old boy, 3 yr old Girl, & baby Girl.

imageimage

• Options
    I have gave my supervisor a date informally. We have a monthly meeting which is basically the only time I see her so I mentioned it to her so she can find someone to replace me.

I will give a formal notice the first of June which will give them 30 days.
  • Options
    My boss has known about my maternity leave plans since I told them at about 12 weeks pregnant.

• Options
    Me and my boss have already talked about how long.  I am only planning on taking 6 weeks from LO's birth, unless there are complications. I don't plan on going on leave until the doc tells me to, or I don't feel up to it. But I plan on trying to work till I go into labor.  

We have yet to discuss who is going to handle my workload while I am gone.  I work in a small law office with 3 attorneys and I am the only one that directly works for my attorney.  Thankfully a lot of the stuff she will be able to handle on her own.  Also, there are several other support staff in our office that can do things here and there when needed. 
  • Options
    I attempted to discuss with my HR dept last month. She basically told me she has "nothing to do with it or the paperwork" so I should talk to my doctor. Then she proceeded to tell me all she files is a piece of paper stating the last date I worked and "it's very simple." I asked her how much I qualify for, what is the deal with PTO (I am hourly so I don't accrue), what percentage of my income I get paid, etc. and she told me to call the state because she again "has nothing to do with it". I am so mad! She was so useless! I followed up with my doctor and he said typically all he does is provide my employer a note for the day he wants me to stop working but his office has never felt with HR or State DI/FMLA paperwork.
  • Options
    We've been talking about my leave for a while now. I'll be working until my doctor says I can't or the baby falls out of me, then taking 7-8 weeks.

The reason my planning has been going for a while is because my teammate is due 6 weeks before me, so coverage is a bit complicated. We will be getting a temp for my position and he is actually starting part time next week, and I will be training him and he will be assisting me 3 days a week until I go out. I'm actually a little nervous about this, keeping him busy and getting him ready... it's new territory for me.
  • Options
    I attempted to discuss with my HR dept last month. She basically told me she has "nothing to do with it or the paperwork" so I should talk to my doctor. Then she proceeded to tell me all she files is a piece of paper stating the last date I worked and "it's very simple." I asked her how much I qualify for, what is the deal with PTO (I am hourly so I don't accrue), what percentage of my income I get paid, etc. and she told me to call the state because she again "has nothing to do with it". I am so mad! She was so useless! I followed up with my doctor and he said typically all he does is provide my employer a note for the day he wants me to stop working but his office has never felt with HR or State DI/FMLA paperwork.
    That's ridiculous-- your doctor has nothing to do with what your work will approve/how they'll pay you. You should google the laws in your state and go from there.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I got my paperwork today!
    BabyFruit Ticker

BFP 11/18/13. EDD 7/25/14. It's a BOY! 

Surprise BFP 7/30/13. EDD 4/7/14. Natural MC 8/24/13

• Options
    I sorted all of mine out awhile back. I am a teacher, taking the first 12 weeks of next school year as FMLA time (submitted paperwork back in February) and then taking the rest of next year as a leave of absence. The school board just approved that two weeks ago, so besides talking to payroll about insurance stuff, I think I'm all set. I assume my principal will just hire a teacher on a one-year contract in my absence.
  • Options
    My leave is actually already done and approved, as far as FMLA goes. I just have to give them my end date. I'll talk to my doc closer to that appointment and have him give me a note to put me out at my chosen date. As far as STD goes, I have to call and find out the logistics. Perhaps get my paperwork so I can get that started
  • Options
    I can't set up anything with HR until 30 days before my due date, but I just had a review with my boss last week and he just wants me to think of how many weeks I think I'll be out. He also said he is open to discussing me working from home one day a week after the baby is born!
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    @AMcLaws how did u file already? I filled out the online profile but they won't let me put in a future date. It says I can't file until the day after I stop working.
  • Options
    BPerBPer member
    I have my HR meeting on Thursday.

I plan to take 10 weeks, starting with the week of my due date, unless I go into labor earlier.

I know my OB won't let me go more than a day or two beyond my due date because of the complications with my placenta during my last pregnancy.

I'm due on a Thursday, and I if I haven't had the baby yet, the early part of that week will be spent preparing, pampering, etc.

• Options
    I had to work out my "leave" options almost right when I told my employer because I teach at a college that is on a quarter system and goes year round, so they had to know for scheduling.  I'm not actually taking any leave at all, we simply can't afford it and because I'm an adjunct, FMLA guarantees for an open position don't apply, so it would functionally be quitting my job. Our conversation was more about taking the class that is closest to my due date and having it be partially live and partially online.  They wanted me teaching my four hour lectures up until the 12th of July (due the 20th) and I had to convince them that they may want to prepare for me to stop teaching live on the 5th (and yes, we have class on f'ing July 4th weekend).  I'll be teaching online through the rest of August and going back to the live classes in September on top of my regular online courseload.  Can't freaking wait. :-(
    My sweet little munchkin! 
    8 lbs, 13 oz.  21" long

• Options

@AMcLaws how did u file already? I filled out the online profile but they won't let me put in a future date. It says I can't file until the day after I stop working.

The company that does our FMLA paperwork allows all the paperwork to be in place as soon as we like. All they need to activate it is a signed note from my doc saying "leave is starting effective this date".

Same with STD...I can get the paperwork in order now, and all that's required is a few signatures to activate it.
  • Options
    I am meeting with my principal tomorrow but I will be taking 8 weeks at the beginning of the school year. I've already talked to HR and been approved by the superintendent I just need to let my principal know I won't be back until late October!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I've already filled out all my FMLA paperwork with my EDD.  I really need to see if sometime I can have someone at HR come out and go over numbers with me--mainly how much I might have to take as docked pay after all my vacation, comp, and sick time have been used.

Mainly what I have to do is finish writing my document about all my job duties and how I do them, so my manager and I can sit down and figure out who will take over.  Summer's our busiest time so probably several different people will end up doing bits and pieces of my job.

• Options
    I handed in my request yesterday and its back saying approved. My Edd is 31/07 and im taking 10days mat leave and 4 days holidays before that due to me being the major earner in our house hold i will prob be back in november :-(
  • Options
    Does anyone have a job that doesn't have a set maternity policy in place or offer any sort of benefits? I work for a smaller law firm and we haven't even talked about how long I'll be taking off. I'd like to take at least 8 weeks, but not sure if they'll freak out since that's more than the typical 6 weeks. It's frustrating that we don't have a HR dept to ask or any written policies for the office at all. Just wondering how anyone in that situation has started the conversation?? They aren't paying me for the time I'll be gone so I don't feel like asking for 8 weeks is too much when they don't even have a policy on it.
      Funny Friendship Ecard: The doctor said I needed to start drinking more wine. Also, I'm calling myself 'the doctor' now.   Funny Confession Ecard: I have a constant internal battle about whether to be classy or give zero fucks.

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    I work for myself so get to have conversations with myself :)

• Options
    My boss and I have already approached the topic, but at the same time we are avoiding it. I'm her right hand woman and there really isn't anyone to take my place while I'm on leave. Plus I have told her that I will be doing part time after I come back, but to be honest I don't want to go back. I don't have the nerve to tell her because we are already both working more than the company allows. Wish me luck.
  • Options
    jenny1523 said:
    Does anyone have a job that doesn't have a set maternity policy in place or offer any sort of benefits? I work for a smaller law firm and we haven't even talked about how long I'll be taking off. I'd like to take at least 8 weeks, but not sure if they'll freak out since that's more than the typical 6 weeks. It's frustrating that we don't have a HR dept to ask or any written policies for the office at all. Just wondering how anyone in that situation has started the conversation?? They aren't paying me for the time I'll be gone so I don't feel like asking for 8 weeks is too much when they don't even have a policy on it.

I work for a small company as well and I just told my boss I wanted to take 10 weeks off. He was cool with it. Also your boss should be aware that if you have a c section the standard amount of time off is 8 weeks. That's barring any other post partum complications, too.

This is my second while working for this business so I kind of just went in and said let's talk maternity leave! I definitely want to come back after the baby is born and I'd like to take two extra weeks (ten total) then work part time for two weeks before coming back full force. I then asked if he thought that was reasonable. He did. That was that. I tried to start it as conversation not a demand. What sucks though is that people like you and I are not covered my FMLA. Womp Womp. Good luck!

• Options
    Unfortunately there's no maternity leave from gardening!!! I will be back at it the next day.
  • Options

I have "sorta" had the leave chat with my boss.  I am in HR and luckily my whole team is ladies, so there are no akward breastfeeding/childbirth talks!  It's just a matter of seeing where our finances are when baby time gets closer and how much sick/PTO I will have available at that time to really determine how much time I will be able to take off.

I did send her an email today about having a place to pump when I return.  There are talks about rearranging our offices in the coming weeks, so I want to get my request out there now before any plans are made that have to be undone. 

• Options
    My chat with my new boss was very short.  The daycare that I work at has less than 50 employees so I am not covered by FMLA or any thing really.  His response was if you are scheduled, you better be here.  3 days of absences and I will be fired.  So I have a feeling they are going to find something wrong with me when the school year ends May 23 and get rid of me then.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"