Cloth Diapering

OT- Kitchen floor cleaning

What do you guys use to keep your kitchen floors clean?  Mine is constantly bombarded by sticky food from DS.  Does anyone have something they love that cleans up both wet and dry stuff?

Re: OT- Kitchen floor cleaning

• My dog?

This. It something drops on the floor by the time my dogs are done licking it my floor is cleaner than before I dropped whatever it was.

I've got no practical advice for you though....

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • After the dog does his thing, we run the steam mop.
  • I throw some dawn and vinegar in hot water and mop the floor with it.  I used to use Castille soap but I started hoarding that for my homemade counter wipes instead. 

• LOL! We dog sat for our friends last summer and I seriously considered getting a dog just for the food clean up aspect ;)
  • It's the one reason I miss him when we are at home and I've sent him to stay with someone else for the day.

Is there such a thing as a low-maintenance dog?
  • LOL! We dog sat for our friends last summer and I seriously considered getting a dog just for the food clean up aspect ;)
    I feel sorry for people who don't own dogs solely for this reason.  Who has time to bend down every time you drop food, or LO throws food from the high chair?

We use a steam mop.
    TTC with PCOS since November 2009
    IUI#1 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 3-7) = BFP, m/c
    IUI#2 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 5-9) = BFN
    IUI#3 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 3-7) = BFP!
    beta #1 11/23 = 270, P4 = 75
    beta #2 11/28 = 2055
    Our daughter E was born 7/29/2012!
    Surprise, our 2nd daughter P was born 5/22/14!
    imageImage and video hosting by TinyPicimage
    imageimageimage
  • you people actually clean your floors?! ;)

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• My dog for the big stuff. Then I vacuum the hardwood and either steam mop or actually mop. If it's flea season I use Pine Sol (it kills fleas and keeps them from coming inside) if not then Murpheys oil.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • what kind of floors do you have?  personally i think it makes a big difference
    I'm looking for something that will work on both tile and hardwood.
  • It's the one reason I miss him when we are at home and I've sent him to stay with someone else for the day.

Is there such a thing as a low-maintenance dog?
    Yes.  I have two.  I call them cats ;)
    I have cats, they aren't super low maintenance. However, a true low maintenence dog is a little dog. Sadly. Since they are just cats that bark.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I use the vacuum b/c DS tracks through any piles if I sweep with a broom. I also use my steam mop about once a week. I love it, but I need another cover for it b/c by the time I mop the kitchen, it's so dirty that I hate to run it over the hardwoods. (I know I could do the hardwoods first, but I like doing the kitchen first in case DS decides that mop time is over before I get to the wood.) The other drawback is that our grout lines are fairly deep and the steam mop just doesn't get into them well. I mean, it has attachments for grout, but who has time for that?

• I have used a steam mop on both tile and hardwood. Both can take it.
  • I really want a steam mop. I would love to get one for my birthday.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Tickerimage

• Mapleme said:
    I revise my earlier recommendation. Vinegar isn't a good idea on hardwood. But Murphy's is great.

Cats are awesome.

If I got a dog it would totally be a German Shepherd. They are super loyal dogs who love to work and are easy to train, but they are shockingly low maintenance. They're considered good apartment dogs because they need very little exercise or space. I had a roommate with one and she was awesome. We could take her on a hike up a mountain or stay inside for weeks at a time (with some backyard time to poop). I have a friend who trains and works German Shepherds and some of her friends only let them out of a kennel to work (drug sniffing, etc). I think that's cruel, but it does go to show how little space they need.

German shepherd? Low maintenance? I had one growing up, and my parents got another when I was in college. That dog is seriously not low maintenance at all. When she would come here, she would seriously go for a 5 mile bike ride, 1-2hrs at a dog park, another walk and playtime likely, and she would still be bringing us a ball at 9pm at night ready to play even more.
  • TJ1979 said:
    I would never call a small dog low maintenance. They are harder to potty train and often have no manners. People think that since they are small, you don't have to teach them not to jump and bark. But you still need to!
    Totally agree, but some can be very low maintenance. Not high drive and needing tons of exercise (well, for some breeds). Honestly, the easiest dogs I've seen are retired greyhounds. So freaking lazy.
  • Go to a shelter and find a short-haired, lazy dog that just wants to cuddle. Don't over feed him and give him rules and boundaries. Boom. Low-maintenance.

But let's be real, no pet should every be considered "low maintenance". They are a member of the family and need care and attention. Just do your research on breed history before you go out and get that cute little boxer puppy that looks so sweet and later find out that he needs more exercise than you anticipated and now he jumps on everyone and chews your furniture when you're gone :-P

Also, we have a Shark steam mop that works nicely for our tile and hardwood floors. :-)
                          PitaPata Dog tickers

• edited April 2014
    Mapleme said:
    NVandGZ said:
    Mapleme said:
    I revise my earlier recommendation. Vinegar isn't a good idea on hardwood. But Murphy's is great.

Cats are awesome.

If I got a dog it would totally be a German Shepherd. They are super loyal dogs who love to work and are easy to train, but they are shockingly low maintenance. They're considered good apartment dogs because they need very little exercise or space. I had a roommate with one and she was awesome. We could take her on a hike up a mountain or stay inside for weeks at a time (with some backyard time to poop). I have a friend who trains and works German Shepherds and some of her friends only let them out of a kennel to work (drug sniffing, etc). I think that's cruel, but it does go to show how little space they need.

German shepherd? Low maintenance? I had one growing up, and my parents got another when I was in college. That dog is seriously not low maintenance at all. When she would come here, she would seriously go for a 5 mile bike ride, 1-2hrs at a dog park, another walk and playtime likely, and she would still be bringing us a ball at 9pm at night ready to play even more.
    I think German shepherds can keep going all day, but they don't *need* to. They're not like a greyhound that will destroy your house if you don't run it for 6 hours a day. But yes, SAK, the fur. That was insane. But I also had a super long haired cat at the time, so both me and the roommate were regular vacuumers.

Everything I've ever read about German shepherds says they are a high energy, high drive dog.they were originally bred for herding and working. Obviously, individual dogs are different, so there are some lower maintenance shepherds out there. But that's not something I would count on with that breed. Doesn't someone on here have a German Shepherd? Eta: is it @freezorburn?
  • Mapleme said:

Cats are awesome.

IME GSDs are high energy high drive but I agree they are brilliant and loyal. If you want a low maintenance dog go get an old mutt from the shelter. They're awesome!

To answer the original question, my dogs get the food, I have a stick vac that I use every morning, and mop once a week. If you don't have dogs, maybe a swiffer would be useful?
  • I'm going to get a long handled dust pan. I don't want to vacuum up wet sticky food with my Dyson, but I can't let it sit there to dry anymore since Logan crawls through it. And I'm starting to get too pregnant to bend down 6 times a day to pick up food.

Flameful confession- I don't know the last time I mopped. I vacuum the house at least twice a week. And spot vacuum when needed. I have hardwoods and they really don't get that dirty. :\"> I also wipe up spills as they happen.
    Chad and Fawn

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Anniversary

• mmm50mmm50 member
    I have a medium-maintenance German Shepherd (he is a Rott mix, so I think that is where it comes from), but the hair.  It's disgusting.  ALL DAY EVERY DAY.  

He cleans up baby messes and cooking messes.  But to clean up after him I have a Hoover Floormate.  Best thing I have purchased for our house.  We had a steam mop but our floors get too muddy during the spring/summer/fall for the steam mop to do anything with the 2 covers I have.  

I love the Floormate because it puts down clean water and sucks the dirty water up (like a carpet cleaner for hardwoods) so I can see the disgusting mud water when I empty it.  Our entire house is hardwoods and tile and it works well on both.  I got a small bottle of the cleaning solution that came with it, but I usually run it with just hot water or hot water/vinegar.  
  • He's not a German Shepherd.

Best guess is Rottie/border collie.
    DH likes to joke that he is dachshund/huskie. Who knows.
  • freezorburnfreezorburn member
    edited April 2014
    I would love to adopt a retired working dog. But first dibs usually go to employees or retirees of whatever agency they were working for, so I think those dogs are hard to come by.
  • TJ1979 said:
    OP, consider this post thoroughly MK-jacked.  Or it's gone to the dogs, either way.

You and Stoney aren't on a first name basis anymore?
    imageimageimage
    imageimage
    Suddenly my life doesn't seem such a waste,
    It all revolves around you.
  • I use the shark vac and steam. I love it so much!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • If she gets a dog, she'll need a stick vac.  For the hair.  Unless she gets a hairless...
    TTC with PCOS since November 2009
    IUI#1 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 3-7) = BFP, m/c
    IUI#2 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 5-9) = BFN
    IUI#3 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 3-7) = BFP!
    beta #1 11/23 = 270, P4 = 75
    beta #2 11/28 = 2055
    Our daughter E was born 7/29/2012!
    Surprise, our 2nd daughter P was born 5/22/14!
    imageImage and video hosting by TinyPicimage
    imageimageimage
  • FFMC: I like my dogs, but they are not family members. I am seriously on the fence about whether or not we will have any more dogs after these two. I'd rather have a nice, poo-free backyard.

• I gave up on the stick vac when we got our dog and upgraded to a Miele.

And, our dog doesn't poo in the back yard, unless he is having a real emergency. He thinks it's part of the house. 
  • Our lab is pretty chill now that she's 4... She was higher maintenance as a puppy though.

She'd happily go for a jog/ run but is also content just running around the yard occasionally. When we take her swimming she swims a ton but then sleeps hard for the next day or so.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"