Health & Exercise

Fitness Roundup (April 21-27)

ajhambajhamb member
edited April 2014 in Health & Exercise
Another week, another opportunity for us to get inspired to stay active for our growing bumps (and ourselves!)...

@Spurp13, @marathonmom823, @zoegirltx, @trishieterp, @criscbish, @lmdonnel, @RedheadRunning, @mdarmetko, whatcha up to this week? Also, what is everyone else doing?!

For me:
Mon- 5000m row
Tues- 4 mi run
Wed- spin class
Thurs- 45 min stair climber
Fri- rest / flying day
Sat- 6 mi run
Sun- stretching / yoga
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Fitness Roundup (April 21-27)

• Mon- Bootcamp + 6.2 mile run this morning. Part of me really wishes I were running the Boston Marathon today.

Tues- run 5-6
    Weds- Bootcamp + 5-7 miles
    Thurs- run 5-6 miles
    Fri- Bootcamp + 5-7 miles
    Sat- long run of 10-12 miles
    Sun- a nice long walk with DH and DS.

Last week was great- ended up with 42 miles of running and 2 Bootcamp workouts. Feeling great as I hit 30 weeks tomorrow!

Mommy to R (8.23.11) and K (6.21.14).

• ajhamb I had a GREAT 12 mile run with my husband on Saturday! Couldn't have asked for better weather and I really felt good almost all of the way... But honestly, who doesn't feel a little rough about mile 10 anyway?!? Ha! 

Monday- 3 miles
    Tuesday- 2 miles and walking 9 holes of golf for my brother's golf match
    Wednesday- 4 miles
    Thursday- nothing/rest :( I have to work late and running in the morning isn't an option 
    Friday- either rest day OR 6-8 miles, depends on schedule
    Saturday- rest day
    Sunday- either rest day OR 6-8 miles, depends on schedule 

Only 11 days until the mini, so taking this week and next a little easier to rest up! I want to have one last GREAT long run that day, as I promised my husband and family to ease up on double digit runs the rest of pregnancy. 
    Mr & Mrs 5/5/2012
    DH-28 Me-26
    Fur baby- Colt 
    Baby BOY due 9/24/2014

imageimageimage 

BabyFruit Ticker 

• Loading the player...
  • Ugh, I'm a mess. I haven't run since last week. The groin pain is just too much. I jumped down to the 5K this upcoming weekend, and canceled the half marathon for the weekend after.

I think my distance running days are over. It's just too much. I'm attempting to at least do 15 miles per week in 3-milers. I speed-walked 2 yesterday and today. Not too bad, but the pain is there.

I'm HOPING it's the baby laying on a nerve as others have suggested and it improves. Otherwise, I'll just be walking, biking, xt for the remainder of the pregnancy, and I can't properly state how sad that makes me feel. I felt AMAZING running that half marathon at 12 weeks. Then it was gone.
  • I'm amazed at your ladies running double digits in your late 2nd tri or early 3rd tri.  I promised my H when I got pregnant this time that I wouldn't work out for more than an hour at a time.  The first 2 pregnancies were losses and I ran a half during the first one and still longer distances during the second one.  Although I doubt it was the cause of anything, it made my husband feel  better if I took it easy with the running.  That being said, I cut my long runs down to 6.  However, at this point, I have a hard time going past 4-5 miles anyway without having to pee like a racehorse!  I'm excited for our pool to open up on Memorial Day so I can start doing swimming and swim aerobics workouts.  If it gets to the point where I have to stop running, I love that I'll have the option to run in the pool.  Here's my hopeful schedule this week:

M - Circuit Strength Training at the gym
    T- 3 miles outdoor + Prenatal Yoga
    W - Tracy Anderson DVD
    Th - 3 mile run outside + Prenatal Yoga
    F - rest
    Sa - Run 3-5 miles outdoors
    Su - Lindsay Brin DVD

I also attempt to take my dogs on a 1.5-2.5 mile walk most days.

Question, speaking of work out timing, have any of you ever heard of a cap during pregnancy?  One of my workout DVD's is Lindsay Brin's Prenatal Series.  I really like these DVD's because they give different workout levels and I'm able to do the advanced.  Anyway, she says in her DVD that during pregnancy you should really keep your workouts to under 50 minutes. This article says we should be working out only 3-4 times a week for 30-40 minutes. Have any of you ever heard that? 

image  image
    BFP 5/08/13 -- EDD 1/15/14 -- slow hb@7wks d&c 6/07/13
    BFP 8/12/13 -- EDD 4/20/14 -- no fetal pole @7wksnatural m/c 9/16/13, cytotec 10/17 & 10/22
    BFP 11/26/13 -- EDD 8/07/14 -- Born 7/24/14!
  • @SPurp13 I hope you get to feeling better!!! At least you're still working on keeping as active as you're able, that's all that matters.

I had a glorious 3 miler on Saturday morning and it killed me not to go further. I'm really hoping that once I hit 2nd tri my OB will take me off this no more than 3 mile restriction. For this week I hope to:

Mon- 2-3 M run
    Tues-  2 M walk
    Wed- Gym/Elliptical
    Thurs- 3 M run
    Fri- Rest
    Sat- 3 M run
    Sun- 2 or more mile walk or gym/elliptical

Have a wonderful week ladies!!!
    TTC #1: 3/2013
    02/2014: Clomid = BFN
    03/2014: Femara + Menopur + Ovidrel + IUI = BFP! - 3/17/14
    EDD: 11/29/14 - MMC @ 9 wks: 4/25/14 
    Misoprostol 4/28 & 4/29 - D&C after misoprostol failure 5/2/14
    07/2014: Spontaneous IUI, no meds = BFN
    08/2014: Spontaneous IUI, no meds = BFN
    08/2014 v2.0: Final spontaneous IUI, no meds = BFN
    09/2014: BCP cycle in prep for injectable cycle in Oct.
    10/2014: Gonal-F + Cetrotide + Ovidrel + IUI  = BFP!
    TWINS! 
    "Top Bunk" & "Bottom Bunk" due June/July 2015
  • Also, I thought you ladies would love this.

My doctor said NO RUNNING. It's SO bad for the baby, LOOK (and she proceeded to jump up and down in front of myself and my husband). Then she said "and NEVER workout in a house alone, your husband should be there."

What? Nope. My doctor is very good. One of the best in the area (not that we HAVE great doctors or medical care). And I trust her about the BABY. I do NOT trust her about fitness.

I've done A LOT of research. I just nodded and said "I'll slow down, but it may not even matter, because I've been in a lot of pain." So, it wasn't worth fighting about. My husband and I both agree that my approach is the best one--to do it if I can.
  • @SPurp13 seriously? I don't think I could've kept a straight face through that! LOL!

At my nurse intake appointment at the OB's today she told me not to do anything that would raise my heart rate above 140. I bit my tongue, hard. I will definitely be having that discussion again with the actual OB in two weeks. *rolls eyes*
    TTC #1: 3/2013
    02/2014: Clomid = BFN
    03/2014: Femara + Menopur + Ovidrel + IUI = BFP! - 3/17/14
    EDD: 11/29/14 - MMC @ 9 wks: 4/25/14 
    Misoprostol 4/28 & 4/29 - D&C after misoprostol failure 5/2/14
    07/2014: Spontaneous IUI, no meds = BFN
    08/2014: Spontaneous IUI, no meds = BFN
    08/2014 v2.0: Final spontaneous IUI, no meds = BFN
    09/2014: BCP cycle in prep for injectable cycle in Oct.
    10/2014: Gonal-F + Cetrotide + Ovidrel + IUI  = BFP!
    TWINS! 
    "Top Bunk" & "Bottom Bunk" due June/July 2015
  • @SPurp13, so ridiculous! I would have had a very hard time not rolling my eyes.

Actually, during my first Dr visit, I learned that my OB was also pregnant and had run up until her 24th wk. So she was very supportive of me continuing to do all the things I did before, just not as... intensely...

But @SPurp13, I'm SO sorry you are feeling so crappy. It is the worst to feel bad, and not be able to do the things that make you feel normal/better (though you have a much better attitude about it than most would!). Maybe you can use the rest of the pregnancy (trying to find a silver lining!) to discover other things you enjoy? Or maybe use the walking time to put your earbuds in and jam out or connect with old friends?
  • Awfully discouraged by the 4-miler I did yesterday (swapped days, but still trying to stick to goals for this wk). Even though I felt ok while running, for the ~24 hrs after, my groin area just feels sore and achy, so much that just walking and getting out of bed is uncomfortable.

How am I going to stay active when everything aches??
  • ajhamb said:

Awfully discouraged by the 4-miler I did yesterday (swapped days, but still trying to stick to goals for this wk). Even though I felt ok while running, for the ~24 hrs after, my groin area just feels sore and achy, so much that just walking and getting out of bed is uncomfortable.

How am I going to stay active when everything aches??
    Aw, so sorry!! Are you wearing a support belt while you run? I've heard that helps with the pelvic and groin pain. Also, how far along are you (sorry, I can't see tickers as I post only from my phone).

• Hello ladies!

I'm 23 weeks and running about 25 mpw. I now take a 30 second walk break every mile, which helps keep me going. I've had some bad round ligament pain which SUCKS because it means I need to stop and walk for a bit (and I run before work so I hate when that happens) but I guess I just have to roll with it.

I cannot STAND the constant pressure on my bladder but I'm learning to just live with it!

• @marathonmom823, I'm 26 and change wks along, so I guess I'm lucky I haven't been feeling these odd aches the whole time. Haven't worn a support belt yet, but have kind of feared that a belt would make the unbearable bladder pressure even worse (does it?).

Maybe it's the round ligament pain @TrishieTerp is speaking of? Is that more like a tightening or feeling like you've pulled a muscle?
  • edited April 2014
    @ajhamb‌ I've never worn a belt, but friends who have said that it actually takes pressure OFF their bladder, which means fewer bathroom stops. I had to stop 3xs to pee on my 11-mile run this morning. And for me, the RLP was felt just down the sides of my belly, almost like I had pulled my oblique muscles.

@TrishieTerp‌ you're doing well still running 25mpw. I had RLP with my first pregnancy from weeks 18-20, then it went away. I haven't had it at all this pregnancy so far (I will be 31 weeks on Tues). The walk breaks are a great idea- even shorter ones will help you still be able to go the distance. I also found towards the end of my first pregnancy that walking for about 5 min before I started running helped relieve some of the pelvic pressure. Hope you can get some relief!

• I'm late to this... but here it is:

Mon - ran
    Tues - ran
    Wed - ran
    Fri - Crossfit
    Sun (tomorrow) - I am doing my 1st race of this season.

~after 34 cycles we finally got our 2nd little bundle of joy~
    My IF blog

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Good morning running mamas!
    I had such a great 5 miler this morning that I signed up for 3 more races 
    :\">

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards