Infertility

FMLA for IVF?

Hello, I did my intro about a month ago a and it looks like we are moving forward with IVF/ICSI. We were originally planning on starting BCP my next cycle (which should start in a few days) but I think we have decided to sit out a cycle and start in June. I really just need a month off before starting the process, I've been doing treatments for 9 months in a row. Ugh!
So my question is, has anyone used FMLA for IVF? My boss has been great with allowing me to move my days around up to this point and I'm grateful for that. But with IVF there will be many more appointments and I'll need days off with short notice and we aren't allowed to take any vacation days without 2 months notice. I'm a nurse in a hospital so I also don't have the option to go in late to leave early. But I am lucky to only work 4 days a week. I just can't imagine the stress of trying to rearrange everything and take days off for ER or ET without FMLA. When I spoke to my hospital'a human resource department they just said "fill out the paper work and we'll see". I'm a planner so that makes me nuts, I need to know!! I work for a children's hospital so it will really anger me if it isn't approved. Everything we do is driven on a family centered approach that I can't even believe they would say we just have to see! I'm just nervous that since I don't have any medical issues and our problem is MFI that it will be denied. Anyone have any experience to share?

********Siggy/Ticker Warning***********

Me (35) no known issues DH (37) MFI. TTC 21 months (24 cycles)
Dx MFI with low to normal count, low motility, morphology 3%
HSG normal, ultrasound and labs on me all normal. 

1 cycle of Clomid 50mg and TI, unmonitored by OBGYN= BFN
1 cycle of Clomid 50mg and IUI, unmonitored by OBGYN= BFN
Started seeing an RE!!
2 more cycles of clomid 50mg (great response), with IUI and Pregnyl trigger (4.8-8 mil good ones after wash) = all BFN
1 cycle of clomid 50mg (3-7) followed by Follistim 75iu (7-11) + IUI = BFN
December 2013 DH saw urologist and is taking Anastrozole, CoQ10, and L-Carnitine
IUI #5 natural cycle (needed a med break) = BFN
IUI #6 Follistim 75iu (CD3-10) + Pregnyl (CD11) + IUI (final count after wash 300K) = BFN
IUI #7 Follistim 75iu (CD3-9) + Pregnyl (CD11) + IUI on 2/20 (post wash count 12.5 million)= BFN
IUI cancelled (DH OOT) Clomid 50mg (CD3-7) 1 follicle +(not well timed) TI = BFN
IUI #8 and last one!! Clomid 100mg (CD3-7) +OPK before US + IUI 4/17 (post wash 8.5 mil)= BFN

Pre-IVF testing complete! SHG great and measurements taken! Labs for infectious diseases completed, FSH (5.4), TSH (1.6), Prolactin (11), AMH (2.6), Estradiol (40).

Started BCP 5/29 and Lupron 6/11 prep for IVF #1! Started follistim 225u/day on 6/28. Monitoring on 7/2 >15 follicles measuring 11-14, E2 758. Monitoring on 7/5 all ready to go!! Great follicle sizes and lining is at 9. Tigger 7/5, ER 7/7 16R 9M 3F. Stimmed too fast in just 7 days. 7/10 3dt of 2 8-cell grade 2 & 4. 7/14 P4 >60.
Holy crap BFP!!!
Beta #1 (14dpo) 7/21 112 Beta #2 (16dpo) 7/23 286 a Beta #3 (18dpo) 7/25 761 Beta #4 (21dpo) 2631!!! Hold on tight little embies!!
  First Ultrasound 8/7- 1 perfect little bean with a beating heart 117bpm!! EDD 3/30.
Second ultrasound 9/2 Little bean measuring a few days ahead with a heart rate of 161!

PAIF/SAIF/All Welcome!

Pregnancy Ticker

March 15 Siggy Challenge: You had one job

Re: FMLA for IVF?

• YES! Def file FMLA. It would fall under "Intermittent FMLA". My boss has been really great, also, but it's best to CYA. GL!!
    On 10/23/13 Baby Sophie and Baby Gabriel born at 21+5 weeks. They grew wings and flew away from us. May God bless them always. We love you beans!
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    Phoebe Jaslene born at 19w3d. We love you beba! Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• dp21dp21 member
    Hello fellow peds nurse!  Which shift do you work?  I understanding the difficulty of a nurse's schedule! 

Me:
    30, DH: 32
    My hx:  uterus/hormones normal Dx: low AMH 0.5 = poor ovarian reserve
    hubby hx: low sperm count, poor motility, started on clomid, retest in May showed no improvement, will be on clomid another 3 months, another retest scheduled for August

Started IVF #1:  ~BFP Mentioned~
    • ER (Thursday April 17th, 3 precious eggs).
    • April 18th: Received news 2 out of 3 eggs fertilized!
    •  Planned 3dt: Easter day, transferred two 8B embryos and received pictures :)
    • BFP starting 8dp3dt 5/1 Beta #1: 87, 5/3 Beta #2 206 
    • 5/19 Heartbeat 123bpm
    • EDD 1/8/15

• Loading the player...
  • For my job is was actually under "Short term disability" leave so I could get paid for three days of being out (Because six days counted and they pay you after three days).  Because my job requires me to be on my feet, walking all the time, and lifting up to 40lbs. - I talked to my RE about taking time off for it.  But I do know if you're just looking to not be "punished" for having to be late a few times or take a day or two or three of FMLA would be a great way to go.  I'm sure it will be approved, but be aware, your HR uses a 3rd party to do the background usually - so even if they are a childrens hospital it's probably an insurance company that will call and check with your doctor about it all.

TTC since July 2009. Dx MFI & LPD. 
    IUI#1&2&3 (2011 & 2012) BFN
    IUI#4 1/23/13 on 75iu x9 Follistim = BFP then chem preg m/c (Feb 2013)
    IUI#5 BFN (April 2013)
    IVF w/ICSI Oct. 2, 2012 - 13R, 11M, 7F, 1 frozen blast 4BB grade - - - FET Nov 15, 2013
    BFP! Beta 1:104 @ 10dp6dt, Beta 2:178 @ 12dp6dt,  beta 3:366 @ 14dp6dt
    Saw heartbeat twice before missed M/C at 8w3d on 12/27/13, missing my little angel boy
    JUNE 2014 IVF#2;  5R, 2M, 1F Three day transfer 6/7.  Beta 6/18 - BFN
    Child Free Now?
    S/PAIFW , S/PALW

My Blog

• Thank you all for your responses!
    @dp21 I work straight days but 40 hours a week so sometimes 3 12s (7a-7:30p) and a 4 (3p-7:30p) or sometimes 2 12s(7a-7:30p) and 2 8s (7a-3:30p) . It's tough because the 12 hour shifts make it impossible to schedule appointments! I'm a NICU nurse so at least there usually isn't any heavy lifting! :)

@katib77‌ that sounds similar to my use of FMLA. I think my first 40 hours of intermittent have to come from my vacation time or be unpaid which I'm okay with. I have to fill out a bunch of paperwork, then my doctor has to as well. There is one lady in HR that makes the final call in approving it. I went through it for surgeries in the past (sinus surgery x2 and gallbladder). I'm just hoping they consider IF as a serious medical condition, which it is!!

Started seeing an RE!!
    2 more cycles of clomid 50mg (great response), with IUI and Pregnyl trigger (4.8-8 mil good ones after wash) = all BFN
    December 2013 DH saw urologist and is taking Anastrozole, CoQ10, and L-Carnitine
    IUI #6 Follistim 75iu (CD3-10) + Pregnyl (CD11) + IUI (final count after wash 300K) = BFN
    IUI #7 Follistim 75iu (CD3-9) + Pregnyl (CD11) + IUI on 2/20 (post wash count 12.5 million)= BFN
    IUI cancelled (DH OOT) Clomid 50mg (CD3-7) 1 follicle +(not well timed) TI = BFN
    IUI #8 and last one!! Clomid 100mg (CD3-7) +OPK before US + IUI 4/17 (post wash 8.5 mil)= BFN

Pre-IVF testing complete! SHG great and measurements taken! Labs for infectious diseases completed, FSH (5.4), TSH (1.6), Prolactin (11), AMH (2.6), Estradiol (40).

Started BCP 5/29 and Lupron 6/11 prep for IVF #1! Started follistim 225u/day on 6/28. Monitoring on 7/2 >15 follicles measuring 11-14, E2 758. Monitoring on 7/5 all ready to go!! Great follicle sizes and lining is at 9. Tigger 7/5, ER 7/7 16R 9M 3F. Stimmed too fast in just 7 days. 7/10 3dt of 2 8-cell grade 2 & 4. 7/14 P4 >60.
    Holy crap BFP!!!
    Beta #1 (14dpo) 7/21 112 Beta #2 (16dpo) 7/23 286 a Beta #3 (18dpo) 7/25 761 Beta #4 (21dpo) 2631!!! Hold on tight little embies!!
      First Ultrasound 8/7- 1 perfect little bean with a beating heart 117bpm!! EDD 3/30.
    Second ultrasound 9/2 Little bean measuring a few days ahead with a heart rate of 161!

PAIF/SAIF/All Welcome!

Pregnancy Ticker

• dp21dp21 member
    @Lillovebug79 ugh, I feel you.  I'm straight evenings 32 hours, which was actually great for IVF.  Was able to do all morning appointments and ultrasounds without interfering with work.  The only days I had to worry about were ET and ER. I switched out a bunch of a days ahead of time and worked my weekend off to open up the weekdays around the possible ER and ET days.  Also lined up a nurse at work to give me trigger shot if I happened to be at work that night.  That worked out great for me.  ET fell on Easter, I was scheduled to work but did clear out days around it by making switches, figured if it fell on Easter was prepared to call off because no one was going to pick it up.  I found someone to cover 1st 1/2 half of shift OA but not second half (not surprising).  I told my manager what was going on and she actually approved it off!  We also get 3 call-ins in a 6 month period without getting talked to.  So also had that to fall on.  Also when you start IVF, you will know your schedule, blood draw and ultrasound days (all in morning)...just transfer and retrieval will be up in the air, but you have a good idea of approximately when.  Mine actually followed my calendar pretty closely.  Usually evening people hate eves and probably wouldn't mind working days for two weeks if you worked their eves if that is an option!  I know I'd jump for it as an evening person if the FMLA doesn't work out! 

My blood draw, ultrasound week was kinda crazy because I had finals for grad school that week. 

I did tell a few close people who worked my shift about what I was going through, told them, if I'm asking for switches, that is what is going on, and people were extra accommodating and made it happen.

Me:
    hubby hx: low sperm count, poor motility, started on clomid, retest in May showed no improvement, will be on clomid another 3 months, another retest scheduled for August

• 5/19 Heartbeat 123bpm
    • EDD 1/8/15

• Lillovebug79Lillovebug79 member
    edited April 2014
    @dp21 we don't really have any evening people, mostly all 12 hour people with a few people who do some 4 hours shifts mixed in. It's just really hard to rearrange with my 12 hr shifts. My 3p-7:30p shift is really the only one that allows me to do any monitoring. My position is also really specific and we only have a few contingents and they are working around their family's needs. It sucks but I'm sure I can figure out something if I have to. We are only allowed 4 call offs in a 12 month rolling calendar year and I've already used 2 just with IUIs and monitoring. I only work every 4th weekend so it's nice to be able to switch to those days if I need to.

Started seeing an RE!!

Holy crap BFP!!!

PAIF/SAIF/All Welcome!

Pregnancy Ticker

• Also, my paperwork said I needed to be off work for ER and the day after as well as ET and the day after. Hopefully those 4 days don't fall in the same week if I can't get FMLA! Is it normal to need that much time off?

Started seeing an RE!!

Holy crap BFP!!!

PAIF/SAIF/All Welcome!

Pregnancy Ticker

• dp21dp21 member
    @Lillovebug79 Darn for being mostly 12 hour shifts!  I think the NICU at my hospital is all 12s as well.  I work every other weekend.  Every 4th weekend is awesome!!  At least you have a sweet work schedule for life :):)  I will be praying for you, I hope you can get FMLA or short term disability.  I didn't even think to look into it at all.  It will all work out, you will make it happen!!!  I know you will.  I know it's stressful.  Shoot, I've cried the past three days!  In 5 days I'll know if all of this has worked.

On a side note, I love getting preemie babies from the NICU.  Especially lately, I hope they give me good vibes :)  They give the best snuggles :) 

Me:

• 5/19 Heartbeat 123bpm
    • EDD 1/8/15

• I never used FMLA, but I do know it was an option for me.  It will help when  you have to take some time off, since then you can take it without question.  Good luck!
  • I'm a nurse also im not sure how your scheduling is done but we self schedule and have our sched a month ahead of time, I knew that we were doing a cycle in april and so I scheduled myself just where I would be off on days that I needed, we did fet so it doesn't have as many monitoring apts as ivf. the other nurses in the floor are really good about switching if anyone needs a day off. Good luck with this cycle!
    *loss and BFP mentioned*
    Me: Endo & No Tubes 
    DH: perfect!
    IVF#1 (Sept 2013) Long Lupron Protocol
               17 retrieved, 15 fert, 1 perfect blast trans, 10 frozen
                BFP--Ended-- Blighted Ovum
    FET#2 Tentative Sched: Start meds CD1=Feb 1, ET= Feb 19-20
              One Grade 4AA Blast transferred, 5dpt- BFP HPT, 6dpt- line darker
              Beta #1- 50, Beta #2- 30
              BFN- Chemical preg
    FET#3 CD1-4/11, start Injections on CD13, ET scheduled- 4/29
             CD12 u/s & bw- Lining 8.7, estrogen 335, cleared for ET in one week!
             CD19 ET- Two Grade 4AA Blast transferred one with assisted hatching
             4dpt- POAS = BFP!....POAS everyday after = DARKER! FX!
             Beta #1- 703!  Beta #2- 4,004! 
             First U/S, 5wk0d- TWO gest sacs, Both with yolk sacs and a fetal pole both measuring 3d ahead!
    ((Thank you LORD, praying these LO grow, grow, grow!)) 
    **Due date Jan 14th- Boy/Girl twins**

imageimage

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"