Working Moms
Options

When to tell prospective employer you're pregnant?

I know I'm not a regular on this board, but I thought this was the best place to ask this question. I did a search but didn't see this topic (though I did see the one about how much time to tell someone you're planning on taking if interviewing while pregnant)

I heard about a job opening that sounds perfect to me a few weeks ago. I wasn't really looking actively because I'm pregnant, but it's basically my dream job, so I decided that I should apply and not let the opportunity pass me by. Well, I was contacted for a phone interview. That went really well, and now I have another interview scheduled. The headquarters for the company are out of state, so this one is also over the phone. At what point is it appropriate or necessary to tell them that I'm expecting? I only took 9 weeks with my son, and I am only planning on 8 ish weeks this time. I know they can't legally decide not to hire me because of this, but I don't want them to think I was trying to hide something from them once they do find out. What would you do?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: When to tell prospective employer you're pregnant?

• Options
    12 weeks, but wait until you've got the job. Don't feel like you are hiding something. It's really not their business if you are pregnant until you get the job. How far along are you?
    My TTC History:
    2009: missed miscarriage #1 at 9 weeks (trisomy 16)
    2010: Infertility
    2011: Diagnosis and treatment (low sperm count, anastrozole for DH, clomid for me + IUI)
    2012: Baby #1
    2014: Baby #2
    October 2015: missed miscarriage #2 at 11 weeks (trisomy 22)
    March 2016 BFP#5, due November 2016.

My Charts since 2009

• Options
    I'm already 16 weeks and showing since it's my second; the bump just appeared last week.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I agree to wait u til you have an offer and are in that "negotiation" stage. I work in HR and we see a lot where people already have vacation etc planned and paid for, so negotiate that future time off. Obviously MATL is not a vacation, but same concept- its time off that you already can foresee. Good luck w the interview and rest of the pregnancy.

BabyGaga

• Options
    shannmshannm member
    edited April 2014
    Wait until you get an offer. You actually put them in an awkward situation if you tell them beforehand because if they truly do not want to make an offer for legit reasons, they may feel pressure to do so anyway for fear of discrimination accusations. If they are a professional business, they will not have an issue with you waiting to disclose till after an offer. It protects everyone that way.
  • Options
    Thanks, ladies. That's what I was thinking, but MH keeps telling me I should find a way to tell them. I'll just wait and see how the next interview goes. I'm not sure if they'll eventually bring me in to the local office (I'd assume so, but my potential boss is in a different state, so maybe not? ). If they do, there's really no hiding it. I'll stop over thinking this; don't want to put the cart before the horse...
  • Options
    shannm said:
    Wait until you get an offer. You actually put them in an awkward situation if you tell them beforehand because if they truly do not want to make an offer for legit reasons, they may feel pressure to do so anyway for fear of discrimination accusations. If they are a professional business, they will not have an issue with you waiting to disclose till after an offer. It protects everyone that way.

STUCK IN BOX:
    Exactly this.  I told my new manager when I accepted.  I actually added it on casually "...and I'm expecting in September so should I talk with you or HR about scheduling my time off in September?"  
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"