November 2013 Moms

Question about TV

Ok, I am late to the party so please don't hate me - I just read the UO posts. I do not let S watch TV at home and have been very adamant about that from the beginning, even though DH doesn't agree and fights me on it. So here's my question:

We are currently traveling. S hates the car. As in screams, giant tears, snot faced mess every time we're in the car for more than 10 minutes. I have tried everything, even switching to a convertible car seat way sooner than we planned to. Sometimes the only thing that will calm him down is watching a video on my phone.

So is it better to let him scream? Is even a very small amount of screen time a bad idea? I have always thought, as long as it is not a regular thing, a little bit here or there isn't a huge deal. The UO thread made me wonder. What do you guys think based on your research?

Re: Question about TV

• Personally, I don't think a little here and there is going to ruin your kid, but I've decided to completely stay away from it with F.

One thing to think about is if you let your babe watch TV for every car trip, eventually he's going to start expecting TV for each trip. I'm not sure how often you use screen time to get him to cooperate, but it's something to think about.

We bought a little mirror that hooks to the headrest of the seat his car seat is on that plays music and flashes lights. It distracts him for a good while. We're also planning on buying some baby song CDs to play for him for our road trip next month. Not sure if they'll work, but it's an idea.

And lastly, if my husband or I can ride in the back seat with him to play peek-a-boo or put his binky back in, we've found he cries less with that, because he likes having someone to look at and play with.
  • MksbcMksbc member
    To clarify, we don't use it every time in the car . We actually have that same mirror! :) There are a few kids songs that will work for a little bit (we played Teddy Bears Picnic 6 times in a row on the drive to the airport) and I do sit in the back with him if it's going to be a long trip. So the TV thing is just a last option if all of that is not working.
  • Loading the player...
  • Personally, I would feel like a worse mom letting my LO scream in the car over using a little TV time.  When N was a newborn, I would have done anything at one point to make him stop during a 1 1/2 hour road trip.  Nothing (not even me right next to him singing) would stop the tears, it was heartbreaking and we had to stop.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"