Stay at Home Moms

Erin and Aaron

Do you pronounce them the same or differently?

Re: Erin and Aaron

• Loading the player...
  • Totally different....I didn't even know people would pronounce these the same
  • I pronounce them the same. I can't imagine them being different. Can someone explain?
  • Rink08Rink08 member
    edited April 2014

I pronounce them the same. I can't imagine them being different. Can someone explain?

EH-rin, AIR-in, AH-rin or "ren" at the end
  • Same. But I also pronounce Mary, marry and merry the same.
    This exactly!
    E+C
    (+ hers and his, ages 13 & 8)
    TTC
  • Different. They're very different sounds!
    imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • traceyboo37traceyboo37 member
    edited April 2014
    Different because "e" and "a" have different sounds.
  • Same. And even reading your descriptions of how they should be different, I'm not seeing/hearing it.

Same. But thanks for trying :)
  • Same.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BFP with #2- Sept 6, 2013  EDD May 20, 2014   MC Sept 26, 2013 @ 6 wks 2 days

• Yeah, I'm thinking if you pronounce Mary, merry and marry the same (as I do), you pronounce these the same as well?

• I'm still not how you pronounce these differently. I'm trying and coming up with the same sound.
    Me too.  I'm not getting the difference at all.  And yes, all the Mary variations sound the same.
    DD - 12/31/13
  • edited April 2014
    Erin and Aaron are different. Marry, Mary, and merry are different. Aunt and ant are different. ETA: MIL said "aunt" like "ain't", but most people out here say it like "ant".
  • To me, aunt and ant are both "ant", and Keri is pronounced like "Carrie".
  • IcjtIcjt member
    They are said the same for me too.
    Mom to I (May 2001), C (Jan. 2004), J (Aug 2006), T (2012)
  • LOL this is blowing my mind. I had NO idea people said these words differently. None at all. I was born and raised in Indiana, went to college here, got mArried here, am raising my family here. We say MARY Christmas. My cousin is Aaron and I pronounce it exactly like Erin. Unless I'm making fun of him (often) because he is a giant douche and acts superior, I will say AHH-ren, again just being dramatic. How DO you all say Merry Christmas then? Like George Bush, "People of 'Murica" style?
    DocumentsMy PicturesBabyBump13+wks.bmp BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Very different. I was sure this post was going to be a question about whether or not Erin and Aaron are okay as a sibset. I was shocked when I saw the actual question

@eaglesfan700‌ - It was brought to mind because I saw it as a sibset's (twins) middle names.

• cjcouple said:

LOL this is blowing my mind. I had NO idea people said these words differently. None at all. I was born and raised in Indiana, went to college here, got mArried here, am raising my family here. We say MARY Christmas. My cousin is Aaron and I pronounce it exactly like Erin. Unless I'm making fun of him (often) because he is a giant douche and acts superior, I will say AHH-ren, again just being dramatic. How DO you all say Merry Christmas then? Like George Bush, "People of 'Murica" style?

merry
    very
    jerry (springer)
    Kerry
    terry

all have an eh sound.

i don't get how you all can teach your kids letter sounds when you're saying a and e have same ah sound. lol

anyone have the fridge phonics? put the e in man and listen closely. hahahaha.

I don't get it. So you say very like furry?

DocumentsMy PicturesBabyBump13+wks.bmp BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Kimbus22 said:
    AprilLVE said:

I'm still not how you pronounce these differently. I'm trying and coming up with the same sound.
    Me too.  I'm not getting the difference at all.  And yes, all the Mary variations sound the same.
    So Merry Christmas and Mary, Jesus' mom are said the same way?  Really?
    Lol, yep!
    DD - 12/31/13
  • Completely different. They aren't the same at all!
    My daughter is my hero.
  • Kimbus22 said:

cjcouple said:

LOL this is blowing my mind. I had NO idea people said these words differently. None at all. I was born and raised in Indiana, went to college here, got mArried here, am raising my family here. We say MARY Christmas. My cousin is Aaron and I pronounce it exactly like Erin. Unless I'm making fun of him (often) because he is a giant douche and acts superior, I will say AHH-ren, again just being dramatic. How DO you all say Merry Christmas then? Like George Bush, "People of 'Murica" style?

merry
    very
    jerry (springer)
    Kerry
    terry

all have an eh sound.

i don't get how you all can teach your kids letter sounds when you're saying a and e have same ah sound. lol

anyone have the fridge phonics? put the e in man and listen closely. hahahaha.

I don't get it. So you say very like furry?

What the hell?  No.  Very is like Jerry.  Furry is like slurry.

Ok yeah, that's how I say them too. I was confused.

• I say very like fairy. Right?
  • alakealake member
    DD3 is Eryn and we say it the same way.
    She is named after one of my best friends, Aaron, who was killed 23 months to the day before she was born.  Her name is spelled after a really good friend of mine who spells it with an y not an i.
  • I've tired my hardest all day to pronounce them different. I can't. I didn't even know it was an option. I'm from Chicago, and I fully recognize we have our own language here.
    Andrea 7/9/08, Joaquin 4/18/11, boy coming 12/18/13 Forever missed: Gabriel 11/24/09 at 20 weeks
  • I've tired my hardest all day to pronounce them different. I can't. I didn't even know it was an option. I'm from Chicago, and I fully recognize we have our own language here.

I'm from northwest Indiana and went to IU in Bloomington, IN. People there knew I was from "the region." Something about the way I say my "A's" I guess. A lot of my Mom's family lives in GA. They make fun of how I say Aunt. They make it sound like I say Ain't, which I don't. But it does sound between ain't and ant. I definitely do not say aunt like ahh-nt. Not at all.
  • Very, fairy, Mary, merry and marry all rhyme to me. Erin and Aaron are pronounced the same. Unless you say A-A-Ron like the Key & Peele skit ;).
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Same for me.  I say both like Erin, with a short i sound in the end. One is a girl and one is boy, both named Erin. :)

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Someone needs to post a video saying it different! My DH thinks I'm crazy over here repeating words to myself! I can't make them sound differently.

Same here...I just can't hear a difference. Same with Mary, merry and marry. I just don't hear it. (Born and raised in CA)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Kimbus22 said:
    So people say Merry Christmas the same way they'd say Marry Chris?

I don't understand.
    I don't understand how you DON'T! Like seriously can't imagine it.
  • I say air-ren for each. I know a married couple...they are Erin and Aaron. They say them the same way.
    That is so funny, I also know a married couple and they too pronounce it the same.  
  • So I just watched a clip on youtube, and I get how they are different. If I was to speak very slowly, they may sound different. But in normal conversation they sound the same. I'm from Maryland. Oh and Aaron and Erin sound the same.

• NandaB said:
    @kimbus2 here is the original link. Lala says it like you ( I would imagine by your outrage, lol)nHav says them mostly the same if I remember correctly.

https://forums.thebump.com/discussion/9098112/say-this/p2
    Even though Lala says it like I do, you can tell we have different accents. I always find it so weird how accents can vary so much in such a relatively small space.
  • Same for me.  I say both like Erin, with a short i sound in the end. One is a girl and one is boy, both named Erin. :)

It's not the second syllable that's different. It's the first. Er is not pronounced the same as Aar
    imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"