December 2012 Moms
Options

Pregnancy/Interviewing

One of my clients reached out about an open position with their organization.  It's not the best time to make a career move being 4 months pregnant to an organization that's too small to qualify for FMLA leave, but it's basically a dream job (CFO of a medium sized not-for-profit), so I don't want to pass up the opportunity.  Since this is a client that I work with frequently, they already knew that I'm expecting and they asked that I come up with a plan for how I'd handle the time off if I get the job (they're interviewing other candidates; I'm not sure how good my chances really are).  I have no idea what to offer.  On one hand, I do want the job and am tempted to promise the moon ("Sure, I'll be available 24/7 by phone or email"), but I don't want to over promise/under deliver (I do remember those first few weeks) or take too much time away from the new baby.  Anyone have any experience with anything similar?

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

imageimage

Re: Pregnancy/Interviewing

• Options
    I have no clue why this upsets me,but they reached out to you why the hell should you have to come up with a plan??  With that being said, if someone came to you in this situation what is it that you would like to have them tell you, what seems appropriate and feasible to you?  Think back at your last pregancy and what is it that you felt you needed more of, less of?
  • Options
    Hmmm, I would tell them that for the first 2-4 weeks you will be completely out of the office, period. No phone or email, etc. After that, maybe  physically check in 3 mornings a week and work from home most of the time. Adjust from there?

I was answering emails in the recovery room after I had Killian and bringing work home from the office after the first week. I never really disconnected which is my one big regret. If I could do it over I'd take those first couple weeks for sure but I love my job so I'd want to be semi-connected after that.
      Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 
    image image image
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Personally I wouldn't compromise the time I planned to spend with my LO even for my dream job. We give up so much time with our children as working moms and I'm not willing to compromise on my maternity leave.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerAnniversary

• Options
    I think kescalera has a good "plan" outlined. Maybe the week after L&D, you could check email once or twice, but only reply if urgent... etc. It also depends on if there is soneone else within the organization that could fill in part time, or will your SO be the main person at home/VERY involved (some things will be same as last time, others will change since you'll have 2 LOs). Also, in the event of more medical intervention being needed (i.e. bed rest or csection), how would that impact your ability to work? I would outline for that possibility as well.

Also, leading up to birth, what would your restrictions be? (recall being very tired & I went out a month early but was answering emails at that point. Now LO does not let me do that & cannot imagine having more energy the 2nd time around).
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I agree with the first comment: If THEY are coming after YOU they should be accommodating to your leave. Remember that you have the power here, considering you currently have a good job. Don't let them make you feel otherwise. I would only offer to do what is totally reasonable for you. (Those first few weeks are hard enough without work related anxiety.) If they are unwilling to agree to your terms then you probably don't want to work for them anyway.
    Me (25) DH (33) BFP #1 on cycle #4: 2/7/12 - M/C 2/26/12 BFP #2 on cycle #1: 4/3/12 - DD born 12/18/12
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"