Nurseries and Baby Gear
Options

Can someone help with babywearing?

I have an Ergo with an infant insert from my twins.  I never used it to be honest.  It wasn't convenient for when we were out, we always needed the stroller for the other twin anyway, etc.  I didn't use it around the house either.  So, I failed.

I am due with a singleton in June.  My twins will have just turned 2 and I need to be realistic and think it will be easier to wear this baby and hold the twins' hands when we are out. Which we are every day.   Does anyone have any recommendations for the first few months?  I was thinking about a Moby or a Ring Sling...but I am a technical mess.  I've heard the Moby is hard configure? Or, does anyone recommend the Ergo from the beginning?

Thanks!

B/G twins born 5/12

Re: Can someone help with babywearing?

• Options
    edited April 2014
    I'm in no way a baby wearing expert, just my experience. With dd I started with the Moby and hated it, it was to complicated for me. So then I got the baby k'tan and liked it better but I never felt that she was that secure in it. After that I got the Baby Bjorn and really liked that it was structured. But it hurt my back horribly once she was about 4 months old, and at that point I pretty much stopped baby wearing.

This time Im going straight to a more structured carrier (but one with a wider seat base since it's better for baby) since I know that I liked that best. I bought the ergo and plan on using that from the beginning with the infant insert.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    The moby is a little difficult at first but once you figure out the style you want, it's fairly easy. We also have the Ergo with newborn insert but honestly used the Moby in the beginning WAY more often than the Ergo.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

#2-BO 6/6/13 D/C     #3 natural m/c 8/6/13 

#4 EDD 5/19/14 It's a boy! 

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    K'tan for tiny babies, beco for bigger ones. I loved the ease of use on the k'tan without needing the time to wrap a moby or drag it on the ground. My love for beco continues to grow every time I use it so comfy and baby fit much better than the ergo.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I'm no expert either..just my experience...

Moby..I used when DD was very small..i found it had a short shelf life. I didn't find it difficult to use. I watched  youtube video, it took me maybe 3 tries and I knew how to tie it. Once she hit 13-14lbs, I felt like I couldn't get her in it securely and she would sag rather quickly.

Ergo--we used this the most. I didn't care for it with the infant insert and used it the most once she was bigger and we didn't need the insert (3.5- 4 months maybe?). Definitely used this carrier the most. It was easy for me to get her in. however, once we started to put her on our back (8-9months) I always need my husband's help to get her in there.

Ring sling..I used one. I don't know that I would have shelled out alot of $ for it. My mom made it off the pattern on the maya ring sling site. I did like it..but there's a learning curve on how to use it and get it on comfortably  and the long tail annoyed me.

• Options
    I have 3 options.  The K'tan was nice for the first 3 months but I prefer the Beco Gemini after that. It's easy to put on and use.  I also got a ring sling just for times when space is limited. I plan to keep it in my diaper bag.  
    image   image
    We were 2 under 2, now 3 under 3!
    Team Green turned Team Pink with #1, Team Green turned Team Blue with #2, Team Green turned Team Pink again with #3
  • Options
    I used the ergo with the infant insert for the first 2 months and really like it. My lo snuggled right down and always feel asleep. Once he was a little but older (3 months or so) I stopped upswing the infant insert but would put a rolled up blanket under his butt to keep him up a little higher and it seemed to work. Now he is older i have started using the ergo with th hip carry and back carry and it is nice. I had a moby with my first and used it once, was just to complex for me.
  • Options
    I LOVED my k'tan and then used the ergo around 3-4 months. I found he ktan comfortable and easy to use.

• Options
    I used the Beco Gemini from about 3 weeks old, as my DD2 was already over the minimum weight. I used it up until recently (she's 2) as I'm now 6 months pregnant. I love it! I plan to use that again with DS due this summer. I am also getting a Sakura Bloom linen ring sling for DS. I had the Moby and hated it...toooooo long and dragged when trying to tie.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    We bought the K'Tan for the baby who is about to arrive. For our first, I made a mei tai and loved it from 3 mos to about 6 mos. then we switched to Ergo, which I still use with my 21 mo old. I carried her in it for about an hour last weekend and I'm 37 weeks pregnant. She's about 25 lbs. The Ergo is just that fab for us. So, to recap, this time we are going K'Tan, then possibly back to mei tai, then to a Ergo.
  • Options
    I used Ergo with great success from 4 week.  I was able to breastfeed DD while carrying her - easily!  I never bothered with the infant insert because it was too hot - July.

I bought Moby and used it three times.  But those who stick with it and get used to it are rewarded with the versatility.  I found it to be a pain to wrap, and again, it was too hot for all that fabric.
  • Options
    I also have an Ergo and a Moby but my favorite newborn carrier is my Sakura Bloom sling.  It was a life saver those first few months.  Much easier to use than the Moby and so easy to travel with (you can easily stash it in the diaper bag or purse when not using it).   I still regularly use it at 11 months. 
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    rn8rn8 member

Thank you all for your responses!!! I was on mobile over the weekend and haven't figured out to respond from there (see... I am not technical...).  Anyway, I think the K'tan is my best option since (from what I understand), it stays structured and I don't need to wrap and rewrap each time we are in and out of the car.  I don't see my 2 year olds being patient with that.

Thank you again.

B/G twins born 5/12

• Options
    ss265ss265 member
    OP, I would recommend going to a store and trying the K'tan out in person before purchasing. I can't tell from your original post why you didn't use/like the Ergo but the K'tan is basically a wrap that has some of the wrapping already done for you. You would still have to figure out how to put it on by looking at pictures/video. I had a K'tan with my first and didn't use it because I couldn't get over the initial hump of learning to use it and I probably got too small a size (this second factor was the main reason I didn't use it).

• Options
    rn8rn8 member
    Ok, I will.  Thanks!

B/G twins born 5/12

• Options
    amiefamief member
    Agree with pp, definitely go into a store and have them show you how to use it.   You do have to still configure it a bit, but it is very simple, and much much faster than a wrap.   I loved the wrap, but felt like I got the same carry with the K'tan without taking the time.  win win.  
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    DH and I both tried them out at Buy Buy Baby with their 10 lb doll they use for showing you car seats. It completely sold us on the K'Tan. I was completely dubious about the Moby (21 month old would have lost patience in about a nanosecond with that nonsense), but DH and I both loved the K'Tan. We bought one for each of us and will continue using the Ergo for DD until she outgrows it or tires of it.
  • Options
    rn8rn8 member
    I watched the Youtube videos on the K'tan  website this morning and think I need to try it out in a store... but it looks doable. 

B/G twins born 5/12

• Options
    rn8 said:
    I watched the Youtube videos on the K'tan  website this morning and think I need to try it out in a store... but it looks doable. 
    It is!  The first few times it will be confusing, but once you get the hang of it, super easy!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Emily 8.8.08
    Madeline 1.2.11
    William 8.5.12
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"