Working Moms

Any dental hygienists working and pumping?

I will be going back to work next month and am not sure how this whole pumping thing will work. How do you do pumping while working? With patient appts and all? TIA!
Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Any dental hygienists working and pumping?

• I'm not a dental hygienist, but I'm a mental health therapist and have patient appointments scheduled every hour all day. Pumping was very hard and stressful, but I made it 13 months, so it can be done!

I pumped in the car on the way to work every morning. I came in 30 minutes early (started seeing patients at 7:30 instead of 8:00) so that I could have a 30 minute pump break at 10:30. I pumped at lunch (12:30) and once in the afternoon around 4:00. For the afternoon pump session, I usually had to run late getting my 4:00 pm patient and had to stay a few minutes late to make up for it. Another option would be to pump on the way home.

I was able to fit in 4 pump sessions a day, but my supply was on the low side, so you may be able to get by with 3 pump sessions depending on how long your work day is. Something else that helped was getting a note from my OB saying that I needed to pump at least every 3 hours. I was getting mastitis from not pumping often enough, so I got the note from my OB, and that's how I was able to start running late for my 4:00 pm patient so that I could pump.

I would go ahead and talk with your employer and let them know that you will need to pump every 3 hours. Maybe they would be willing to let you block your schedule for 15 to 20 minutes every few hours to pump. Otherwise, you may have to just run behind getting patients. Legally, they have to allow you to pump, though, and they have to provide you with a private place to pump that's not a bathroom.

Good luck! I know it's hard and stressful to pump when you have a job that involves patient appointments. Hang in there, and do the best you can! It will go by fast, and it's so worth it to be able to keep nursing LO when you're together!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker Tickerimage
  • I am. Talk to you doc and see if you can stretch your lunch into 2 or 3 mini sessions. Unfortunately most offices are private practice with less than the minimum 50 employees required to provide all the pumping perks you'd find in other professions :(. If there isn't a private room they can make available (a lab or supply room, maybe even your operatory if you have a door?) maybe you can pump in your car. Make sure to pack mini meals so you can make up for your lunch while pumping. It also helped me to rent a Symphony pump as it made pumping more comfortable and much more efficient. If you're fortunate enough to not have to go to your car, make a small sign to put on the door so no one comes barging in to pour a model or grab bibs. Also be a bit flexible, if you have a cancellation, use that time to pump. Make sure your scheduler is clear on what you and the doc agree to and that you're blocked accordingly. Also, I would discuss these things ASAP and well before you return so that accommodation can be made and the schedule can be altered. As PP said I too arrived early to work and pumped before the day began, again every three hours after that which usually meant working thru lunch. It's totally doable but communication and planning well beforehand are key. You'll make it work momma :)

my hero wears kevlar Pictures, Images and Photos

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I agree with PP about renting a hospital grade pump. I did this too, and it made pumping go much faster. Also, to save time, just keep your pump parts in a ziploc bag in the fridge (or cooler bag with ice packs) in between pumps and just wash at the end of the day.
  • I didn't think about no legal protections since there are less than 50 employees. I wasn't legally protected either because I'm salaried (the law only protects hourly employees). My supervisor was pretty supportive, though. I talked to her ahead of time, and we figured out a plan. Also, the note from my doctor saying I needed to pump every 3 hours to prevent mastitis was helpful because that made it a medical issue.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"