Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

Pretending or mimicking?

I can't remember at what age LOs start pretending, so I'm not sure if DS's behaviors are mimicking or pretending. Lately he crawls on the floor making cat noises and acting like a cat- rubbing on me, etc. He laughs when I pet him and say good kitty!! He also stands over the dog's bowls and pretends to eat and makes the same noise the dog does when he's drinking his water. At 16 mo do you think it's him mimicking or is this the beginning of pretend play?
imageimage

Re: Pretending or mimicking?

• I've been wondering the same thing. I kinda came to the conclusion that it's prob a little of both, since they are usually mimicking some behavior they've seen and then pretending to do/act like whatever that thing is. Your DS and the animal thing is so cute. My DD has always wanted to be all up in the kitchen anytime anyone is making something and now she "cooks" on a reg basis. She will gather random objects and put them in a big pot, stir them up, put the lid on the pot and tell you "ouch!!"(as if her pot it hot). She'll get some form of a plate or bowl and scoop out one of the objects from her pot with the spoon and bring it to us. We pretend to eat it of course, and say "Mmmmm" and whatnot...and she will say "bite?"(as in do you want more) Or "all done?"
    I'm assuming she does this both bc she is mimicking us cooking, and pretending to cook whatever it is on her own and then serve us lol! But I could be totally off, I'm sure everybody's toddler probably "cooks", too. Idk. I guess to me the two go hand in hand, if that makes sense?

• LimaDLimaD member
    edited April 2014
    Either way, that's adorable! :)
    The main thing that DD has done to mimic/pretend play is with her play food/dishes.  I especially like when she takes a big "drink" from her cup and smacks her lips afterwards and throws in a refreshing "ahh"
  • Loading the player...
  • I think one leads into another. DS plays putting makeup on with me in the morning. DH gets home from work while I am getting ready to leave and he said "Oh are you getting pretty with mama?" Now when DS sees anything getting ready related, be it makeup brush, tooth brush or blow dryer he say "OH Pretty!"

He was also quietly playing in his room and I when in there and he was "flying" a toy airplane and making an engine noise. I don't know where he picked that up but that was very much pretending to me.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"