High-Risk Pregnancy

XP Termie after preemie birth story (ehazie)

I remember searching for stories like mine during my months on bedrest, hoping it gives those on 17P, facing PTL or dealing with bedrest some hope!

Pregnancy:
While we were very hopeful for a "normal" pregnancy thinking my previous problems were related to an undiagnosed small abruption causing uterine irritability and then finally a larger abruption and PTL, it quickly seemed that was not in the cards. Preterm contractions started at 16 weeks. They seemed a little better after starting 17OH Progesterone the following week but then picked up heading into late 2nd tri. At 25 weeks I had 2 hours of timeable contractions every 2-3mins so we went in to L&D. I was admitted for threatened preterm labor and given steroids and magnesium. After the steroid course was complete I was discharged home on nifedipine and bedrest. I had no cervical change during my admission despite frequent, intense contractions, but given this was similar to what happened at 27 weeks with my son, we decided to be very cautious. I had one additional PTL scare at 33 weeks where contractions were more intense and consistent. I was contracting every 2-3 mins for 4 hours on the monitors but again with no cervical change, they then spaced. I became convinced that the combo of the 17P and bedrest was keeping me pregnant and wondered what would happen when they both were stopped.

Prodromal Labor:
My 17P wore off at 37 weeks and I slowly increased my activity from 35 weeks on. I had frequent BHs and then for about 10 days before delivering would have a peroid of timeable, intense contractions with menstrual cramp like pains in between for a few hours each night. They would start out really intense for 30-40 mins then slowly become less painful and space out. My most intense episode was 3 nights before delivery where I had very intense contractions every 4 mins for 2 hours. Just when we were going to call L&D, DS then woke up with a fever and when I climbed into our bed with him my contractions almost immediately spaced out and then stopped. I rarely had intense contractions during the day, but would have frequent BH with position changes and activity.

Labor:
On the night of 4/17 I had my usual couple of uncomfortable hours but when I got up 4/18 they seemed to hang around more into the morning. I got ready for my NST appt (for polyhydramnios) and had to stop to breathe through a few contractions. At my NST I talked to the nurse about the increase in my symptoms. She offered to check me and consider stripping my membranes if the NST showed them continuing. Over the 30mins NST I had 2-3 very large, intense contractions and lots of uterine irritability. I was 2cm dilated, but stretchy to 4cm and 50% effaced. She also noted that my bag was already bulging with contractions when she did my membrane sweep.

After the membrane sweep I was actually surprised that my contractions seemed to stop completely and decided to take advantage and took a 2hr nap when I got home. I woke up from my nap and the strong, irregular contractions were back. After DS went to sleep my contractions seemed more consistent. I started timing them around 8:20pm and they were all 4-5 mins apart. At 10:30pm I called L&D. Contractions were now every 3-4 mins. They told us to head in since it was a second baby. We dropped DS off and arrived at the hospital around 11:30pm. Interestingly, when we got DS up and drove him to our friends' my contractions spaced again, they immediately intensified once he was out of the car- so weird!

At 12pm they checked me and I was 5cm and 90% effaced so we were admitted. By 3:30 things got very intense. Contractions were every 60-90 seconds and I no longer was getting a nice break. I was checked and was 7cm and 100% effaced with a very bulging bag. I was worried that he was still high but couldn't cope with contractions alone anymore. I was very worried about LO being posterior and having trouble engaging, but couldn't cope any longer and got an epidural.

By water broke around 5:30am and then around 6:15am I felt intense pressure. The team came back in and I pushed through 3-4 contractions on my side with DH holding my top leg and the residents sitting on my bed. Liam was born easily with a loose nuchal cord and I pulled him on to my chest. It was amazing. We snuggled and nursed and did all the "normal" things that couldn't happen last time. It's been blissful recovering at home and snuggling my newborn instead of making a daily trek to the NICU. It was a very long, trying pregnancy, but in the end labor and delivery couldn't have been easier or more perfect. I feel so blessed to have had this experience.

Holy long post! Thanks for reading... cute baby pics as a reward
BFP#1 9/14/10 (EDD 5/21/11); no fetal pole 6w6d, 7w4d, d&c 10/8
BFP#2 3/16/11, beta 138; 4/12 Baby/HB DS born 9/10/11 at 29w4d due to partial abruption and PTL
Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
BFP#3 8/19/13 Another boy! 17P, modified bedrest and Nifedipine helped us have a termie! DS2 born 4/19/14 at 38w5d.

Re: XP Termie after preemie birth story (ehazie)

• Thanks for sharing your story! I've been on the weekly p17 shots as well as Procardia 4 times a day. I'm 32 weeks tomorrow after a preterm labor scare at 25 weeks, I've been on bedrest since.

I dealt with this also with my son from 28 weeks to 36 weeks.

You give me hope that I can have a full term baby!

DS #1 born January 2010. DS #2 due June 2014.

• @haziedaze‌, Liam is just precious!! I'm so glad you had a wonderful experience this time around. Hope you're doing well.
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Thank you for sharing. It is encouraging to see a positive story in the high-risk board! I hope I can have a term baby this time, even though the odds of it seem slim after having a 30 weeker. To be able to be in the hospital with your baby in your room after delivery, and then take him/her home a few days later, seems like a pipe dream. People take it for granted, but if it actually happens to me, I think I would be in shock from being so happy! Congratulations on your sweet boy!
  • @takmjs, it seemed like a pipe dream here too. DS1 was born at 29 weeks and my contractions started earlier this time. You just never know so its worth staying hopeful! Its been like a dream this time around. Wishing you lots of luck and a termie this time!

@tracint, thank you! Hoping you're adjusting well.
    BFP#1 9/14/10 (EDD 5/21/11); no fetal pole 6w6d, 7w4d, d&c 10/8
    BFP#2 3/16/11, beta 138; 4/12 Baby/HB DS born 9/10/11 at 29w4d due to partial abruption and PTL
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    BFP#3 8/19/13 Another boy! 17P, modified bedrest and Nifedipine helped us have a termie! DS2 born 4/19/14 at 38w5d.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"