Cloth Diapering

Let's speak honestly about wool

Now that my stash is finished (minus the wetbags and pail liners) I've taken to drooling over wool covers. 
I know some people use them for overnight absorbency and that you can't wash them like you do your diapers.

Is wool worth the investment in your opinion? How much extra work do you put into your wool?

Because OMG so cute

Re: Let's speak honestly about wool

• If the wool is quality, I totally love it. I'm sure a PUL cover would work just as well for us, but I love how breathable wool is. I wash and lanolize maybe once a month, but that takes about 15 minutes of actual hands-on time, so I don't really feel like I do anything special. The only time wool has been a pain is when G has had a crazy massive poo in one of his less-snug fitteds
    London Eye 
    Lilypie First Birthday tickersimage

• I love wool ON for its breathability, and it's also great for coverage over bulky ON fitteds.

I agree it's not that much work. I probably have been relanolizing every 4-6 weeks, but I may need to do more often now that I'm dealing with toddler pee.

I have a thread below regarding a bit of ammonia buildup in my Disana wool soaker, but my wool wash got delivered today so hopefully a good long soak will take care of that.
  • Loading the player...
  • Interesting, thanks guys. So you don't wash it after every use I take it? I'm just curious because if it soaks up the extra pee that leaks through the fitted/prefold/whatever I thought it should be washed after every wear, that doesn't seem to be the way it works though.

I am thinking I will wait to buy wool until I have my cloth diaper routine down pat and Little Man has already made his appearance, but I'm fairly certain I'll try it eventually.

I really like the dasana's too but didn't know if I should start with something less expensive or just jump on in. 

• Loved it for awhile. I first got them to help with leaks over disposables. They didn't really do well over cloth at night, but they were our nap time cover for quite some time. We took a break for awhile because she was getting rashes on her inner thighs. I'm not sure if it was from the wool or her BG 4.0. I haven't gotten around to lanolizing them again. Pull on covers are great to have durring the impossibly squirmy stage.
  • I went with Disana because they weren't as expensive as some others. I've also knitted a few. It takes a bit of trial and error to find a yarn and pattern that works well, though.

Lanolin and pee neutralize eachother. Eventually the lanolin gets used up and you have to relanolize.

I wouldn't bother with wool during the NB phase, especially if poo is likely to get on it. I would wait until LO starts to sleep for longer stretches and no longer poos at night. We occasionally have situations when poo gets on the cover, but those should be rare.
  • I love wool, all my cover are wool. I didn't have any problem for the newborn stage. The main trick for washing wool is the amount of lanolin and the water. They are expensive but,on the other hand you are never going to have any delaminates diapers. If you don't want to buy them you can make them. There's a pattern for the,and you can recycle any wool clothes the you can find on goodwill. The pattern names is Katrina.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • we rocked some wool overnight for a while. It worked well w my fitteds, but honestly I got sick of washing it. It wasn't hard or anything to do, but just a pain in the butt. So we switched back to our Kawaii GNHWs and never looked back. I think I should sell the one wool cover I have, but can't bring myself to just yet bc its so pretty!
    BabyFruit Ticker

• We have two wool Disana covers, but we stopped using them b/c DS1 was getting a rash on his inner thighs. I think it actually was a problem with ammonia building up in our ON fitteds, but I'm not sure. Since we switched to trifolded bamboo prefolds, I couldn't use the wool anymore and he has since outgrown those covers. I am keeping them for DS2 in case also goes the side-sleeping stage and needs wool and fitteds, but I won't invest in any additional wool (or fitteds for that matter).

• I am marginally talented at a few things, but unfortunately, sewing and knitting is not among the things I can do haha.

But, I appreciate the advice. I will definitely wait until after Newborn stage. and thanks for the link  @AFwifelife

• I love wool.  I have 4 sbish covers and we use them only overnight. I just lanolized 2 pairs yesterday and they will probably take another day or 2 to dry (that's the big downfall), but I only wash if there is poop or about every month or so (we rotate them to dry out). 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"