Stay at Home Moms
Options

Sorry guys- sleep help.

I hate posting about sleep. All kids are different and I know that but I just have to ask...

Z is on an 8a-8p schedule. I used to lay her down and she'd be asleep within 10-20 minutes max.

Now I lay her down at 8 and she doesn't fall asleep until  8:45 or 9! She stands, sings, throws her pacifier and blankets out onto the floor, talks to her babies, jumps, screams, pretty much everything except sleep.

She takes a bath every night. We read afterwards and then I rock her for 10-15 minutes before I lay her down. She has a sound machine and a fan.

What am I doing wrong here? Is she unwinding after her long day? Typical toddler? Do I need to push her bedtime up/back? Should I drop her nap?

If this is normal tell me to shut it and deal.

Re: Sorry guys- sleep help.

• Options
    Nope no crying. Just crazy baby.

Thanks ladies!

I don't know why I over think this so much.
  • Options
    Ugh, I'm dealing with this too. I can't see how old your LO is. Mine is 29 months.

I tried dropping the nap and to my absolute horror it seems to have solved the problem. I really wanted him to keep napping. He was only taking a nap if it was quite late in the day and then could not wind down to sleep until 9 or later. Now with no nap he is in a great mood all day most days and nods off easily by 7. I tried adding the nap back in yesterday and he was up forever at bedtime. I have a newborn too so it's really a bummer he's not napping but I also don't have unlimited availability to try to fix it because I'm dealing with the baby now too.

The bright side is that he is asleep so early so dh and I can have some time together.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Linnea503Linnea503 member
    edited April 2014
    Leftie22 said:

Linnea503 said:

Ugh, I'm dealing with this too. I can't see how old your LO is. Mine is 29 months.

I tried dropping the nap and to my absolute horror it seems to have solved the problem. I really wanted him to keep napping. He was only taking a nap if it was quite late in the day and then could not wind down to sleep until 9 or later. Now with no nap he is in a great mood all day most days and nods off easily by 7. I tried adding the nap back in yesterday and he was up forever at bedtime. I have a newborn too so it's really a bummer he's not napping but I also don't have unlimited availability to try to fix it because I'm dealing with the baby now too.

The bright side is that he is asleep so early so dh and I can have some time together.

Oh no! My DS is 28 months and sounds just like yours, and I'm not ready to ditch the nap! (I have a newborn, too.) Say it ain't so!
    ----
    I wish I had better news for you. I was really hoping losing the nap would somehow backfire, but no. It seems to be the best option right now.

My plan is to work hard at having the baby to bed by 7 as well so eventually I get my evening back. We'll see...
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I wouldn't drop the nap but just make sure she has enough wake up time between getting up from her nap and bedtime.  It's not like when they are infants that 2 or 3 hours of wake up time is sufficient before going back down.  You didn't mention what time she is getting up from her nap but just make sure it isn't going late into the afternoon.
  • Options

I wouldn't drop the nap but just make sure she has enough wake up time between getting up from her nap and bedtime.  It's not like when they are infants that 2 or 3 hours of wake up time is sufficient before going back down.  You didn't mention what time she is getting up from her nap but just make sure it isn't going late into the afternoon.

Absolutely! She is usually up at 2 or 3- depending. But not asleep until 9 or later! I just feel bad she's in her bed that long awake.

I remember as a kid going to bed in the summer & it was still light out. I would lie away for a bit. So yeah. She's not having a fit or crying. She's safe. She's dry. She's just unwinding. Haha

• Options
    I would shorten her nap by 15-20 min or put her down 20-30 min lAter. Or add in some extra outside activity time.
    Oh man, waking her from a nap sounds dangerous- maybe I'll try putting her down later.

And yes, we are outside from morning until nap then after nap until dinner. So maybe some after dinner outside time too?

Thank you!
  • Options

I seriously would let her be if she's content in her room. These things always straighten themselves out at least in my house. DD has gone through all sorts of sleep regressions. I have the most issue when I try to fix the issue.

I agree. When I go in & try to rock her more or lay her down it almost makes it worse. She's been doing this for 3 months or so now. I'm wanting it to end. Now!
  • Options

Sometimes little man does that. Just talks, sings, plays for a while. I have never thought to be worried about it or try to correct it.

I don't always fall asleep when I get into bed. Sometimes I can lay there for an hour and just "think"

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks everyone- appreciate it!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"