Attachment Parenting

Off topic, but crib attachment question for kid#1

Hello, our toddler will be 2.5 when #2 born. Currently, she sleeps great, and loves her bed. I bought a twin mattress and she cried when I brought it into her room.

I always thought we would upgrade #1 to a twin, and just reuse crib. Now I am not sure if #1 will adjust ok having crib move to #2's room.

Looking back, I wish I had bought a 4 in 1 crib since now I see her attached it would have been cool to just make it a twin. Anyway, #2 will be 3 months old before we move to his or her room. Should we just wait to see how DD#1 does when #2 needs a bed (#1 closer to 3-years old), or just splurge on a 4 in 1 new crib for baby #2 and take the financial loss; eventually sell crib #1.

Anyone else with very attached toddler to his or her things? Our girl has certain dolls, ways to be strapped into booster seat, routines, etc., that seem much more of a personality trait then I have seen in her peers.

Lastly, we are team green and don't know if they'll ever share a room, so it's also interesting to wonder if spending money on new crib is worth the attachment worry since if they share (eventually), then they'd need new beds anyway.

Sorry I am so wordy. I hope this makes sense. I know, champagne troubles, but I do worry about our 2-year old's experience with this transition. Thanks!!!

Re: Off topic, but crib attachment question for kid#1

• In situations like this where there are many variables and hypotheticals, I say...

1- Do what works now.

2- Don't solve "problems" until they are actually problematic.

Don't focus on rooms 2 years from now, or how attached DD will be in several months. All you can do now is work with the info you have. Maybe when the time is right you'll come across a free crib or a great alternative big bed on Craigslist, etc.

• Oh thank you. You are a voice of reason. It is easy for me to think 5 steps ahead and miss the moment. You are 100% right!!!

In situations like this where there are many variables and hypotheticals, I say...

1- Do what works now.

2- Don't solve "problems" until they are actually problematic.

Don't focus on rooms 2 years from now, or how attached DD will be in several months. All you can do now is work with the info you have. Maybe when the time is right you'll come across a free crib or a great alternative big bed on Craigslist, etc.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"