Food Allergy

Need advice - twins (one with possible food intolerance)

My twins are 4 1/2 months. Harper has been congested since she was 2 weeks old. She also has eczema outbreaks and refux (she's on Zantac). Nicole has no symptoms of any of what Harper has. I am pumping/nursing still. At their 4 month appointment our Pedi gave me a sample of Nutramigen to try for Harper for a week to see if it clears up her congestion. Problem is, she wont drink it unless it is aboy 60/40 (breastmilk/formula). I gave a dairy free diet a try for a week but I started losing my milk supply (I wasn't eating enough).

I'd like to give the hypoallergenic formula a good try for a week and see if that clears up her congestion but she wont drink it. Any advice? I'd like to keep pumping/nursing since my supply is still good, but cutting out dairy really hit my supply hard last week and we had to dip into our freezer stash (which Harper can't drink since it has dairy in it).

Ugh! I just don't know what to do. Help.

Re: Need advice - twins (one with possible food intolerance)

• I'm sorry. My twins were about 3-4 months when our pedi had us try soy formula and then alimentum. One had a lot of eczema and some congestion; the other had mild eczema. For both of them we didn't notice any difference on the other formulas so we went back to Nestle GoodStart. They did both later turn out to have allergies and the first one I mentioned has asthma now. My boys didn't like the taste of alimentum but after a feeding or two they would drink it. They were hungry and it was what we were offering them so they kind of got used to it. I'd keep trying for a few days and see. Good luck; I know trying to figure out allergies and intolerances can be tough and frustrating, especially in babies.
    fraternal twin boys born january 2009
  • Thanks @macchiatto. We're two days in of her actually eating solely the Nutramigen. We're going to give it a week and see if we see any change. I'm still pumping (actually I froze 16 ounces yesterday). I'm on the fence about continuing pumping (oh my gosh does it take up all my freakin time). Hoping it makes her feel better.

• Loading the player...
  • So glad she's eating it! Let us know how things go.
    And I hear you on the pumping. I only lasted a month with BF/pumping with twins. (I had health issues of my own that really complicated it.)
    fraternal twin boys born january 2009
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"