August 2014 Moms
Options

epidural discussion

edited April 2014 in August 2014 Moms

So here is something you don't hear everyday...my sister and I were born conjoined twins, connected at our lower spine. We were separated at 6 days old and have had normal lives. She has a 4 year old boy and this is my first. When she was pregnant, she had concerns about an epidural, and in the end was able to get one.

So I knew that this would be one of my first questions on the list for my doctor. Keeping in mind that my scar was always worse than my twins. Well today was my consultation with the anesthesiologist. He told me that the epidural would be difficult, but it could be done. But he was not convincing. He said that I would need to get the epidural higher up than normal. He also told me that he was the only anesthesiologist at the hospital that would be comfortable to perform such an epidural. I could opt for a C-section with a spinal tap....but not sure what to do... I do not want to have an all natural birth.

Has anyone had a complication similar to this? Any opinions would help...

Pregnancy Ticker

Re: epidural discussion

• Options
    No similar experience but I wanted to wish you good luck! I would maybe talk about this with your ob and find out his/her recommendations?
                    We're Going to be a Family of 5!

Lilypie - (PaHE) Lilypie - (4noI)

Lilypie - (2q9u)

• Options

Thank you :)

He said no one else would feel comfortable to do this. MH also wondered how comfortable he was in doing it and how much experience he had in it. All good questions to ask next week....

Pregnancy Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I will echo everyone else and get another opinion, and find out what happens if you deliver when that specific anesthesiologist isn't at the hospital.  Would I strongly consider a spinal and c-section?  Absolutely. 

• Options

I agree with the PP who said there are other pain management options other than just epidurals.  They won't take the pain away completely, but there are other options.  Did the doctor mention this at all? 

son#1 born 6/2010

son#2 born 4/2012

son#3 born 7/2014

• Options
    Valancyy said:

I agree with the PP who said there are other pain management options other than just epidurals.  They won't take the pain away completely, but there are other options.  Did the doctor mention this at all? 

The doctor did not mention any other pain regimens. I do have a dr. appointment next week and my regular chiropractor appointment next week as well. I will need to do more research on this.
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    ginny5683, thanks for sharing...b/c my fear is that something bad will happen. I know I shouldn't, but I always go to worse case scenario!

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    You can get iv drugs. They take the edge off but you still feel some intense contractions. I have scoliosis and the anesthesiologist struggled to get my epi placed. Once he did (I don't know if it was higher or not) I ended up having to lay on one side because that side was getting no meds. It all worked out eventually only thing was it took longer for the side that got meds to wear off.

It might be worth it to take a pain management class just so you know your options. Mine wasn't full blown Lamaze, but they do teach you some breathing techniques and rubs your dh or whoever will be with you can do that help full back labor and everything. Everyone in my class was planning on getting an epi. They also told us about epi policies. Mine will give it whenever. You don't have to reach a certain dilation or anything.

photo 63d081b2-beb9-4486-ae4e-de648860b72c_zpsa8e37ee8.jpg Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    I've never had an epi. I'm a wuss, and afraid of the needle. :( Have you researched IV meds? This is the route I go. I'd take that over a c/s any day. (Not that there's a problem with c/s- but not a fan of the recovery.)
    I didn't really know that there was an option for IV meds. Can you tell me briefly about them...and did you find them to be helpful, or could you still feel everything! I would like to do natural birth v c-section.
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    @funnibunni80, thank you so much! This is a good alternative! I will be sure to ask my doctor about it.
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    I did both IV -and- the epi with my son.

The Demerol they gave me, went through my system like water.  NO effect.
    The Stadol, however, worked for a good, long while.

Really though, when you're admitted, they should give you an IV which they can administer the drugs through.  The problem, as it was in my case, until you've tried the drugs, you have no clue if they'll work or not.  My original plan was to stick to IV drugs and skip the epi.

Except, in my own personal case, I had HORRIBLE hot spots across my belly that I just could NOT push through.

My attending nurse was also my Lamaze coach, and she knew I was scared of the epi.  Eventually though, between her gentle convincing and some of the other nurses talking to me, I finally agreed.

Except I was moving in to hard labor by that point, and my anesthesiologist was a dick.  He did eventually get it placed, but he said I was right on the cusp of him being unable to give it to me since I could barely hold still.

I think all of the advice you've received is very good.  I hope your doctor can offer additional input that will make the process easier for you.

GOOD LUCK!!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Proud Mother to 16 year old Austin (MCJROTC Sgt., Trumpet playing "Band Nerd" and hopeful Air Force Pilot!)
    Proud Stepmother to 12 year old Josh (Baseball playing, Saxophone playing "Band Nerd" and hopeful Doctor!)
    Proud Mother to baby Kaylee (Stuffed toy playing, Adorable smiling baby and hopeful Rodeo Princess!)

• Options

I had Stadol with my 1st (or else it was Demerol....I can't remember!).  I was already 8 cm when I got it (very very fast labor...I arrived at 8 cm).  They gave me one dose through the IV.  I felt like I was drunk. I still felt the contractions, but I just didn't care as much.  I definitely didn't have all the effects @funnibunni80 talks about!  It wore off pretty quickly, and then it was time to push.  Which I did for 3 hours....

With my 2nd I went so fast I didn't have time for any meds at all.  So that one was med-free. 

I know with my 2nd my DH told them I had Stadol or whatever with my 1st, but they didn't offer it anymore.  So...always check because I guess policies change. 

In the UK they offer "gas and air"  (nitrous oxide).  You self-administer it as you need it.  I wish they had this in the US, but I guess only about 3 hospitals in the US offer it.  I think I would like that, it's supposed to take the edge off but leaves your system pretty much instantly. 

son#1 born 6/2010

son#2 born 4/2012

son#3 born 7/2014

• Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options
    Thanks ladies for all of the information. Guess I didnt put much thought in my "birth plan"...but I guess I was wrong on that. Time to do more research!
    Pregnancy Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"