Toddlers: 24 Months+
Options

Potty Rings

I am coming over from the 12-24 month toddler board to ask a few questions for those of you who have potty trained and used a potty ring for it. 

What did you find the pros and cons of using a potty ring? I really don't want to be cleaning out a little potty and DS loves the big toilet so I am really hoping he will take to it easily when it comes time to potty train in about a month or two.

Which potty ring do you use and does it work well (easily placed, doesn't move around too much)? Do you take it with you when you have to go out or how do you handle trips out? 

Anything else I should consider with a potty ring? 

TIA! 
Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
Me: 38 DH: 36
Married 8/27/2011
BFP #1 9/28/2011 DS born 5/22/2012
BFP #2 4/24/2013 m/c 4/25/2013 at 4w
BFP #3 1/31/2014 DD born 10/14/2014
BFP #4 1/20/2016 m/c 2/12/2014 at 7w2d
BFP #5 8/19/2016 DS2 born 4/29/2017
BFP #6 3/7/2018 EDD 11/18/2018

Re: Potty Rings

• Options

we used a potty ring only (no separate potty) for DD.  She needed help for awhile even with a stool but that's not really a big deal.  And that's the only negative I can think of.  We have

https://www.amazon.com/Prince-Lionheart-weePOD-Basix-Berry/dp/B005ZBI03I/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1398125791&sr=8-7&keywords=potty+seat

The only negative is it doesn't have handles.  But it sticks easily to the potty (no sliding about) and is very easy to clean.  Some of the others smell like pee no matter what because pee leaks inside of it.  Good luck.

• Options
    We're using a potty ring for the same reasons you mentioned - not wanting to clean out a small potty, and also because that way they're already using the big potty, no middle transitions.

The only cons I've seen mentioned is that your child actually has to go use the toilet in the bathroom, instead of having it in whatever room you're most often in.  And since most kids don't want to stop what they're doing, that can be an impediment to training.  For me, I want him to get used to stopping and using the restroom, since there won't always be a little potty around, so I'm okay with that.

We have the Bjorn potty seat and I really like it.  It's very easy to use, hangs nicely when not in use, wipes down easily, and can travel well.
    June '15 January Siggy Challenge.  Pinterest Fails

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    We have the Bjorn seat and like it a lot.  DD told me she likes it better than her Grandparent's seat because it doesn't slide around.

When we go out we bring the Pottette Plus.  We use it for emergency situations, like if we are at the park or something, it's just a little folding potty that can fit under a stroller or a larger diaper bag.  I guess the 'Plus' version can also fit to a regular toilet seat, but we have never tried because DD doesn't have a problem using public bathrooms.
  • Options
    Not sure what brand we ended up with- it was just a cheap Elmo ring at Target. It served its purpose, fit in a backpack for outings, but for whatever reason the hard plastic bottom actually scratched our toilet seat. Not a huge deal b/c they can be replaced, but just something I thought I would mention.
    imageimage
  • Options
    I hoped to avoid the kid potty for the same reasons as you, but ended up getting one anyway. My daughter was trained at 22 months at home, but wanted to do everything independently and does not tolerate being prompted to go and will not tell me if she has to go, so the big toilet just wasn't going to work. But she goes to the little potty 100% on her own and I got to quit buying diapers before her 2nd birthday, so I've made peace with the pink plastic potty in my living room. IMO be flexible, especially if you're starting young.
    baby girl  5.12
  • Options
    We have a potty chair and it was nice because when we were starting out, DD would sit on it when I went to the bathroom. But now she's more interested in the big potty, so we bought a potty seat (Prince Lionheart Wee Pod) and she uses that.

1 miracle Earth baby and 5 Angel babies

~All welcome~

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"