August 2014 Moms

Cord blood/stem cell banking?

I'll admit, I've done very little research on this topic.  I need to do more.  At my 24 wk appointment yesterday my OB said that for the 28 wk appointment we'll get to watch a video and discuss our questions with her.

I know that I need to research the uses, benefits, etc. to know if it is worth it to us, but are there any specific questions I should ask about the bank?  She gave me a form with the breakdown of costs so I assume that cost is associated with a specific bank...  but from what I've read there are multiple private banks out there.

I have a genetic blood disorder that my husband isn't a carrier of, so most likely LO won't have any issues...  but I know for sure I'd like to find out how saving her cord blood might help if she ends up with it too somehow.
Anniversary Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Cord blood/stem cell banking?

• I plan on asking my doctor some questions on it today. I will post some info after my appointment.
  • One thing I would ask specifically is about whether you can use cord blood from that baby for his/her own genetic disorder.  I remember reading (from 3 years ago with my first) that if the child suffers from a genetic disorder, their own cord blood can not be used to help, but perhaps a siblings could.  I am in no way an expert but I would recommend making sure you completely understand how the cord blood can be used and for what.  It was this fact that helped me decide to just donate. 
  • Loading the player...
  • I posted about this last week. Here is a link. Hope it helps!

https://forums.thebump.com/discussion/12321750/cord-blood-banking#latest
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Thanks for the link!  I've read a few sites that say cord blood banking/donating and delayed clamping are not mutually exclusive so I'll definitely need to ask my doctor about that.
    Anniversary Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"