January 2014 Moms

Nap schedule?

I find at 3.5 months my son is doing great with night time sleep in his crib, only waking up once per night to eat but his day time naps stink. He can't make it past 40-60 minutes in his crib but if he is in the stroller he will sleep for hours.... any advice?
LilySlim Weight loss tickers

Re: Nap schedule?

• precious72381precious72381 member
    edited April 2014
    What's a nap?
    At least that is what Abby asks. She too sleeps better on me. She only gets 20 minutes max when I put her down for a nap. She is 14w tomorrow.

I'm 33 DH is 36 
    Married 6/27/2009 Together since 10/22/2005
    TTC since 8/2010 (off BCP since 8/2009) 
    Unexplained Infertility
    8/2011, 1/2012, 3/2012 IUI #1-3 BFN 
    6/2012 IVF#1 BFN, 8/2012 IVF#2 FET BFN, 11/2012 IVF#3 BFP
    12/10/2012 U/S #1 6w4d - heartbeat  EDD 8/1/13 
    12/26/2012 U/S #2 8w6d - No more heartbeat, MMC; D&C; Chromosome testing normal; male :( RPL testing normal 
    4/3/2013 DX Asherman's Syndrome caused by D&C, hysteroscopy done
    June 2013 IVF #4 planned 
    5/12/2013 SURPRISE BFP! Natural cycle 
    7/11/2013 Panorama results Normal!!! Team Pink, partial previa moved up in 2nd tri9/5/13 (19w) AS scan shows short cervix, 2.5 cm 9/19 (21w)  Cervix is worse 1.87cm, bed rest 10/26 & 10/27 steroid shots 12/19 (35w) DX: SGA Baby went from 57% percentile to 18th percentile in 6 weeks. Weekly BPP and NST until she is here. 1/17/18 Growth scan puts Abby below 10th percent in size, low amniotic fluid, and less movement. Time to induce!
    1/18/14 2:11am Abigial Morgan is here! 5lbs 14oz and 18 inches of pure cuteness!!!

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I find at 3.5 months my son is doing great with night time sleep in his crib, only waking up once per night to eat but his day time naps stink. He can't make it past 40-60 minutes in his crib but if he is in the stroller he will sleep for hours.... any advice?

I could write this post to a tee.
    BFP #1 (7/13/12) MC (8/14) 9 weeks. D & C 8/17.
    BFP #2 (5/18/13) due 1/26/14. Grow baby grow!
    Its a surprise! Team green!

• Loading the player...
  • No advice. We can't even make it past 40 min in a swing for a nap, so I don't know if I should even suggest trying that.
    photo e2fe0839-b11a-41d8-8a07-1ef481a55d67_zpsda9c0f6f.jpg photo 777c55cb-e377-4070-950b-fdeda172a809_zpscd40251a.jpg IMG_15901 photo IMG_15901.jpg
  • No advice. What works for mine doesn't mean it'll work for yours.

Mine are in their cribs for 2 hours in the afternoon whether they're asleep or not!
  • I'm in the same boat as well. My baby does NOT like taking naps during the day.

Married June 2010.
    DD born 1/13 via Csection at 41w5d after 47 hours of labor

• Mine only naps on me or in her swing since she has gas still. She lasts maybe 5-15 minutes in the crib for naps because the poor thing is scrunching and rolling all over the crib.
  • Nice to know I'm not the only one with a LO that doesn't nap much in the day. She does STTN though so I don't want to complain. In the day she will only sleep on someone or sometimes in her stroller when we go walking. I guess I'll just have to start putting her down in her crib or playpen and hope she eventually starts to nap there. @babywinks‌ - you mentioned you keep trying to lay your LO down. If he doesn't nap long like that do you end up picking him up and letting him nap longer on you? I'm just concerned when I lay her down and it only lasts 5-10 mins she'll start getting overtired if I don't then let her sleep on me.
  • Nice to know I'm not the only one with a LO that doesn't nap much in the day. She does STTN though so I don't want to complain. In the day she will only sleep on someone or sometimes in her stroller when we go walking. I guess I'll just have to start putting her down in her crib or playpen and hope she eventually starts to nap there. @babywinks‌ - you mentioned you keep trying to lay your LO down. If he doesn't nap long like that do you end up picking him up and letting him nap longer on you? I'm just concerned when I lay her down and it only lasts 5-10 mins she'll start getting overtired if I don't then let her sleep on me.
    Complain away. I used to feel guilty about complaining about this, but honestly now I think it's a totally legitimate complaint! Because when they don't nap, they get tired. Then they get over tired. Then they are cranky and fussy, and who wants to deal with that?
    photo e2fe0839-b11a-41d8-8a07-1ef481a55d67_zpsda9c0f6f.jpg photo 777c55cb-e377-4070-950b-fdeda172a809_zpscd40251a.jpg IMG_15901 photo IMG_15901.jpg
  • bnikbnik member
    I I think I wrote this post. Haha.
  • SJSLASJSLA member
    DD is almost 12w and is sttn in her crib. During the day she does a late morning 3 hour nap then an afternoon 2 hour nap in her swing. I try to always feed and put her down with no more than a two hour wake time (3 max). She refuses to nap in her crib unfortunately :( have you tried napping in the swing? Sometimes to help I have her half swaddled in the swing.
    --------------
    "Practice any art, music, singing, dancing, acting, drawing, painting, sculpting, poetry, fiction, essays, reportage, no matter how well or badly, not to get money and fame, but to experience becoming, to find out what's inside you, to make your soul grow." --Kurt Vonnegut
  • Are you still swaddling? DD can't nap for more than 30 minutes without being swaddled or some place super cozy. She'll be 14 weeks tomorrow. We usually get a 3 hour nap and a two hour nap during the day and before bedtime I put her in the swing unswaddled for a quick catnap before bath time. 

Also, when she IS swaddled and she wakes up before 1.5hrs, often times she's not really ready to be awake. I'll pick her up and try to rock her back to sleep. If her eyes get heavy again, then she needs more time to sleep and I'll do my best to get her back down. Every once in awhile, she is not having it and I give up and try again in another hour. 
  • I could have written this as well. Adam will only sleep for 30-45 max during his naps. He's not sleeping in the crib but in his RNP. @tootscott do your babies cry and fuss when their in their cribs or do they just play and hang out?
    Anniversary

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • We get one long nap per day plus two or three 45 minute naps. Which nap is the long nap is a crapshoot but it usually lasts 2.5-3 hours so I can't complain. I put him down after 1.5hrs of wake time and it works well. I swaddle for all naps and they're in his crib (or sometimes the stroller). He won't nap in the swing or on the go much anymore. Even the stroller isn't sure fire.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

• cnctfcnctf member
    What's a nap? At least that is what Abby asks. She too sleeps better on me. She only gets 20 minutes max when I put her down for a nap. She is 14w tomorrow.
    This is exactly me!
    image=
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Gosh I thought it was just me with this issue.. LO sleeps in her RnP at night & sleeps for at least 7 hours at a time. During the day is a completely different story! If I put her down I am lucky to get a 30 minute nap but if I let her sleep on me it's an easy 2-3 hours! I'm sure I've "spoiled" her but honestly I'd rather have a spoiled happy baby vs a cranky sleep deprived baby.
  • PHXmom2be said:

Charlotte naps in her swing, on me, in her car seat when we're out.... Pretty much anywhere but the crib.

This for me, too! Stella does several short naps (30-60mins) and one long nap each day.

• Article about short naps. I like the website. A few of you have shared different links with me and I think this is good to read with our difficult nappers. https://www.troublesometots.com/your-nemesis-the-short-nap/

I'm 33 DH is 36 
    Married 6/27/2009 Together since 10/22/2005
    TTC since 8/2010 (off BCP since 8/2009) 
    Unexplained Infertility
    8/2011, 1/2012, 3/2012 IUI #1-3 BFN 
    6/2012 IVF#1 BFN, 8/2012 IVF#2 FET BFN, 11/2012 IVF#3 BFP
    12/10/2012 U/S #1 6w4d - heartbeat  EDD 8/1/13 
    12/26/2012 U/S #2 8w6d - No more heartbeat, MMC; D&C; Chromosome testing normal; male :( RPL testing normal 
    4/3/2013 DX Asherman's Syndrome caused by D&C, hysteroscopy done
    June 2013 IVF #4 planned 
    5/12/2013 SURPRISE BFP! Natural cycle 
    7/11/2013 Panorama results Normal!!! Team Pink, partial previa moved up in 2nd tri9/5/13 (19w) AS scan shows short cervix, 2.5 cm 9/19 (21w)  Cervix is worse 1.87cm, bed rest 10/26 & 10/27 steroid shots 12/19 (35w) DX: SGA Baby went from 57% percentile to 18th percentile in 6 weeks. Weekly BPP and NST until she is here. 1/17/18 Growth scan puts Abby below 10th percent in size, low amniotic fluid, and less movement. Time to induce!
    1/18/14 2:11am Abigial Morgan is here! 5lbs 14oz and 18 inches of pure cuteness!!!

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

• I was JUST about to post almost the same question! DD used to take a pretty long nap (anywhere from 1.5-3 hrs) in the middle of the day, plus a shorter nap mid morning and mid/late afternoon, but lately it's morphed into 4 or even 5 short naps of anywhere from 15 to 40 minutes throughout the day. We're definitely finding she's having a harder time falling asleep at night than she used to and I'm really trying to get some routines established to make it easier. I can't help but feel that part of it is that she's overtired from not getting a good long nap in during the day. Does anyone have suggestions for how to get them to sleep longer, or to fall back asleep if they've woken up too soon?I've tried swaddling and putting her down in her crib in her room (which we've darkened with garbage bags over the windows) but even with that she still only lasted 30 minutes.   
  • Have you tried laying your LO down to sleep IN the stroller during the day? That is the only place DS will sleep, other than his bassinet. I put him in and the roll the stroller back and forth. I also put the stroller in the entryway of the house, since it's darker and quieter there. Sometimes it takes 15 minutes for him to fall asleep, but he usually sleeps 30 minutes or so. Once in awhile he'll sleep for an hour. It's not a whole lot of time, but it's better than NO sleep during the day, and therefore no sleep at night either!
    imageimageimage
    Tino--Already 4 months old!

• I know this isn't AAP/sids approved, I'm comfortable with the risk, but I'm not saying it's for everyone.

For naps where I check on her a lot, I'll cuddle a beany-stuffy up against her so she feels like there's still someone there. It usually give me a much longer nap. I make sure it doesn't come up past her armpits. Since it's a turtle the beans are in the limbs, I set it head down so that one arm and one leg rest over her hips and legs. It's been doing the trick for us lately, but then again once I think I have her figured out, it changes.

bfp#1-10/29/12,EDD: 7/3/13. nothing found @ 1st u/s, natural mc 12/10/12. "Bean"

bfp#2-5/10/13! EDD: 1/18/14. "Peanut" Arrived 1/13/14. Diagnosed with Cystic Fibrosis

bfp#3- 9/26/14. EDD: 5/7/15. no heartbeat found @ 1st u/s, natural mc 10/23/14. "Little Bug"

**Psalm 139:16**

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"