Maryland Babies

NBR: moving to Baltimore

Hello ladies my family is moving to Baltimore in June so I can take a job at UMMC. I would like to live within walking distance of the hospital to save on parking, gas, not to mention long drives home after a night on call. My husband is concerned about safety, both of me walking, and the area in general for us and our 21 month old. Is the area around the hospital safe? Are some neighborhoods there better than others? I've basically just been checking out rentals on Craigslist, but obviously don't have any idea hoe safe these places are. Any advice is helpful!

Re: NBR: moving to Baltimore

• What about Federal Hill? It looks like there's a fair number of people on here that live in that area.
  • singingirl96singingirl96 member
    edited February 2014
    Yeah, you don't want to live near the hospitals.  That area of Baltimore is bad news.

Since you're raising children, I feel your best bet is living in Baltimore County and commuting in.  You can live close and have a short commute.  I live in Catonsville, just outside the city and can get to UMMC within 10-20 minutes.  So that's something to think about.

Federal Hill isn't bad, but it is more geared toward singles, not families.
    Me: 36 (Endo) DH: 39 (Azoo)
    5 DIUI - BFN
    IVF#1 - BFP - AJ 7/12
    FET#1 - BFP Due 7/24/14
    imageimage
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
    image imageimageimageimage
  • Loading the player...
  • I personally wouldn't live around the hospital or walk to or from work at night.  We live in a "nice" part of Baltimore and crime is only getting worse.  We are looking to move out of the city ourselves.
  • Problem is that we only have one car, can't afford another, and DH will work in Columbia. It would be a real stretch for us to live outside the city unless it was RIGHT on a bus route that could pick me up by 6am.
  • I work about 1 block from the hospital, and it is not a good neighborhood to live in.  There are several public transportation options in this area - Metro, Light Rail, Buses - that would allow you to expand your search for a rental into different parts of Baltimore City and Baltimore County. Good luck!
  • I would not consider that area safe for walking at night and also not a very desirable location for a family. Depending on your schedule you could consider taking the MARC train from Camden station. That would be a 5 block walk to UMMC. The Camden line train is safe and for the mostly only job commuters. There is a station near Columbia/Elkridge Md called Dorsey if you decided to live in that area near where your husband will be working. The only issue is the Camden line train only runs about 7 times a day so you are limited with the timing of catching the train. 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • It seems there is also an employee shuttle. So it looks like there are a lot of public transportation options all over the city.

So basically, there is absolutely no neighborhood downtown that anyone would live in? I mean, is everything inside the beltway just that awful? There are so many luxury condos and apartments I'm coming across that I find it hard to believe that the crime is that terrible in every neighborhood.
  • bloverde said:
    It seems there is also an employee shuttle. So it looks like there are a lot of public transportation options all over the city. So basically, there is absolutely no neighborhood downtown that anyone would live in? I mean, is everything inside the beltway just that awful? There are so many luxury condos and apartments I'm coming across that I find it hard to believe that the crime is that terrible in every neighborhood.
    Well, we all live here and we're telling you it's bad.  So suit yourself and see what you think.

If I were you I'd live in Columbia since you need to be close to one of your jobs and you only have one car.  Columbia is a wonderful location for families.  Lost of parks, pools, restaurants, stores... etc.  Not to mention less traffic and crime.  Howard county schools are also one of the best in the nation.  So I would certainly consider moving there.  Your husband could take the bus since there are many Columbia bus lines, and you could commute into the city.  Traffic is not that horrible especially since I'm assuming you're not working 9-5, right?  The commute would be about 30-40 minutes, which in this area is not hateful.
    If you could afford another car, you could consider living in Catonsville/Arbutus area.  Cost of living and gas prices are better here and you'd be exactly in between both jobs making your commutes about 20 minutes each.  Schools in Baltimore County are ok, not as good as Howard, but certainly better than Baltimore City.  So these are all things to consider.

There is also a Marc Train station in Arbutus/Halethorpe where you could take the train into the city from... and your husband's commute would be around 20 minutes. 
    However, I'd also like to add that the trains and lightrail cars ARE NOT very safe either.  I'm assuming you'll be leaving work during late nights, and I would not want to be in a lightrail station waiting for the train by myself at night... You really should drive.  The parking garage is conveniently located and it is your very best bet.

Good luck in your decision.  I'm sure it's not an easy one.  But as locals, we have given you lots of great advice, so take it or leave it. 

Overall, your very best bet is living in Columbia.
    Me: 36 (Endo) DH: 39 (Azoo)
    5 DIUI - BFN
    IVF#1 - BFP - AJ 7/12
    FET#1 - BFP Due 7/24/14
    imageimage
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
    image imageimageimageimage
  • Well crap. LOL Columbia looks expensive to say the least. I guess we will all be cramming into a one bedroom.
  • I wouldn't work right near the hospital because like PPs said it's not safe, but don't rule out the city entirely yet.

There a a nice apartment building in Mt. Vernon downtown called Gallery Towers. DH and I almost got an apartment there at one point. Great amenities, doorman building etc and it wasn't in the price range of the luxury apartments. Definitely worth checking out.

Locust point is also a neighborhood worth checking out (in the city). Up and coming, family friendly, near Federal hill. I would personally avoid Federal hill neighborhood because you will have loud drunk ppl wandering your streets every weekend going to all the bars. And there is NO parking.

If you are into culture and city life, the Hampden neighborhood is cute and you could rent a row house for the price of a downtown apartment. Definitely family friendly, too!

Hope this helps a bit!
  • I don't live in Baltimore any more but this is a great resource for families who do or are thinking about the area-
    https://www.dbfam.org/
  • Baltimore isn't at terrible as everyone says, just be smart.

Although I agree that you don't want to live right next to UMMC.

Look at these neighborhoods:
    Federal Hill
    Locust Point
    Charles Village
    Remington
    Hamden
    Roland Park
    Woodberry

Other than the first two, the rest are in the northern part of the city, but you can get downtown using the bus or a cheap cab/uber.

BabyFruit Ticker
    BabyFetus Ticker

• There are pockets in the city that are safer than others. I love loving in Columbia, but you have to search for a great place. We bought our house here and are paying only a tiny bit more than we did renting a townhouse here. Research any area you are looking at and check out the crime stats to be on the safe side no matter where you move.
  • So where do people look for listings? The last 4 places I've lived, I've used Craigslist. But it doesn't seem as fruitful as other cities. We tend to like independent landlords instead of management companies, and all the other rental websites just list apartment complexes.
  • Hi! I work at the VA (attached to UMMC). There are a lot of people who take the light rail down from Hamden area? the light rail is pretty handy for coming in from the north. Just make sure you get eyes on things in person to tell if it is safe enough for you. I live downtown in a high rise about a mile from hospital and walk to work but I would not walk around at night...
  • Baltimore isn't at terrible as everyone says, just be smart.

Although I agree that you don't want to live right next to UMMC.

Look at these neighborhoods:
    Federal Hill
    Locust Point
    Charles Village
    Remington
    Hamden
    Roland Park
    Woodberry

Other than the first two, the rest are in the northern part of the city, but you can get downtown using the bus or a cheap cab/uber.

I would take Remington and Charles village off the list...and yes you should be the one with the car
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We have two sets of friends that have children that live in the city, one in Canton (like 2 blocks off the square) and the other (who just moved last week to the burbs) in Locust Point.  What everyone has said is true, right around the hospital is not a good area, but if there is the option of an employee shuttle the other areas the above poster mentioned are worth a look. 
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • lks18lks18 member
    edited April 2014
    We lived in Federal Hill for two years pre-baby. Now that we're expecting twins we wanted a larger place and you get more for your money in Locust Point. Federal Hill is nice but depending on where you live there can be loud partiers walking between bars and parking is a pain if you're trying to park past 5:30 pm. Locust Point is (I've heard) the 4th safest urban neighborhood in America. It's a Peninsula so there just aren't that many ways in or out. It's close to 95 so that makes it easier for my husband to commute to Columbia. Parking isn't difficult. It's mostly row homes, so still not large homes by suburban standards but better value than Federal Hill. There are lots of families here and people keep their eye on what's going on. Since we're still renting and not worrying about school quality for several more years this is a nice, safe, urban neighborhood. Cheaper than Howard County.

ETA: my friend with a baby lives in Little Italy and loves it. Parking can be difficult sometimes but usually it's ok and neighbors keep their eye on what's going on. A bit of a trek to 95, though.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Thanks! We discovered Locust Point and decided we would like to live there or the lower portion of Federal Hill, near the park. How are you looking for places to rent? I'm still having trouble finding places.
  • MrsDLMrsDL member

DH and I used to live in Federal Hill - we met there - we lived in the area individually and then together - near Riverside Park (there are two parks) right below Locust Point. We liked it. 

If I recall -these were two sites we looked for places back when we rented

https://www.newspaper-marketplace.com/baltimore-md

https://livebaltimore.com/buying-renting/ 

I know DH found one of his places through Long and Foster in Federal Hill. Also, if you can visit the area and just walk, lots of people just put "for rent" signs on a house or window without advertising as it's a pretty popular place to live and advertising isn't necessarily needed. Volume usually decreases quickly on rentals in the spring as college kids graduate and move out on their own, so now is the time to look for sure.

• bloverde said:
    So where do people look for listings? The last 4 places I've lived, I've used Craigslist. But it doesn't seem as fruitful as other cities. We tend to like independent landlords instead of management companies, and all the other rental websites just list apartment complexes.
    Word of mouth is how DH and I found our place. Do you have any friends in the area, coworkers, etc., who can put the word out for you? 

• Hi! A little late to the convo, but I lived in Mt Vernon and loved it. Federal Hill and Hamden are good too!!
    BabyFetus Ticker

Married DH May 2011
    BFP #1 - 3.28.14
    EDD - 12.10.14

• lks18lks18 member
    @bloverde‌ We had used Craigslist to find both places we've lived in Baltimore (first in Federal Hill, then in Locust Point). I also looked on zillow. Otterbein is also a nice area (and close to areas you've been looking, like near Federal Hill Park... These two areas will probably be a little pricier and parking at night will be an issue but nice areas nonetheless). I think all of the areas you're looking are high owner occupancy areas, so that's why you may not see a ton of rental listings. So you have to take your time and be patient but I am sure you'll find something nice for your family.
  • So Otterbein is ok? Because I thought that would be included in the area to avoid around the hospital.
  • lks18lks18 member
    Yes, Otterbein is good. Very green and leafy, mellow. Close to the light rail, so there is noise but there is also some convenience there too. We considered it but Locust Point was more affordable for us and the parking issue, but depending on your budget I'm sure you could find a nice place in Otterbein.
  • Now I'm all confused. Maybe I should have been more specific with areas of the city to avoid and which are ok. Because I would call Otterbein "around the hospital."
  • So...Pigtown? Hollins Market? Lexington Terrace? Poppleton? Ridgely's Delight? These are all places I would say are around the hospital.
  • lks18lks18 member
    I would say Otterbein is fine, Ridgely's delight is a maybe, the other areas you mentioned in your last post are a no (for me). We considered a place in Ridgely's delight when we first came to Baltimore but decided against it because of proximity to the football Stadium and friends of ours with more experience in Baltimore said they knew families who ultimately ended up moving to Fed Hill from RD because FH was more family friendly.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"