August 2014 Moms
Options

Newborn Must Haves

The user and all related content has been deleted.

Re: Newborn Must Haves

• Options
    edited April 2014
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    DH got me a Kindle shortly after DS1 was born and it was a lifesaver with a kid who wouldn't sleep anywhere but on me.  One can only watch so much tv.  Then I discovered how much Finn loved the swing and that was our #1 newborn must have for the next several months.

A husband willing to deal with the umbilical cord stump and diapers while on paternity leave is another of my must haves.  Other than that it's all just trial and error to see what helps give you 2 seconds of peace.

• Options
    Get the Rx nipple ointment!!!!!!!!!!!!

Your OB will give you a Rx.  Best. Stuff. Ever.

There's really nothing 'special' you need.  Diapers, wipes, onsies, burp clothes, drawer for baby to sleep in.
    Married April 12
    DD June 13
    #2 EDD 8/8/14 - DS July 14
    2 Furry Kids - 
    Rosco: The most awesome pug ever.
    Pumpkin: The most non-catlike cat ever.  
  • Options
    For baby:
    Diapers/Wipes
    A place to sleep
    Onesies/ Sleepers
    Formula or Breastmilk
    Bottles
    Car seat
    Waterproof pads

For you:
    Food, Food, and more Food
    Mesh Undies/Pads
    Tucks, Prep H, Witch Hazel Wipes
    Sitz Bath
    Nipple cream/pads
    Waterproof pad 

Lilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers

• Options
    edited April 2014
  • Options
    Sorry if this is a stupid question, but what are mesh undies good for? I don't know if I like the sound of that.
  • Options
    This is what I have on my list as my own personal buy again items:

Boogie Wipes. I liked the grape smell. I am weird like that.

Mustela Foam Shampoo for Cradle Cap. Only thing that worked for us, as in after a couple washes it never came back. Smells good. 

Aveeno Baby for Eczema and Aquaphor. 

• Options
    loulou182 said:
    Sorry if this is a stupid question, but what are mesh undies good for? I don't know if I like the sound of that.
    Things are a bit messy after delivery.

The undies they give you in the hospital are mesh.  I bought Depends for at home. 

As a FTM I was shocked at the first bathroom visit after birth.  First, there was a nurse 'assisting'.  I had no clue there was so much STUFF you needed to do. 

Squirt bottle to rinse everything with warm water.  Then there's hemorrhoid ointment if needed.  There's another tube of Rx stuff for if you've torn or were cut or there's also Epi Foam to spray on your bits.  Then you get the awesome ice pack pad.  It's gigantic.  Regular undies aren't going to hold that thing in place.  It's heavy and awkward. 

Married April 12
    DD June 13
    2 Furry Kids - 
  • Options
    @JoShan1719
    The Depends were great because when you get home you don't have to deal with a pad at all.  It's much more comfortable.  I did make thin maxi padsicles for as needed. 
    Married April 12
    DD June 13
    2 Furry Kids - 
  • Options
  • Options
    Do the depends bunch and show through clothes? I pictured wearing yoga type pants/shorts the first few weeks, but wouldn't want a diaper butt...
    Married November 2009
    Clara, August 2014 
    Baby Boy due October 2017
  • Options
    Yep, the hospital should supply you with all those wonderful things. Mesh undies, witch hazel pads, diapers, wipes.....I was about to leave all of it and the nurse insisted we take it. I am so glad I did, I love my peri bottle. 

• Options
  • Options
    loulou182 said:

The undies are awesome. They are magical disposable one size fits all fantasticness that work if you've had a csection or vaginal birth (I've done both). You just throw them away and in my past experiences were more comfortable than any of my panties the first few days. I know some people hate them but I know some love them. I embrace the hell out of them lmao.
    Soon to be mommy of 3!
    DS Grayson (3yrs) (Emergency Csec)
    imageDS Camden (1yr) (All natural Vbac)
    DD Isabella due 8/2/2014

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    I too loved the mesh undies, but I'm intrigued by the idea of Depends. Anything to make my life easier those first few weeks.

I loved lansinoh lanolin for my nipples, but only needed a small amount of it. The soft cotton breastpads were a lifesaver since I found them much more comfortable than the disposable ones. DH got me a kindle fire sort of as a "push present" which was great for helping me stay occupied and encouraging me to sit still and let my body heal.
  • Options

I'm going to have to start keeping a baby notebook and write all this stuff down... I'm going to forget it instantly... Lol... I'm still working on the car seat and stroller delima as well... Thanks for the help everyone....

• Options
    I plan to take some more of those hospital blankets for baby. They were the best for swaddling. We also had the rockabye baby cd's. DD still listens to them to go to sleep. Also wubanubs helped keep that binky in place pretty good.

photo 63d081b2-beb9-4486-ae4e-de648860b72c_zpsa8e37ee8.jpg Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    Earth mama angel baby nipple butter. I put it on every night after I showered while I was pregnant and used it after I fed my daughter. I swear its why I never had any pain breast feeding. I highly recommend it.
  • Options
    Personally, I never packed anything but a "going home" outfit for DS. This time I will actually bring some clothes. I hated how harsh the bleached blankets were. His skin was so sensitive and chafed red. I just want to dress this next kid up so he/she is comfy from the start. I had a cesarean, so I lived in my maternity yoga pants for a few weeks after. And a constant water bottle if you BF. But for sure I highly encourage to take with you whatever supplies you have leftover when you leave from the hospital. And I will pack myself extra underwear because my hospital had a "only two pairs of underwear a day" rule. Yuck.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    mv9310 said:
    For baby socks and mittens were a must. She scratched herself with her finger and toe nails. 
    @mv9310 We couldn't keep mitts on DS so we got onesies with mitten cuffs.

Zippered sleep sacks saved my life.

>>>---FSU--->

• Options
    These are all great tips, I enjoy reading them because I'm a FTM. Thank you all for sharing
  • Options
    Padsicles are just pads almost soaked in witch hazel and put in the freezer.

The depends didn't bunch too bad at all. I didn't wear them for too long. It's just those first couple of days that you're home and everything is hectic.
    Married April 12
    DD June 13
    2 Furry Kids - 
  • Options

Yea for FTM the baby bed cart thing was full of all sorts of stuff ,diapers, formula depending on the hospital you get a free diaper bag with stuff or at the last hospital they gave me a foot care basket. anyways take everything and like PP said ask for extra!!

I wonder if the military hospital will do this...I'll have to ask on my tour! 

I had DS2 in a military hospital and we didn't get a foot care basket but we got to clear the baby cart and get lots of extras.
    Soon to be mommy of 3!
    DS Grayson (3yrs) (Emergency Csec)
    imageDS Camden (1yr) (All natural Vbac)
    DD Isabella due 8/2/2014

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    LOL DH totally brought an empty bag to the hospital last time to use for all the stuff we took from the baby cart.

• Options
  • Options
  • Options
    Some sort of swaddle apparatus (Halo, Summer, Woombie, blanket...) even though my son only wanted his lower half swaddled, it was still key. He also wouldn't accept a paci unless orthodontic shape (we used Nuk). Still didn't love them but it bought me a few minutes' peace to tend to myself in the bathroom...

speaking of- YES to tucks, and mesh undies. And the gigantic maxi-ice-paks. Nothing prepared me for how awesome they were. Especially in a hot summer, without central air. Oh yes. I also made my own pads by drenching in witch hazel and storing in the freezer until my next pad change. Along with Dermaplast spray and a Peri bottle- heaven. Need ALL the perineum things.
  • Options
    Witch hazel is sold at CVS. Lots of healing properties! & works as an all natural deodorant too! Thanks for all the advice ladies, this FTM would've overlooked stocking up on those things!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"