School-Aged Children

Allowance

Do you/will you give your child an allowance? At what age did you/will you start? Will it be tied to chores?  Will the child be expected to pay for some of her/his expenses with the allowance?  Will you require some of it to go in savings?
High School English teacher and mom of 2 kids:

DD, born 9/06/00 -- 12th grade
DS, born 8/25/04 -- 7th grade

Re: Allowance

• I just started allowance now, at almost age 6. We've been doing it for about two months. I'm kind of following the 1-2-3 Magic plan for allowance. DD gets $5/week IF she completes her "chores" (which right now are pretty much just put your dishes in the sink, pick up after yourself,and clean up your room). If she helps beyond that, she can earn extra allowance, up to $2. If she doesn't, she has to pay me $1 per chore that's not done. I also give her an additional dollar each week that is JUST for savings. 

As far as what she spends it on, that's up to her. I pay her lunch and everything like that, but if she wants a certain toy, she saves up for it. If she wants a special treat, like a piece of candy at the store, she pays for it.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Throwing leaves <3
  • Years went by before my H and I got on the ball with allowance.  DD finally negotiated allowance with her dad a few years ago.  She gets $3 a week, which seems like nothing for a teenager, but it adds up quickly.  She used to scoop poop for the next door neighbor for $2/week, and she was rolling in the dough for a while.  But she got grossed out by the dog poop and quit that job.

I will occasionally offer the kids opportunities to do cleaning or maintenance projects that are above and beyond normal chores, and I will offer money.  The kids are free to take the job or not.  My son has never asked for allowance, but when he wants a new video game, he will take me up on more of these projects.  He'll work pretty industriously until he scrapes together the cash he needs.  For instance, he has his eye on a new 3DS game, and he's been doing some extra yard work for me this break.

We don't control how the kids use their spending money, but they each have a savings account, and we encourage them to divide their money between spending and savings.
    High School English teacher and mom of 2 kids:

DD, born 9/06/00 -- 12th grade
    DS, born 8/25/04 -- 7th grade
  • Loading the player...
  • We just started allowances and daily chores a few weeks ago. I have a 1 cup container of beads, and a 1/2 cup container DS has to fill. Once it's filled he gets $5. This way if he has an off day he can fix it. He's been getting a kick out of putting the beads in... he keeps track throughout the day and then puts the beads in right before bed. He has "chores" for beads - getting dressed w/o me having to say it more than once, brushing his teeth, feeding the cat, making his bed, cleaning up his toys, clearing the table of all the plates and condiments after dinner. Then other things we ask him to do that he doesn't get beads for... putting away his clean clothes, cleaning out his baseball bag, picking up the floor after crafts, helping me fold towels, etc. We're hoping he gets that there are some things you do because you're part of a family not for $$ and at the same time that working is rewarded. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"