July 2012 Moms

Eating strike

Veronica has been refusing all food for the last few days. She would only eat snacks and drink a little bit of milk. I am getting very frustrated. We have been battling eating disorder with my oldest one and even it is too early I am worried that she will go same route too. What are you giving your picky eaters? I don't want her to live on snacks, I need to find a real food that she would eat.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Eating strike

• KarmBKarmB member
    oh todays Lunch was cheese chunks, a pickle, and a few crackers. shes been munching on it was an hour now, but shes eating.

• Loading the player...
  • First I want to say how sorry I am that your oldest is dealing with an eating disorder. My little sister has been dealing with one for years and it's so hard on family and being helpless to do a whole lot to help.

Second - is V refusing anything except snack food or does she just want to graze her food if you put it on a plate? Some days Dagny is a grazer and won't eat in her high chair. On those days I'll just put food on a plate in our living room (bagel, fruit, string cheese) and let her eat when she wants.

• KarmBKarmB member
    it totally sucks and make you feel like shit. but my talk with my pedi set my mind at ease. if she needs more calories, she'll let me know.

• Thank you @KarmB, this is good to know that this kind of eating habits are normal at this age. She hates being in high chair and the moment I put her in it starts screaming and throwing food at me

. :-O  Sitting at the table with us does not work either - she wants down the second I put her  plate in front of her.

I was giving in and letting her to munch some while watching TV, but I know it is not good practice at all and she would just pick cheese pieces and fruits. Augh, I hope it is just a phase and I did not create a problem for the future by giving in to her  pickiness.

• KarmBKarmB member
    it'll pass. just keep offering. we don't use her high chair anymore. sometimes she'll sit in my office  at the desk but most meals are on the coffee table. she loves finishing her food to see what character is on the bottom

• First I want to say how sorry I am that your oldest is dealing with an eating disorder. My little sister has been dealing with one for years and it's so hard on family and being helpless to do a whole lot to help.
    Thank you, @britbratjf, it is a very hard thing to struggle. For years nothing worked - he developed food hate and forcing food on him was making it only worse! This was one of the worst fails for me as a mother....

• KarmBKarmB member

seriously, try a smoothie if you haven't. put spinach, raspberries and other secret healthy for you foods. nom nom nom

and yea I agre with Bell, When lilah is really bad about eating, i'll do an avocado. she'll eat that.

Just don't force it. Lilah has go to bed without a before. I felt like shit. but I cant hold her down and pour food down her throat. I think that night I gave her a fruit cup and milk.

• I am sorry your oldest is struggling with an eating disorder. It definitely makes you more away and more worried about V. My LO goes through eating phases all the time. She is a really picky eater and seems to refuse most things. She even goes through phases were she refuses things she normally loves. This usually happens when she is getting sick. A couple of weeks ago she refused ravioli which is her go to food. Turns out she developed a fever the next day and was sick for a few days. So maybe V is coming down with something.
    My LO also tend to be on the smaller side (10% weight). My pedi and I discuss weight and eating a lot. Basically the pedi said they are picky at this age and to just offer. There is not harm if they do not eat 3 solid meals a day. Hang in there!

• @bellaxanthe she does like treats like ice-cream and cookies. It's healthy regular food she refuses. She would not eat anything at dinner and as soon as I let her roam will ask for cookie... She might be having  a mild cold, since both me and DH are having one right now, so I hope she will start eating better soon. If she only eats one good meal a day I would be happy... I tried smoothie and she had one sip and then would not have it anymore :(

• KarmBKarmB member
    1 sip of a smoothie is better than none.

• @lkamenko‌ I'm so sorry about the troubles with your oldest. Please know that you did not fail as a mom. Eating disorders are scary and confusing. You did your best to keep him healthy.
    I understand being gun-shy too. Em being in the hospital for not eating made me really hyper vigilant about her calories. My pedi ended up calming me with pretty much the same speech karm got...grazing is fine.

I try to get things that I know she'll eat but have veggies snuck in, like the fruit snacks that are fruit and veggie, or the juice that is fruit and veggie.

Just keep reminding yourself that you are a good mom, because you are!!!!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I bribe her with TV. It's made her go from refusing everything to eating quite a lot of everything. If she stops eating, her program is paused until she takes a big bite. Today she happily chomped on lamb and broccoli and wild rice  - not so long ago it used to be just snacky type things. Not exactly the greatest solution in the world (could lead to over-eating for some kids) but it is working as a short term distraction to get our once low weight kiddo to try new things.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"