March 2014 Moms

HTW - alcohol and breastfeeding

I know we usually do hot topic Tuesdays but this is a day late.

Here's a good resource I found about alcohol and breastfeeding

https://www.lalecheleague.org/faq/alcohol.html

However, I'm still confused. If I drink a glass or two of wine, can I just not breastfeed the rest of that day (pump and dump)? Or, if I drink right after she breast feeds and then don't breastfeed for another 4 hours, is the alcohol gone?

How can alcohol leave the breastmilk once it has entered it? I don't get it.
Pregnancy Ticker

Re: HTW - alcohol and breastfeeding

• "Adult metabolism of alcohol is approximately 1 ounce in 3 hours, so mothers who ingest alcohol in moderate amounts can generally return to breastfeeding as soon as they feel neurologically normal. Chronic or heavy consumers of alcohol should not breastfeed."

But do you have to pump first to "flush your system" before BFing?
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I've never understood this either so I just don't drink. It's going to really suck this summer when I'm missing out on cold mugs of Boukevard Wheat, so maybe I'll have enough milk frozen I can just do a bottle or two.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 
  • Loading the player...
  • I haven't had any alcohol yet because I didn't had a clue how to deal with breastfeeding and drinking. Soon I will be in need of a sangria, so that Kellymom info helps clarify.
    textimage

• I've had a few drinks. Right after bf and she's napping, same as I did with DS & DD. I didn't have hardly a sip while I was pregnant, but while nursing I am totally fine with the occasional bevvie.
  • Like others said, it metabolizes through your milk like it does through your blood, so you don't need to pump before nursing if it's been long enough.

You can also buy alcohol test strips for breast milk to test yourself. You just squeeze a drop or two on and the strip turns dark if there's alcohol present. They are a little pricey, but you can get them on amazon. My target used to have them but I couldn't find them this time so I'm not sure if they still carry them or not.

• I want a hard cider or a honey orange wheat microbrew...I just haven't bought any yet. Once I do I will have one right after I pump.

But now sangria sounds super delicious too!
    Married 11/23/11, TTC starting 10/12, BFP#1 11/30/12, Adoption of stepson finalized 03/19/13,Loss of our daughter at 20w4d due to incompetent cervix 03/27/13, BFP#2 06/28/13, DS2 born 3/1/14.

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers 
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Pumping won't get the alcohol out of BM, if you are drunk and pump the alcohol will still be there.
    Alcohol burns out of your BM the same way it leaves your blood. It just metabolizes.

So if you have say 3 glasses of wine back to back and your baby needs to eat 2 hrs later, the alcohol will still be there and you shouldn't breastfeed your baby. You don't have to pump & dump, that is more so for comfort (engorgement) and to keep your supply up by not missing a "feeding".

If you have 1 glass of wine and your baby is set to eat 2-3 hrs later, you can breastfeed because the alcohol will be gone from your system. No pumping and dumping required.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • I have had one glass of wine here and there. I was told if I can drive I can breastfeed. 

Also, I had a date night and drank a margarita and 2 glasses of sangria. I gave him bottles I had pumped and planned on pumping and dumping (for comfort). Well just for fun I tested that milk with an alcohol test strip (it was about 3 hours after I drank) and it was negative for alcohol. I still dumped it, but I found that interesting. 

Me: 33 DH: 32 SA#1 low count (6mil) SA#2- now in IUI range!(30mil) Dx:MFI
    11/1- IUI#1,12/1- IUI#2, 1/2- IUI#3 all BFFN
    IVF#1. Long Lupron.ER 3/8 10R,4M,5F. ET 3/3-one 1AB, 2 frosties 5dp5dt-BFP!! Beta 3/25-794 Beta 3/27- 1794
    First u/s 4/8 saw hb. 4/22 missed mc 8w3d. d&c 4/26
    FET #1- bcp start 6/9. ET 7/12. 2 perfect blasts.5dpt-BFP!! 
    Beta 7/24 -1,239!! Beta 7/26- 2569 Beta 7/29- 7120.  U/S 8/7 hb 118! U/S 8/14 hb 143! U/S 8/20 hb 170. Graduated!! Stick baby stick! 

• I only drink a little right after I pump and as long as I feel good to drive I continue on with pumping and nursing. I am not a big drinker anymore though.
  • At my breastfeeding class, they said that they are more concerned about the way alcohol affects your ability to watch a child than they are about the alcohol being in the milk. If you're drunk, it MAY be okay for you to breastfeed, but should you be handling a baby while drunk?

imageimage

• At my breastfeeding class, they said that they are more concerned about the way alcohol affects your ability to watch a child than they are about the alcohol being in the milk. If you're drunk, it MAY be okay for you to breastfeed, but should you be handling a baby while drunk?

At this point it's been so long since I've had a drink I'm afraid I WOULD be drunk with one!!

• I am drinking a glass of wine and breastfeeding AT THIS VERY MOMENT.

The horror!!!

BabyFetus Ticker

• Thanks, everyone, this really helped to clarify!!!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • CactusGirlCactusGirl member
    edited April 2014
    You know how police men can draw blood to test for alcohol? And then the alcohol eventually leaves your blood over time (without you have to bleed it ou). It's sort of the same with BM. It enters your milk, but eventually goes away after time without having to pump and dump. How exactly it leaves I don't know.

This is where DH comes in ;-) I'm exclusively bf - you get baby duty!

BabyFruit Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • @CruiseGirl28‌

I always think that your screen name is mine when I'm skimming through. The capital C and G get me every time ;)

At this point it's been so long since I've had a drink I'm afraid I WOULD be drunk with one!!
    My first glass of wine hit me pretty hard! DH found it pretty funny and I was honestly surprised at how buzzed I felt.
    Kinley Diane
    Born 2/4/14
    Weighing 6 lbs 10 oz and 20 inches long

• I have also been curious about this lately. My bday is next week, and I'm desperate for a night out with the gals! <:-P

Elliott Brady was 7lbs 4oz & 19in
    born March 8th, 2014 at 9:08pm
  • Thanks for posting this! I've never really know. From what I've read, pump & dump isn't normally effective so I've never done that. I'm glad @DisneyAddict1‌ said that if you feel okay to drive then you're ok to breastfeed. Makes sense to me!

The most I've drank this far is 2 glasses of wine. It's been so long since I've drank and I'm such a light weight anyway, that I feel loopy after 2 glasses. 3 glasses is usually my max (because at that point between me and my H the bottle is gone). I drink at night when DD has gone to sleep so by the time she wakes up again, the loopy feeling has worn off and I'm sober when I BF. Honestly though, I think there are more important things to worry about than a trace amount of alcohol passing to my LO.
    Anniversary
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker   image

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Kari~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

• Eeeek! I didn't know it metabolized like blood! I'm going to have a Shocktop TOMORROW! I'm so glad this thread was posted!
  • mfarmer0811mfarmer0811 member
    edited April 2014
    I drank a glass of wine the other day, while breast feeding...at 2 in the afternoon. :D
    My pedi. Told me to drink a glass to relax.

ETA: oh and if I had some champagne, I'd be drinking a mimosa right now. DS almost fell out if my arms while we were sleeping last night, so my anxiety is pretty high this morning.
    Me 28 DH 30 Married 08-11-07 TTC since 07/11 HSG 01-21-13 Left FTB Seeing RE 1-28-13 RE 1-28-13 Both tubes blocked LAP surgery 2-15-13 Both tubes removed Started IVF #1 June 2013 Meds: BCP, Lupron, Gonal-F, Ovidrel, Medrol, Doxycycline
    Beta #1-BFP!!! HCG-55 Beta #2--111 Beta #3--2,825 Beta #4 22,031 1st U/S 7-29-13 Saw and heard our little sweet pea's heartbeat!! 109 bpm 

• lindsey1031lindsey1031 member
    edited April 2014
    Milk is made from your blood so when your blood alcohol level is normal, then you can bf.  If you feel "tipsy" then your blood alcohol level is too high to bf. 

Pumping and dumping is pointless unless you're missing a feed but are too buzzed to bf, in which case you should have a bottle handy.

ETA - I have even had a cocktail (or two!) when I plan it right!

• SomersIslesSomersIsles member
    edited April 2014
    From what I understand the pumping and dumping is just because you feel engorged and you're still tipsy and have no other way to get relief. Also, it's so you can still stay on schedule so it doesn't affect your supply.

I haven't had a drop of alcohol yet but life has been so hectic that I just haven't been in the mood.

Soon though... Soon...

Eta... Added a sentence
  • I have a glass of wine most nights with dinner and have always pumped on schedule. The Lc told me the driving rule...generally wait an hour after a normal sized drink (not like a full momma's sippy cup sized glass of wine!) and you are fine. I play it safe and wait longer than that...usually 2-4 hours depending on my schedule. I have dumped twice...once with a Cosmo that was just too close to my pumping time and I was definitely not 100% sober (tolerance is pretty much gone!). And the second was when I may have had 3 glasses of Champagne...I friggin LOVE champagne. Definitely dumped that time too. If I hadn't been umcomfortably full either time I would have just waited it out for a while. I'm weaning off the pump now so I generally have 6-7 hours between sessions which gives me a nice window!
  • This makes me want to go buy a bottle of wine. Our bar cabinet is seriously depleted since we had a lot of company and I never restocked while I was pregnant.

Think I'll get funny looks if I take my infant in the liquor store?

DH asked me to pick him up something when I was very pregnant and got weird looks. The other day he asked me to pick up something when I had the baby. Not happening lol

imageimage

• I have completely taken advantage of the ?Irish? belief that dark beer helps milk production.

I have one every few nights right after a feed. No pumping and dumping here.

I also had 2 glasses of wine on Easter. They were a few hours apart so I didn't feel anything.

• DH asked me to pick him up something when I was very pregnant and got weird looks. The other day he asked me to pick up something when I had the baby. Not happening lol

I don't get this.  I mean, do you think people would think you're giving it to the baby?

I bought a box of wine at the grocery store last week with the baby in the carrier...I'm totally classy like that!

I just felt so awkward. They stared at me when I was pregnant. I'm sure at some point I'll do it.

imageimage

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"