Babies: 0 - 3 Months

How did you??

LO won't sleep in her crib. We've tried. She's sound asleep when we put her in there but 10 mins after she's wide awake. She moves around so much that she turns herself around in there and moves towards the bumpers. We want to get her I'm there before she grows out of her rock and sleep.
How did you get you LO to go into their crib?

Re: How did you??

• Following this I'm having the exact same problem I fear the day he is too big for his swing
  • AlikiAliki member
    How old is LO?
    Is LO swaddled?
    Do you have a white noise machine in the room next to the crib?
    TTC #1 since 2007. Dx: Unexplained infertility. 4 IUIs in 2008 = BFN. IVF #1 07/09. DD #1 born April 2010 (40w5d).
    TTC #2 since 2011. Dx: Endometriosis and hypothyroidism. 2 FETs in 2012, BFP 6/12 but m/c @ 7 weeks. IVF #2 06/13. DD #2  born March 2014 (40w1d).
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • We put a heating pad in the crib on a low setting before putting DS in his crib to warm it up. We take it out before putting DS in his crib. We use a sound machine and a sleep sack since DS doesn't like to be swaddled.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Firstly, you shouldn't be using bumpers unless baby can roll freely front to back, back to front. If you use the bumper in baby's crib before then it can become a choking hazard.  

Secondly you've got a couple of different options.. firstly, since baby seems to be so wiggly and waking herself up swaddling might be really useful.  I've found that my baby seems to go back and forth with wanting to be swaddled. At first, when she was just born, loved it.  after we got her home, not so much.  And then she wanted to be swaddled for another couple of weeks, and now she can't seem to stand it.  

I've never tried it myself, but some people have suggested the use of a heating pad for the crib to warm it up before baby is in it.  That way it's not so much of a shock when you first put them down.  

Another useful trick, before you pick baby up, when she seems to be stirring, place your hand over her chest.  I find this sometimes works to soothe baby and she'll go back to sleep until her next feeding.  

Of course, I also find that sometimes nothing works, and baby only wants to hang out with me. So of course, take everything with a grain of salt.
    imageimage

• LO is 9 weeks. She likes to have a blanket but not swaddled. We've got the swaddling blankets and the swaddling sacks. I've never tried those. I've also never heard of the heating pad. That I will have to try. We used the sweeper for a nap when she's was about 3-4 weeks old. She liked that but I didn't. We have a heartbeat bear and a spa/sound machine. We also have a CD player with soothing sounds.
  • I like the Velcro swaddle sacks. It's the only thing my LO won't break free out of. She is super wiggly, and the swaddling helps her from wiggling herself awake.
  • jessib10 said:
    Firstly, you shouldn't be using bumpers unless baby can roll freely front to back, back to front. If you use the bumper in baby's crib before then it can become a choking hazard.  

Secondly you've got a couple of different options.. firstly, since baby seems to be so wiggly and waking herself up swaddling might be really useful.  I've found that my baby seems to go back and forth with wanting to be swaddled. At first, when she was just born, loved it.  after we got her home, not so much.  And then she wanted to be swaddled for another couple of weeks, and now she can't seem to stand it.  

I've never tried it myself, but some people have suggested the use of a heating pad for the crib to warm it up before baby is in it.  That way it's not so much of a shock when you first put them down.  

Another useful trick, before you pick baby up, when she seems to be stirring, place your hand over her chest.  I find this sometimes works to soothe baby and she'll go back to sleep until her next feeding.  

Of course, I also find that sometimes nothing works, and baby only wants to hang out with me. So of course, take everything with a grain of salt.
    I've started doing this with my little guy.  It actually works and buys time!  He started waking up around 5:30 and I was like "c'mon lil one, just one more hour!"
  • Agree with PP. If my LO wakes after only a few minutes of me putting him down, I place my hand on his chest or I rub his tummy and gently shush him. Baby N also uses a paci, and that works as well. 
  • Thanks ladies!! DH and I are going to use these tips on our dd.
  • I have found that using receiving blankets works much better than the actual swaddles.  You can wrap tightly, but not too tight of course.  We usually use two of them.  The key is to swaddle with arms down to the sides which is challenging at times, but don't give up.  Baby may seem like they don't like it at first, but within seconds they appreciate it!!;)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"