2nd Trimester

Bridesmaid Dress for 2 -3 weeks post c-section.

My husband and I were asked to be in our very close friends' wedding on September 13th. My due date s 9/1, but I will be having a scheduled c-section in week 39. I am still going to be in the wedding. I know a lot of you will advise against it for reasons that are very logical, but I am going to be in the wedding and have been assured that I will be accommodated as needed.

My question is about  dress shopping. I am not sure when or how to go about it. I am already a full figured woman and have always been a busty broad, so I know I will need a bigger dress and will not be shrinking back down 2 or 3 weeks after my c-section (who really does anyway, lol). What I am trying to figure out is should I shop for a dress now and then get it tailored the week before the wedding? Any style suggestions? Anyone ever been in a wedding so quickly after delivering?

Pregnancy Ticker
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Bridesmaid Dress for 2 -3 weeks post c-section.

• I had this issue with DS except the wedding was 3 months after he was born.  But still, I had no idea what to expect and the dresses were from David's Bridal which take 6-12 weeks to arrive so I had to get one early.  I ordered a dress 2 sizes larger than my pre-pregnancy size and was going to have it taken in if needed.  Turns out it didn't need to be taken in and I actually had to rock some Spanx underneath :(  I know everyone is different but I would definitely not turn down being in your friend's wedding.  Buy one 2-3 sizes too large to be on the safe side and have a seamstress ready to do alterations a week before the wedding.

Me: 32  H: 34
    DS #1: 8/10/11,  DS #2: 10/13/14
    TTC #3 since October 2017

• ss265ss265 member

I would try and get an empire style dress so there's more room around your belly and hips. Your boobs will be bigger pre-pregnancy so get a dress 2-3 sizes larger to accommodate those. Also be aware that you will have lifting restrictions for 6 weeks post C-section so you might not be able to help set up for the wedding etc. (depending on what they ask the BM to do).

FWIW, I was back to my pre-pregnancy weight 2 weeks after my C-section due to breastfeeding but I only gained 25 lbs to begin with and everything was re-distributed. I couldn't fit into pre-pregnancy clothes until almost 2 months after my C-section.

• Loading the player...
  • Is the color something you could find easily? Maybe your friend would let you buy a dress in the same color but a maternity style. Like pp, I needed to get myself into a dress 3 months after birth. I was down to my pre pregnancy weight but not size. I would have never guessed how big my boobs and hips would have been even 3 months later. If not, definitely buy 2-3 sizes bigger and find a good tailor with a quick turn around if need be.
    DH & I: 29
    TTC #1 4/2009 -  DD 2/5/10
    TTC #2 since October 2011
    2IF issues
    7/2013 - IUI #1: 50 units Follistim +  Ovidrel  = BFN
    8/2013 - IUI #2: 50 units Follistim +  Ovidrel  = BFP! Beta #1 (12 dpiui) 8/21: 45  Beta #2 (16 dpiui) 8/26: 301 Beta #3 (21 dpiui) 8/30: 1,929. 1st Ultrasound 9/4 - One perfect sac. 2nd Ultrasound 9/13 - Heartbeat at 124 bpm! Anniversary  

• Another vote for getting a dress a few sizes bigger and preferably a flowy, A-line dress. I'm in a wedding 5 days before EDD (yeah... we'll see how that goes) and that's what I did. 
    ::two chest pumps and a peace sign for Jenn:: ~ MrsJudgeyPants 

This is legal advice. Circa 2011 image
  • A friend of mine was in her sisters wedding 2 weeks after she gave birth to her daughter. Her sister was really accommodating and basically told her to buy a dress in the colour she wanted, as the style didn't matter to her. It happened to be black. So she was able to head out to any dress stores to pick up a black dress. Maybe that's something you can do? Pick a dress in the same colour tone afterwards? Or just go bigger try not to get anything to fitted as it would be a lot more work alternating.
  • rae_dylanzmomrae_dylanzmom member
    edited April 2014
    Shopping a week after the baby is born may be logical, but it sounds awful to me. However, I hate shopping on any given day. :)

My vote, a flowy and/or maternity dress that can accommodate a larger than normal bust (amazing how big my boobs got) in the color style of the other BMs.

Oh, and something that can accommodate breast-feeding, if you think you'll take time out for that during the wedding and reception. Come to think of it, none of my dresses accommodate breast feeding, and I haven't worn any of them since DS#1 was born.

If you can pre-plan the whole BFing situation out ahead of time - like where you'll be comfortable but not banished, you won't have to stress about it in the moment.
  • One of my BM was a month after giving birth and the bridal shop told her to to get measured for a dress at 4 months and then order 1 size up. They said typically that is a roomier version of the size you will be after baby is born for at least the first 2 months. They were right on.

I had natural waist chiffon dresses (new mom was the tall blond with the tats):

• ss265 said:

I would try and get an empire style dress so there's more room around your belly and hips. Your boobs will be bigger pre-pregnancy so get a dress 2-3 sizes larger to accommodate those. Also be aware that you will have lifting restrictions for 6 weeks post C-section so you might not be able to help set up for the wedding etc. (depending on what they ask the BM to do).

FWIW, I was back to my pre-pregnancy weight 2 weeks after my C-section due to breastfeeding but I only gained 25 lbs to begin with and everything was re-distributed. I couldn't fit into pre-pregnancy clothes until almost 2 months after my C-section.

This was me except it was more like 2 mos/6 mos.  I couldn't wear non-maternity pants for about 3 mos just because of the swelling and scar tissue, even though the weight was gone.  C-sections are fun.

Me: 32  H: 34
    DS #1: 8/10/11,  DS #2: 10/13/14
    TTC #3 since October 2017

• It sounds like you have gotten a lot of great advice already, but I'll chime in with my two cents. :) I know this is a different situation because it doesn't involve a C-section and wasn't post-birth, but my sister was in her best friend's wedding when she was 8 months pregnant. She also faced the sizing dilemma, so her best friend went with her to get a different dress in a similar cut and color a couple of weeks before the wedding. It looked beautiful, and everyone knew her circumstances, so it wasn't weird at all that her dress was different than the others. Good luck to you, and good for you for not unrealistically trying to force yourself into a dress that just wouldn't work for you at that time!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"