2nd Trimester

Heart rate and cardio...

Okay ladies , I have an ob appointment in two weeks but I've been wondering , do you need to keep your heart rate at a certain rate when doing cardiovascular activities such as the elliptical or when running? Online it's says around 140 bmp then some sites say there is not rate just when you feel tired and your body is telling you to stop . Help!

Re: Heart rate and cardio...

• I am wonderring too and will ask at my next OB appointment. When I was pg with DS my OB told me 140 but I believe that is no longer a set guideline. I usually try to keep it below 160 but I let it creep up to 170 while running today.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
                                   DS 10/02/09  DD 03/28/11
  • ss265ss265 member
    As long as you can talk while running, you should be fine. There are guidelines but it's more to make sure you can talk (and thus provide enough oxygen to the baby).

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • The 140 rule is an old guideline. My doctor has told me that an increased heart rate is fine and not to worry about the number as what is "safe" varies from person to person. She told me to work out normally and stop if anything feels uncomfortable. She said that while running I should be able to "talk to a running buddy" and that would be a safe pace. Stay hydrated, don't push yourself too hard, and just be aware of what your body is telling you.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I was just told I should be able to have a conversation while working out, otherwise it's overdoing it
    BFP 7/13 ended 9/13 MMC BFP 1/14 BabyFruit Ticker
  • You should just be sure to stay between 60-80% of your max heart rate. You can google the formula to figure this out -- it's based in your age. I was feeling really fatigued after my workouts for a while-- even having tunnel vision etc, so my trainer suggested getting a heart rate monitor. I got the polar ft7 and love it! I can easily stay in the right range and haven't had any issues since using it. I was basically getting my HR too high for too long.
  • teenybeanteenybean member
    edited April 2014
    I don't worry about it. I know if I'm pushing myself too hard.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

baby #3 arrived in September 2014...cannot get ticker to work no matter what I try!

• I ran my buns off through all my pregnancies and paid little attention to my heart rate & a lot of attention to how i felt. somedays it DID take me about 20 minutes of slow running before i felt warmed up but once i did, i was good to go. like they've all said, listen to your body--but keep it up if you can, even if you fall off the saddle from fatigue, workout on good days,, labor is hard but mine were great compared to a lot I've heard of! and my body whips right back after! 

• Almt0225 said:
    Okay ladies , I have an ob appointment in two weeks but I've been wondering , do you need to keep your heart rate at a certain rate when doing cardiovascular activities such as the elliptical or when running? Online it's says around 140 bmp then some sites say there is not rate just when you feel tired and your body is telling you to stop . Help!
    I listen more to my body than go off my heartbeat. Plus a heart monitor is BEYOND uncomfortable (when you wear the strap around your chest). I just be sure when working out that I'm not out of breath and can hold a conversation as well as drink plenty of fluids while working out.
  • My doctor didn't give me any restrictions.  He cleared me to run a few half marathons and was more concerned about me listening to my body than my heart rate.  His biggest concern was me ensuring I stayed hydrated.
  • I also got the advice about being able to hold a conversation while working out. My midwife said that her best advice is to use common sense; if you're feeling winded and out of breath, take it down a notch and don't push yourself. I've been making a point to stay hydrated and have just been listening to my body. Pre-pregnancy, I was going several miles in "aerobics mode" on the elliptical every day, so it's definitely been weird for me to only go between 1-2 miles on a lower setting. But that's what my body has been telling me to do, so I'm listening. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"