Pregnant after 35
Options

Other FTMs: Do others' parenting complaints freak you out?

I am a FTM, and I find myself getting annoyed by and shying away from people who complain about their children's behavior - toddlers especially. I know the road ahead is going to be tough in a lot of ways, but I also know there will be really good days. 

I am not trying to be ignorant or naive about what parenting has in store for me, but I do want to hang onto a feeling of excited anticipation for this baby, you know? 

I mean, if billions of people continue to have children, it can't be all bad, right? :)

CafeMom Tickers

January PAL siggie challenge; Good advice:

Re: Other FTMs: Do others' parenting complaints freak you out?

• Options
    Both pregnancies, the sound of a baby or toddler crying would about make me come unglued. So I completely get where you're coming from. I wanted to hold on to the image in my head of me holding my newborn and singing quiet lullabies while she stared up at me lovingly. Lol. STM here, but I'm still unglued by people who tell me horror stories of their little kids' behavior. I have an employee who has a 3 yo who has never slept thru the night. I told him he's no longer allowed to tell me about that. (And btw, I've decided his problem is user error, not a bad kid. They've encouraged her bad sleep habits. It totally will not happen to me.)
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I would try to pay very little attention to other people moaning about their kids. Your experience will be different. My daughter has been an absolute angel from birth and still is at 21 years old - but there have been, and still are, moments when I could have throttled her. My son was more challenging as a toddler but never, ever with either of them would I change a thing. That's kids, everything they do is a learning curve. And time really does fly by, so while you might be in the midst of the week from hell with tantrums and challenging behavior from a naughty toddler, it's such a fleeting time in the scheme of things.

As @shaylagirl says - the good times always outweigh the bad. It might not feel like it at the time (hence the moaning parents) but on reflection they really do. 

Smile and nod, smile and nod :)
    Master of 'the look' 
  • Options
    Listening to my friends and coworkers complain about their kids certainly influenced my decision to wait so long to have one. Hopefully I just know a lot of crabby people and the reality won't be so bad. ;)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    and ... just for fun, look at yourself. I'm sure you weren't a bag of lollies growing up all those years. Your mom absolutely adores you and wouldn't have changed it for the world :) well that's the way I've been looking at things lately (obviously there will be gray areas but I'm not going there)
    imageimage
  • Options
    Hmmm ... 16 years of teaching mostly first grade has meant plenty of parenting horror stories (and horror shows ...) and certainly might be at least a little part of why I waited so long to TTC, (I get to spend time with kids every day, which was enough for a while, plus then there are things like, it is incredibly common for first graders' parents to say their behavior is a million times worse at home than at school, for example ... or the scary (as  situations where there's a really really difficult chid and parents who seem to be doing everything right) but ... really - no, parents complaining doesn't really bother me too much.  Well actually sometimes it bothers me for the sake of the children involved when it seems like one of those situations when I'd like to just get that child out of the home if the parents are so nutty/miserable/can't handle things.  But that's bothering me more as a teacher than as an expectant mom.  Most people I really talk with and care to have conversations with express a point of view much like @shaylagirl that the joyful moments outweigh; the time goes by faster than seems possible; that even the super-annoying things and difficult times can be looked back at in a funny/fond way, etc. so I guess that helps.  And other people, who want to focus on the negatives all the time - I just don't pay too much attention to them in general, whether it's about kids/pregnancy or other stuff.  
    Me: 39  DH: 44  together since 2000 married 9/2004 TTC #1 since 2/2012
    BFP #1 6/5/2012  m/c 6/15/2012 about 5w3d   BFP #2 6/?/2013 m/c 7/1/2013 5w 3d
    BFP #3 8/25/2013  EDD 5/7/2014    DD A. born 5/8/2014!!  Love!!!!
  • Options
     I'll be honest-all my kids slept and ate relatively well, were active but not insane toddlers, and are presently awesome teens  (or so)!!!

So I don't really have parenting horror stories. I've heard tons but that wasn't my experience.
  • Options
    The parenting AND pregnancy horror stories are very irritating to me at this point. I think since DH and I were trying to conceive for so long and wound up having to go through 3 years of IVF treatments it makes it even worse. Even women in my immediate family who know of our journey are so oblivious that they can't help themselves but talk CONSTANTLY about out how tough their pregnancies were and how hard the first weeks, days, years, etc. are. People are just ridiculous. It usually starts out with the fake "how are you feeling?" Bait question...then it's all downhill from there. I've vowed to myself to not be "one of those women" after DD is born!!
  • Options
    Over the past 5 years with DS I have found that everything is a phase. As quickly as it starts it is over. You have to learn to love each phase even the bad because it really does fly by and you will be wondering how your once up all night infant or your tantrum throwing toddler is now entering kindergarten.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"