August 2014 Moms
Options

Family Drama - Need Opinions

I apologize for the long story but you will need the background info.

A few months after I got married, which was over 4 years ago. My mother left my father. He came home to half an empty house, no note, phone call or anything. My mother left without telling either myself or my brother. Just took off and assumed we would all be okay with it. I have always been a daddies girl, and I promise you he is one of the sweetest men there are. He would give the shirt off his back to anyone in need. My mother on the other hand has always been all about herself and very selfish. Growing up my parents were in severe debt because my mother would clothing shop, get her hair done, and nails done and instead of paying the bills. She still doesn't understand that, that is not the right thing to do.

Needless to say I was very upset and stopped speaking to my mother. I was very hurt by her actions. About a year ago, I decided that I wanted to try and make contact with her again. I made it very clear that I wanted to take this very slow, occasional texts/phone calls. We did meet up one time at my aunts house for an over night stay but were truly only around each other for about 12 hours. That is all we have seen of each other in 4 years.

Since then, I obviously became pregnant and I informed her of the pregnancy. She continues to ask questions all the time about the baby. When I give her information from my appointments she always says things like "that heartbeat is really fast, did you make sure that's normal?" or "He's already measuring a pound, isn't that large, you should ask if that is normal and if thats okay".

She complained that she wouldn't get to see me for Easter. I explained that we now live farther from "home" and we have started our own traditions since "the break up" happened.  She said she would come to me, but I told her that my father and in-laws would be there and it would be uncomfortable for eveyone if she came. She didn't say anything to me, but apparently went and bitched to my aunt and couldn't believe I would say that. My aunt says my mother does nothing but try to get information about me and the baby from her all the time. To the point where she bugs her in the middle of the night! 

Today I asked if she wanted to invite anyone to my shower (that her sister's are throwing for me) and she gave me this long list. I told her I would need addresses ASAP. She came back with a remark that I should have them. I told her I didn't and then she changed the subject and started bombarding me with questions about the baby, nursery, my husband, etc. I let her know that I feel as if she is pushing way to hard. I told her that I think she needs to have a realistic view of whats going to happen when the baby comes. She has not spoken to me since then. When she starts bombarding me and pushing for info I get so anxious I can feel my heart about to beat out of my chest. It's unbearable at times, I almost break down into tears.

I honestly (and I know it may sound bad) don't want her at the hospital when I have the baby and I don't want the baby to have a whole lot of interaction with her. I want my father there and my in-laws (who have been more of my family than she has over the past 4 years). They mean the world to me. I sadly don't want a true mother-daughter realtionship with her because I know how she can be and treat people and I don't want to expose my child to that. 

How do I break this to her? I know it will crush her, but I also don't want her to think she is going to be around for every little thing. Like I said I think she needs a realistic view of what's going to happen when the baby arrives rather than waiting till the last minute when I am in labor and having to deal with everyone being uncomfortable because she is there and my anxiety going through the roof. That is the last thing I need to deal with then. (And I just want to note, I never really knew what anxiety was until all this started with her) :(

Any opinions on how to deal with this are appreciated......

:(

Re: Family Drama - Need Opinions

• Options

You seem really clear on your wishes and feelings, so you just need to communicate them to your mom in a direct manner.  As PPs suggested, maybe a letter would be a good way to do this.

My mom can be a challenge at times, and my parents are also divorced.  She definitely tried to put me in the middle of their divorce and it just pushed me away from her.  Sometimes I struggle with my relationship with her, but she is my mom and I do want her in my life. 

I'll tell you what a therapist told me about my relationship with my mom - look at the relationship was something you have to manage.  Don't expect the give and take you have with your other healthy relationships.  You just have to do what you can to maintain some sort of a relationship, but don't expect it to be normal or rewarding in the way that your other relationships (e.g., your dad, inlaws, husband) are.  I think that you are already starting to do this by establishing boundaries with your mom.  Don't feel bad for telling her how you feel.

I'm sorry you're dealing with this.  It can be so hard when a parent disappoints you. 

imageimageimageimage
  • Options

She sounds a lot like my MIL.  She did similar things to their finances growing up and has a way to get so overboard on anything she manages to make everything about her.

You're going to need to set boundaries and learn to be ok with her not liking them.  It's more important for you to have control over your family's health, mental and physical, than it is for her to be happy with you.  I know it's a hard thing to get used to.

Good luck!

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    This is going to be really long, apologies in advance!.. Let me start by saying I feel for you! I have a sort of similar situation with my mom. My parents never had a great relationship and about 5 or so years ago we learned that my father had a pretty serious problem with addiction. He was constantly lying, stealing from us and even went as far as opening up credit cards and bank accounts in myself and my siblings names (as he obviously knew all of our personal info) . It was really rough. He tried to get help but always ended up relapsing. We supported him the first time around as difficult as it was but the second (and third time) I was completely done. It was effecting me in so many negative ways and I couldn't take it anymore. As a last ditch effort to keep stringing my mother along and gain her sympathy he told everyone he had a brain tumor. (We quickly realized this was not the case as he was never willing to let anyone go to the doctor with him and it was always a different story) Unfortunately, his story worked on my mother. My siblings and I let my mother know our concern and that we were going to keep our distance and did not support their relationship. I felt bad as my father clearly needs help but there is.nothing any of us could do for him. At this point I was more concerned about my mom. Well, last summer sure enough he, unfortunately, proved us right again and ended up in trouble, leaving my mom to fend for herself, without a dollar to her name. Of course we were all angry but we picked up the pieces and told my mom as long as she would go into therapy and get a divorce we would be there for her and help her in any way we could. None of us have spoken with my father in almost a year and everything was slowly getting better. Recently, we learned my mother is speaking to and seeing him again. Naturally, I was not pleased. I let my mother have it and have cut ties with her for the time being. I don't even know where to go from here. Im so upset that she could do this to us but she doesn't see the problem. It has caused a lot of tension within the whole family. Of course I want her involved but not under these circumstances. I need her to be in a good place and right now she's not. I think it goes without saying that everyone wants to share these experiences with their mom and it makes me sad to think I may not be able to. As hard as it is I know I'm making the best decision for myself and my baby. I can't allow my son to be exposed to toxic behavior and negativity. So, sorry for the long rant but you're not alone! I agree with PP. I have started seeing a therapist and it is great to have someone else to talk to. Especially someone with an outside perspective. Sometimes I second guess my decisions and wonder if I'm being too harsh and it's nice to be re-assured that I'm doing what's right for me. Also, it's important to realize there is no right or wrong. It's a unique situation and you need to take it day by day and do what's best for you. For me, I have asked my mother not to contact me for the time being. (She still has, on a few occasions which is frustrating but I juat ignore it and try to let it go) You can only control your own actions and hope she respects your choices/decisions. I've made it very clear to my mother what I need from her and what I expect her to do in order to build a relationship with her ever again. Write her a letter if it helps, sometimes its easier to communicate. That way you're able to get everything out without being interrupted or getting upset/angry. On particularity hard days, like when I have a doctors appointment and want to share something with her but remember I can't, I write it down in a journal which has seemed to help. My SO has also been really great and supportive along with the rest of my family which I'm grateful for. I'm sorry you're dealing with family drama too, it definitely sucks. Just try to focus on all the good things to come! For me, thinking of the fact that I will soon have a sweet new baby and our own little family helps keep me going! Hang in there!
    BabyFetus Ticker

Our first.. Baby BOY! EDD 8/20/14 :) 
  • Options
    Seriously? There were paragraphs ...I swear! Stupid iPad :/ Sorry!!
    BabyFetus Ticker

Our first.. Baby BOY! EDD 8/20/14 :) 
  • Options
    I don't have anything to add, I just want to say I'm so sorry that you are going through this! How frustrating and painful. (((Hugs!))) I how that you are able to come to a place where YOU are comfortable. Your relationship with your mom is now about what you want, not her. :)
                    We're Going to be a Family of 5!

Lilypie - (PaHE) Lilypie - (4noI)

Lilypie - (2q9u)

• Options
    ashleyluckeashleylucke member
    edited April 2014
    @Kiley820 I'm so glad to know I am not the only one out there with issues like this. Sometimes when I have to be harsh, I do worry about making her upset but you are right it is about me and my family now. I have to do whats best for us! :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"